Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

P. Tampanensis... quick question....
    #3020668 - 08/18/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

About the tampanensis...

Is it possible to find out where the "taxonomic conference" was held where Pollock and Lincoff found the species?

I mean more specifically than simply "SE of Brandon"

Just an idea...

thanks

cosmicsea

in it for the love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: P. Tampanensis... quick question.... [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3023814 - 08/19/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ive thought about that too

i have no idea how to figure out where the conference was.... give it a go!~

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: P. Tampanensis... quick question.... [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3026050 - 08/19/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

God bless the fungus community.

FMRC has a 20.00 dollar book on the whole species history and beyond. I wonder if it is in there. Do you or anyone know of this book or have a version of it?

MORE MUSHROOMS THAN YOU OR I WILL EVER KNOW

cosmicsea

Thank you for this opportunity.

Bless you all.

Thank you.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3028673 - 08/20/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

never heard of that book before.....

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3028990 - 08/20/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Taken from www.mushroomsfmrc.com

Teonanacatl May 2004 .pdf document on the site (free download)

QUOTE---

"PSILOCYBE TAMPANENSIS" By S. L. Peele....................................$10.00 The most complete
source of information ever published on this mushroom. It is a collection of all the articles
published by FMRC. All areas discussed including it's history, Dr. Pollock, cultivation of fruit
bodies and comotillos (sclerotia). Soft cover ms. A great reference source for this rare mushroom
that was only ever found just one time out in the wild. Overseas Airmail $15.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------

np: sacred tibetan chant (naxos world recordings)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3029401 - 08/20/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i did a google search for "brandon florida, taxonomic conference, mycology"

and i think i found your answer...

Plant Pathology Newsletter - March 2000
... his BS in Botany from Brandon University in 1990 ... Conference and Show in February in
Orlando, Florida. ... Hanlin presented a lecture entitled "Taxonomic criteria in ...
www.plant.uga.edu/printnews/news2000.htm - 61k

RESEARCH and ACTIVITIES
... Taxonomic and phylogenetic emphasis is placed on the ... During 2002, Brandon again served
as a ... Peninsula, Russia, Massachusetts, Vermont, Florida, and California. ...
depts.washington.edu/wtu/2001Research.html - 35k -

Those are just a couple of the links i found;
(my computer is too slow and i dont have the time right now to click on them and look)

try the google search on your own and tell us what you come up with;;

GG

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3029720 - 08/20/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

GreatOne234,

Pollock's discovery of P. tampanensis occurred in 1977

your search for the conference is way after Steven Pollock's death is out of date. He Died in the early 1980's. I have have been in contact with Linda Dearing, his girl friend for many years, also a student fron the University of Wisconsin.

In fact I had just been talking to Dr. Andred Weil in the early 1980s when he informed me that Steven was talking to Paul Stamets right befor the murder. You can read some of that at my grape vine section of my site.

mj

Mj

And the mushroom is named Psilocybe tampenensis Guzman and Pollock.

Here is from Guzm?n book on Pollock's and Lincoff;s discovery.

"The Genus Psilocybe, Gast?n Guzm?n, 1983. Page 209-210.

Quote:

Habitat and Distribution: Solitary on Sandy Soil in a meadow. Known only from the type locality. Fruiting in September.

Studied material., U.S.A., Florida, near Tampa, SE of Brendon, Pollock s.n., Sept 3,

(Type ENCB; Isotype NY).

Cultures of P. tampanensis were made by Pollock (see Pollock and Guzman, 1978) from a sporeprint of the type, The fruit bodies did not attain fullsize during their devlopelemtn and usually failed to sprulate. Pileus small (less than 10 mm in diam.); stipe thin (1-2 mm in diam.), usually very short 9less than 35 mm in lngth) or sometimes elongated (up to 113 mm in length). P. tampanensis is strongly hallucinogenic as is P. mexicana and P. caerulescens. Fruit bodies were also obtained in a green houe; these were robust and sporulated copiousley. The peliues sometimes reached 38 mm in diam.; stipe thich (Often 4-5 mm wide) and reaching y up to 60 mm in length.

Carpophores tend to gr3wo in large clusters on the casing soil. Pollock obtained fruit in a grasy ara of his garden, where mycelia from the cultures of the greenhouse were introduced; these fruit bodies are normal in macroscopic and microscopic features. All the fruit bodies obtained through the cultures are deposited int he ENCB. They were collected in San Antoinio, Texas (U>S.A.). Production of sclerotia in cultivation was observed in P. tampanensis, as Heim and Cailleaux (1957) and Heim et al., (1958) reported in P., mexicana. It is interesting to observe that P. caerulesens produces sclerotia in the wild conditions as the author (1978c) recently reported. It is also t interesting to note that in Psilocybe, sclerotia have only been reported fromt hee three species..

[Author's note from JWA.; Sclerotia has also been collected in massive quantities frm Concocybe cyanopus) (Gartz, 1994).

The name of the species refers to the locality where the type was collected.

mj

Below is the line drawings of this species form Guzm?n/s book of the carpophores (372), Spores (373) and chilocstydia (374).

Now to make this even more interesting. Here is the work from paul Satmet's book. "The Mushroom Cultivator int he color setion of both Tall thin P. tampanensis shrooms as reported above by Guzman,

and a picture of Pauls collection of sclerotia from P. tampanensis

Now to even change fully the parameters of Stev Peeles book, which I myself have never read. In the Feb issue number 7 of TEO-2004, Peele published the following fotograph of what he claims is Psilocyben tampensnsis with text concerning Steven Peeles discovery and herbarium deposits. Not suure where Steve got his informatiopn but here is what Peele photographed as P. tampanensis and his comments abput the alledged herbarium deposits of Pollock's P. tampanensis.

The photo by Peele which he lists as Psilocybe tampanensis. It actually looks like Psilocybe caerulescens.

and Steve Peeles comments about Pollocks Herbarium deposits which do not coinside with the published reports of Guzm?n.

Something strange in the neighborhood. Who you gonna call, Shroom Busters.

AS I noted above I have no idea what Steve has written in his book on Steven Pollock.

And I believe the congerence was in Tampa, Florida and was a boring taxonomic conference which caused Gary and Steven to go looking around the region for mushrooms. And the mushrooms were discoved se of Brendon.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (08/20/04 08:24 PM)

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3029904 - 08/20/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You should try e-mailng Paul Stamets Yourself
Goto to his web site you will find a link to e-mail him
www.fungiperfecti.com

It is not past the relm of possibility you will get an answer.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: P. Tampanensis... quick question.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3029931 - 08/20/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

mj, we're looking to figure out exactly where the conference took place,
because (from the stories) it sounds like they found the mushroom just a short walk away from where the conference was going on...
-there is no info (i have found yet) about which exact conference it was, and where exactly in brandon (like the exact building) it took place.

and Whuddo you mean you were just talking to andrew weil? lol

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3029973 - 08/20/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

oh and it is forum rules not to discuss in public here exact locations of psychoactive mushrooms.

but considering only one was found.. still if anybody actually figures it out, i guess don't post the actual building here because who knows how many crazy florida people will go there looking for it..

just, PM the information to me, and ill be the crazy florida person to go and check it out haha :smile:
-just keep in it PM i guess,,

GG

do that google search i showed though, and look through all the sites,, i bet the answer lies in there somewhere somehow.

GG

i dunno, my location warning is probably unneccessary
and honestly would doubt that after so many years the mushroom would still grow there.

i think steven pollock actually lived in Texas at the time (???) and was just visiting florida for the mushroom convention..
-my bet would be that if he returned to texas that he was contacting people in the area (of brandon) to go to his spot and look for more, i don't know, that is what i would do..maybe.

GG

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3029997 - 08/20/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah and cosmicsea i forgot to mention

like mushroom john noted, he wrote a wonderful paper in memory of Dr Pollock, and it is at his website mushroomjohn.com.

Steven L Peele's book probably contains no more historical data about the discovery than what mj's paper has. SLP's book probably just contains extra info about how to cultivate the mushroom

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: P. Tampanensis... quick question.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3030279 - 08/20/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

mj, hey thanks for the time you took to edit your post and expand it and let me know.

Quote:

And I believe the congerence was in Tampa, Florida and was a boring taxonomic conference which caused Gary and Steven to go looking around the region for mushrooms. And the mushrooms were discoved se of Brendon.

-Hm. see that's the first time anyone has ever mentioned Tampa to me about the whole story...

a couple years ago i went to the local library and found big geographical maps of the tampa area, looking at brandon, and found some maps (sorry geographical might be the wrong word but) they showed different (...thinking of the words to describe...) qualities in the land in the tampa-area, with more sand, or more elevation.. (im totally not describing this correctly). But i figured that the TYpe of area brandon was described as might be what to look for..

it's a definately case for the shroom busters. w/o/a/d.

this was interesting to me too;

Quote:

Solitary on Sandy Soil in a meadow. Known only from the type locality. Fruiting in September.

-see i'd never seen anyone say "Meadow" before about this shroom.. a meadow.... and i also dont remember ever seeing "September" before either. My memory sometimes sucks though. That right there my friend is helping push us in the correct direction.

I'm in a hurry now, have to go and sign off to use phone.

In hurry.

Keep shroomin
GG

Thanks again mushroom john..

GG

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3031159 - 08/21/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just a quick thanks for all the info. I am going to have to sit down and read it all. MJSHROOMER: Peace and Love + God Bless You for ALL the information --- and for your contributions to history in the making (of mankind and humanity). GGREATONE234-- may you find Tampanensis and also P. Mamillata!!! For these will be a great find.

After I print and read, I'll let you guys know what's happening. It's almost September and the conditions are good---

In another note: a buddy of mine once claimed to have found a Cubensis on the university lawn/dirt area. He is semi-to-strongly reliable, BUT a long-time cubensis hunter. I am curious about this not-so-small miracle because, he may have misidentified it and it really could have been something like P. Tampanensis.

Have you ever found Cubes on a lawn (w/manure I'm sure to some degree)./

Peace out

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3031370 - 08/21/04 02:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, sorry to post twice in a row.

First of all, thanks for the article, mjshroomer-- that is very out-there. I know that Pollock is no joke and that it's heavy. The most interesting picture that you displayed is the one of the supposed tampanensis which you say could be caerulescens. That is odd. It's appearance is very far cry from the cultivated look...So the question now (open to whomever feels so inclined...) is:

Do the appearance of the cultivated species from experience look that vastly different than that of this one single somewhat mysterious photo?? Any ideas?

GGreatOne234-- The Google search came up with nothing. Check this--- Brandon University is in Canada. Brandon isn't that big really, it's like a big large suburb/midway to the country (lake wales, etc) and city (tampabay-clearwater-stpete...)

Oh yes-- I've read this also: it says SE of Brandon which I believe, BUT... get this: Brandon is SE of Tampa, which could mean it was discovered in Brandon, SE of Tampa (where the conference was held, if and only if it was indeed held in tampa).

GGO234-- Again, you mention the maps. It appears to support the evidence that maybe it was in Brandon that it was found, and the building or whatever was in tampa.

Last-- yes I will respect and not post the listing. I don't know about this , but you must be crazy. Like you're saying, it's a real drop in the bucket as far as finding it. But it all adds up somehow!

Thanks MJSHROOMER God Bless and GGREATONE234 God Bless You and Find A Lot of New Shrooms, ok?? And Peace to all the Shroomery folks, be safe.

Check this---what's a meadow doing in Brandon, FL?? and what does a meadow look like there?

Disclaimer: I am strictly in it for the love. peace

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3033317 - 08/21/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

meadow: land in or predominantly in grass; especially : a tract of moist low-lying usually level grassland

meadow mushroom: a common edible brown-spored agaric (Agaricus campestris) that occurs in moist open organically rich soil and is often cultivated

meadow grass: any of various grasses (as of the genus Poa) that thrive in the presence of abundant moisture; especially : KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS

kentucky bluegrass: a valuable Old World pasture and meadow grass (Poa pratensis) naturalized in America; called also bluegrass

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale