Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata?
    #3019837 - 08/18/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hello Shroomery Folks---

Writing from Tampa Bay. God Bless You for such a great debate involving a wonderful ally and old-man-of - the woods, FUNGUS.

Wanted to mention The Psilocybe Mammilata Species. Went to Highland Hammock in Sebring, FL before they got nailed by Hurricane--didn't find any Mammilata!! I was thinking about Dr. Thiers being a wild man out there and finding it. That area has the most pasture (for FL) I believe. When Florida was young the cows used to roam freely North and West of the Lake Okeechobee. Forget going there now! The Marshall Law Institute is giving citizens the taser. (Only for visiting!!! Youch)
While in the Highland Hammock found some real interesting Witch's Hat- type mushrooms, bright red and just plain evil!!! Do these mushrooms have a psychoactivity such as the Datura sp.???

I also posted about the Pan Foe. debate. I think there is a close species or a tie between the species. The lawn mushrooms I've seen don't have a white stem. I don't know enough about it, except that myself and a friend have both claimed it to be active. I think it may be a pan sub. but the problem is is that it appears to be a bit skewed from its descriptions (leaning more toward pan foe.). Will have to wait till next season.

What about psilocybe Subf. ?? I think I've found this one before.

Anyways, always be safe. Don't ever go in a field unless you know it 's totally safe. People are insane and they don't have anything better to do than chase some weird hippy types for 3 hours with a shotgun in their car.

Much Love

cosmicsea

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata? [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3019856 - 08/18/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If you're finding active lawn mushrooms in Florida you might be finding the same thing GGreatOne finds... Some unidentifed species of Panaeolus.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3019871 - 08/18/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i went to highlands hammock a couple years back,
looking for that mushroom with no luck.

what do you mean by Psilocybe subf.?

the panaeolus lawn shrooms were first documented at this website on march 1st 2000.
they were first thought to be Panaeolus castaneifolius, but microscopic examination led to believe they are not.
they are not subbalteatus either.
-lately i've been speculating if they could be Copelandia westii.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3019930 - 08/18/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:
what do you mean by Psilocybe subf.?

I think he means Psilocybe subfimetaria.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata? [Re: Gumby]
    #3019970 - 08/18/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah thats what i kinda guessed,

those would be 'blue ringers' and do not grow in florida.

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3020135 - 08/18/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

GGreatOne234:

Yes. I was referring to P. Subfimetaria. I recall a few years ago I found what looked like a straight-up liberty cap in a hillsborough county field. These from stamets look the same practically (in the single photograph, p.157). Just wanted to mention it. I really don't know what it was though.

That is interesting about the lawn mushrooms. I am guessing they are unidentified or some sort of specie alteration of some sort (*). The bland appearance of Pan Foe. (from most pics) doesn't have a psycho-active look...although these are more close to a sub with a bit of the dullness. I've also seen lawn fungus in the north like New Jersey that looked almost like a light gold/white--a psychoactive appearance (didn't get to examine them closer!). By the way this is all amateur speculation---

Anyways, there's many times that look to nature that gives it away as being psychoactive. Take the cacti for example. And in this--- these lawn fungus look different than the white stem pan foe. or even pan cast. but I will take pictures next time (if it comes).

GGreatOne234---

Thanks for a great site for Fungus!! I used to check it when it had the listings!! (Even though I couldn't find them!!)

Peace

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3020326 - 08/18/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Blue Ringers don't grow in florida or any of the southeast.
-They grow in the pacific northwest.

Liberty Caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) don't grow in the southeast.
-They grow up north, in the pacific northwest and also in canadian provinces, a northern shroom only.

I've never heard or seen of a single person ever finding P. mammillata (except for 30-some-odd years ago with Dr Thiers). It seems like it could be a rather common shroom though, even in florida. It is also listed to have been found in Jamaica (i think?) and Mississippi (i think?) that's just off the top of my head.

I've been looking for mammillata for years, tampanesis also
-with no luck.

The 'lawn shrooms' might be Copelandia westii or Copelandia chlorosytis (i spelled that last one wrong i think)

It seems to me like 90% of the time people go mushroom hunting in florida it is in cow pastures looking for magic mushrooms. Im not sure if there is too much left to be discovered new species-wise in the fields. I think its great that you're looking outside the field for other stuff, like mammillata..

Though i remember maybe 4 years ago i found a really interesting Panaeolus or Copelandia species in a cow field..never did get that identified and im not sure if i still have the pictures.. the mycelium on those stained blue too, i'm not sure what species it was.

Ive also found Panaeolus subbalteatus in cow pastures here.

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3020591 - 08/18/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

GGreatOne234,
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes. It was a few years back, went to a dense forest area bordering a field. There were many many many crazy fungus growing (no dung though) and I found what really really (in my mind) _looked just like_ a liberty cap or p subf... who knows what it actually was---. But I do believe that there will be unsubstantiated finds in psychoactive mycology in these following years...and decade to come.

I have a hard time getting myself into fields around here... I prefer not to socialize with anyone unreasonable. Besides, I find mycology rewarding outside of pastureland psilocybin because of the possibilities of discovery esp. in FL ... it is so strange here.

What about spore spreading tactics??? For instance getting bundles of prints and just driving them out to areas in FL and releasing them in abundance???

Thanks a lot!

cosmicsea

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3021201 - 08/18/04 11:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

P subfimetaria resembles small liberty caps ith a ring and are found in lawns and pastures int he pnw. They are known renamed as Psilocybe sierrae.
mj

Offlineadamole666
The UK sub man

Loc: UK, Yorkshire
Re: Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3022214 - 08/19/04 05:31 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I know the one your on about, this is the one which everybody attacks me for saying its active, they look so much like foes it is unbeleivable and i think the only way to correctly identify them is with spores or somet. PEACE. (finally somebody who is with me, very close looking to foes)

--------------------
Pan subs.........libertys.........UK!
Sub man says: "Always check your balls for cancer"
Sub man also says: "Oh susanna, don`t you cry for me"
Sub man says: "When my datura grew, i grew"
Sub man also says: "I`m singing in the rain"
Sub man says: "I`m standing alone, i`m watching you all, i`m watching you sinking......"
Sub man says: "All those moments, lost, like tears in the rain......."
Sub man says:" for your datura, brugmansia, and liberty cap needs, go to:
http://www.angelfire.com/clone/hallucinogen

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3023679 - 08/19/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

and i'm uncertain/confused with how mammilata is actually spelled...

a few years ago mj posted a paper about the mushroom (here), from one of those mycology journels (i think mycotaxon) and it was spelled "mammillata", not "mammilata" like in Psilocybian Mushrooms of the World.. and ive also seen it spelled differently a few other places

ive tried to put it together with the latin and greek suffixes in mushrooms demystified like this;

psil- naked, bare, hairless, smooth
cybe- head

mamm- nipple, teat, breast
lat- broad, large

when somebody finally finds this mushroom im going to be all over them asking them to show me where they grow lol, i absolutely must-see, 'spent too much time looking for it already..

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3023780 - 08/19/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok it is actually spelled with two l's in PMOTW. mammillata.

stamets says it is found in soils rich in woody debris, in humus, and sometimes on clay soils. Found along trails, shady banks, and in coffee plantations. This mushroom is probably widely distributed throughout much of Florida but goes unrecognized by most hunters of the more massive Psilocybe cubensis.

----

ive walked so many trails fitting that description every week of the year for years, never finding them. So i went to highlands hammock SP during the same month Dr Thier discovered it, and the trails there are basically the same like all the ones i walk here, and im only a 1something hour drive west of the highlands hammock.

and i asked a coffee-shop owner here if there are any coffee plantations in florida and he said no.

PMOTW also says that they have been reported from Jamaica, Mexico, and Bolivia

And i just looked through the distribution of psychotropic mushrooms paper by Gartz Guzman Allen and i was wrong, the mammillata has never been reported from any other gulf coast states.

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3033620 - 08/21/04 05:50 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Copelandia westii is a dung inhabiting Copelandia that is similar to Copelandia cyanescens, it just lacks clamp connections in the hyphae.

Copelandia chlorocystis is a lawn mushroom NOT associated with dung that resembles Copelandia cyanescens, but has 2-3 spored basidia, never 4 spored, and oversized cheliocystidia.  It has the Characteristic pleurocystidia associated with ALL Copelandia species.

The unknown Panaeolus that is being picked throughout Florida in grass is a Panaeolus, not a Copelandia.  It does not have the Typical Metuloid associated with ALL Copelandia species.  It has pleurocystidia that are virtually absent.  When present they are imbedded in the hymenium, and do not even make it above the Basidia. 
The context of the mushroom cap does not blue.  The only bluing associated with the unknown is at the base of the stem, and on the mycleium attached to the stem.

The unknown would fit in the acuminatus/castaneifolius complex. When viewing the unknowns spores under a scope, they appear to be relatively smooth. Mature spores are darkely pigmented and it is difficult to get a clear image of the ornamnetation on the spores.  However, some of the younger spores, and various spores are sometimes lacking pigmentation and on these spores you can see some minor roughness to the surface of the spores.  This would sandwich them between acuminatus and castaneifolius.

If you consult the Book  "A field guide to southern mushrooms" this unknown is being called acuminatus.  It mentions no bluing!!! I think the smooth appearance of the spores led Smith and Smith Weber to lump these with the acuminatus.

If you go by "Psilocybin mushrooms of the world", it would merge with castaneifolius and acuminatus, and the UNKNOWN being picked in the coastal regions of the West coast.  The one that resembles Paneaolina foenisecii, but has black spores and blues at the base.

This unknown and castaneifolius ( possibly the same mushroom) are the actives that get mistaken for Panaeolina foenisecii and Panaeolus subbalteatus.  Since it has black spores it is not Panaeolina foenisecii.  If Panaeolus subbalteatus were growing in grass without dung present, and solitary as opposed to clumped, and alot smaller capped and thinner stemmed, it could key out here.

According to Stametes Castaneifolius is rare(Maybe just PNW) but this mushroom is not rare in South Florida.  It can be found on new turf, and old established turf. Heavy rains and mowed lawns bring fourth lots of these mystery Pans throughout the region.  They are quit common RIGHT NOW in St.Augustine grass on certain properties.  On others I never find them.

All of the Florida rain of late Really sent up a bumper crop of them on OLD ESTABLISHED TURF that I had only found a few here and there over the past two years.  This the third year, I looked on this property, and they are present in 90 percent of the parking lot medians with grass in them.  They came up a week before the boletes down here, and are still present in the grass now. 

Rule out any and all Copelandia.  The chlorocystis drawing looks RIGHT, but the Metuliods are clearly lacking from the unknown, as well as bluing of context.  Some unknown specimens do BLUE more then others, but it is always restricted to the lower stem.  I have found maybe two specimens in the last couple years that showed any tinge of blue in the Cap, and I was probably HALLUCINATING it. :wink:

Chlorocystis dissapeared, becasue I have been to all the properties south of Broward county that they were picked at. They are missing from the local flora. 

Chlorocystis is an important find.  It seems to branch Panaeolus to Copelandia, to bad it dissapeared with the 1970's.  SURE WOULD LIKe TO GET A LOOKSY AT one of the deposited specimens!!! Would answer alot of questions!!!

The Gary Menser paper floating around the internet on Panaeolus in the PNW still seems confused as to differentiating Acuminatus/castaneifolius, and completely ignores the Unknown mentioned by Stametes and Aurora. It disregards it in the name of misidentified subbalteatus growing in grass. 

The unknown is so variable macroscopically that it could be mistaken for any of the listed mushrooms that have black spores.

I would say the best description is Panaeolus castaneifolius, but it is anything but rare when you are in the right localities.  My microscope lacks phase contrast so getting accurate images of spore ornamentation is difficult.  I would imagine upon a very good examination of the spore surface, some roughness might be visible.

If anyone has access to KNOWN Castaneifolius specimens and or Chlorocystis specimens and is reading this post, give me a PM. If you pick a mushroom in ST. Augustine grass that resembles the one we are talking about, and it shows mild bluing at the base of the stem and on the attached mycelium at the base, PLEASE PM ME.  Trying to Map it's distibution. At what point does the Panaeolina foenisecii start to replace these unknowns? Georgia, South Carolina, etc...

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Lots of Mushrooms, but where's the Mammilata? [Re: EonTan]
    #3037632 - 08/22/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3037674 - 08/22/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Copelandia ggreatoneifolius var shroomerii

i think its a copelandia mushroom,
look at the ones on my hat,
copelandia mushrooms

those three shrooms in that harvest tripped me out.

and that hat was lost last year at a dead show

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom