Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
pc to pc file transfer - please help
    #3008380 - 08/16/04 08:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok, this is maybe very basic stuff but computers are not one of my stongest sides-

I have one laptop where I have some big files I want to transfer to this pc. The laptop does not have a cd burner. They both run windows xp pro and both have network card and I can use the cable I use for my adsl modem. But how do I set up the computers? If anyone would take the time and give me a short easy guide or link me to one on the net that would be very cool and help me out alot:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRadcon
ConsistantlyConfused

Re: pc to pc file transfer - please help [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #3008514 - 08/16/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If you have or can borrow a router you can setup a small network (easy to do in XP) and transfer them that way. Or

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx

and use the section called

Migrating to a New Computer Using a Direct Cable Connection

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3008681 - 08/16/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mystiq_Shaman said:
ok, this is maybe very basic stuff but computers are not one of my stongest sides-

I have one laptop where I have some big files I want to transfer to this pc. The laptop does not have a cd burner. They both run windows xp pro and both have network card and I can use the cable I use for my adsl modem. But how do I set up the computers? If anyone would take the time and give me a short easy guide or link me to one on the net that would be very cool and help me out alot:)

Just connect the two computers using a crossover cable (please note that if you do not have a router or hub you need a special cable and the one for your adsl modem won't work). Then assign them ip addresses (like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2) and share the files on the laptop and transfer them. Easy as can be.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #3009035 - 08/16/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

inaddition to setting up the IP addresses, you will also need to set Subnet mask and Gateway.
If you're using the IP addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, you should set your subnet mask on both machines to 255.255.255.0 .
Set your Gateway addresses to 192.168.1.0 .

Where do you enter in all of these IP addresses????
Go to:
Control Panel
> Network Connections
> right-click on your network connection
> click Properties
> Select the TCP/IP Settings for your Ethernet Adapter
> click Properties
> Select the radio button for "Use the following IP Address"
> Enter in the IP, Subnet, and Default Gateway Addresses.

After you have the IP addresses set up on each machine, you will also need to enable file sharing on both computers.

The first part of this requires you to set up an identical Workgroup name on each PC.

>Find you "My Computer" icon, right-click it, and go to Properties.
>Select the tab that says "Computer Name".
>Click the button that says "Change..."
>enter in a "Computer name", that is unique to that PC.
>at the bottom of the window, there is a section "Member of"...
>select the "Workgroup" radio button.
>Enter in a "Workgroup" name of your choice. (The workgroup name will need to be identical on all of your PC's)
>click OK, OK to save your changes.

Now, you need to share a file.
>Right-Click on the folder that you want to share
>Click "Sharing and Security"
>On the Sharing tab, select the radio button for "Share this folder"
>Enter in a Share Name, and click APPLY.

To access that folder on your other computer,
you will need to find an Icon that is named "My Network Places".
Because my computer is pretty tweaked, I can't really tell you were to find your "My Network Places" icon, because I"m sure mine is in a different place than yours. But once you find and open it up, you'll be able to figure the rest out from there.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #3009042 - 08/16/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think what might be easier for you though, if you are not so savy with computers... try to find a USB-to-USB data transfer kit. Best Buy does not carry these anymore. CompUSA may have them. You'll probably find a USB-USB data transfer cable at one of the smaller, mom-n-pop computer stores near you.

The transfering is slower than with Ethernet, but is usually easier to set up.

By the way...the HELP file included with Windows XP has quite a bit of information in it.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
Re: pc to pc file transfer - please help [Re: mycoguy]
    #3016953 - 08/18/04 03:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

excellent :smile: thanks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale