Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecolormepurple
Having Fun
Loc: Kansas
To mist or not to mist, That is the question
    #2963837 - 08/04/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yesterday morning, I woke up and fanned my cakes. Much to my surprise I had a total of 40 pins on 2 pf cakes, this morning I woke up and that number was doubled the pins were also doubled in size. My question is should I continue misting the cakes now that they have pins or should I only mist the inside walls of the aquarium? I have searched the forum and can't really find a definitive answer. Some people say mist the cakes with pins and some people say not to. I really don't want to kill the babies so please somebody help me out. Thank You in advance. I have attached a picture of one of my pinning pf cakes.

--------------------
:smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrewBaccA

Re: To mist or not to mist, That is the question [Re: colormepurple]
    #2964089 - 08/04/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Mist above the cake and let it fall on the cake.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2964154 - 08/04/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Once you have your pins set misting does not hurt them just like nature friend :wink: I always use a very fine mist from a pumpup misting bottle ($6) If ya don't have one of those and you really should then like DrewBaccA said mist above the cakes so only the fine mist soaks them, Those cakes with that many shrooms waiting to happen will need lot of moisture that the cake alone will not provide, I'm also hoping ya have those cakes double ended as that makes for a very nice water reservoir! :wink: Sounds like your going to have some fun, congrads!!!

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: To mist or not to mist, That is the question [Re: hyphae]
    #2964219 - 08/04/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I would use a syringe and inject spring water into the cake to moisten it if it needs it. Misting can make the pins abort if you overdue it. Use about 10-15 ml per cake I'm guessing. It really seems to make them bulk up in size as they mature.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineThe_Cultivator
Self ProclaimedGenius

Loc: ethiopia
    #2964679 - 08/04/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

if the cakes are good and moist and the humidity of the terrarium is at a good humidity than misting is not really needed.

--------------------
"So, how long has it been a month?"

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: To mist or not to mist, That is the question [Re: The_Cultivator]
    #2964889 - 08/04/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

On a related matter...if the casings are pulling away from the sides, this indicates they're drying out, correct?
I've got moisture on the sides of my fruiting chamber, but even if this is the case, casings can dry out, is this correct? Thank you.
Oh, and Cultivator. That avatar is fucking sweet. LOL.

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlinecolormepurple
Having Fun
Loc: Kansas
    #2965037 - 08/04/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful replies. I guess I will mention that I did a water dunk on the 2 pf cakes that I have. I soaked them in distilled water for approx. 12 hours. My aquarium is also very humid. I have the aquarium covered in plastic wrap with 1? to 2 inches of perlite covering bottom. I fan about 6 times a day with a small wear around your neck type fan and then mist the walls after fanning. The pins appeared about 4 days after the water dunk and 24 days after innoculation. I do not have the cakes double ended.his is my first grow and I just followed pf tek beginning to end except I couldn't find brf so I used brown rice whole. I also have some rice cakes (just brown rice and water) They are being water dunked as I speak.

--------------------
:smile:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2968432 - 08/05/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Not misting the casings IMHO is very bad, your casings aren't going to wick the moisture needed to keep the substrate from drying let alone the massive amounts of water mushrooms require to mature. I have seen totally saturated casings with pools of water when a fogger malfunctioned and they came back as one of the best yielding flushes I've ever seen in my life and I've seen the best BTW! I've always preached and this is a fact mycelium grows optimally with a casing at "near saturation" which means no dripping or run off. If your casings are pulling away more than a little then your casings are being depleted of moisture plain and simple. The only time ya don't want to mist directly is when you are pinsetting other than that it's just fine just like real life outdoors just don't over do it, several light mistings are always better than one heavy misting!!! Water delivery is often misunderstood by the novice but in time they will learn :wink:

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: To mist or not to mist, That is the question [Re: hyphae]
    #2968626 - 08/05/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ive found that syringes give the best water supply without risking aborts. Aborts will almost always occur if the pins are sprayed directly. Also, it sometimes kills the overlaying mycelium, turning it yellow. Water Syringe=success!  :mushroom2:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: To mist or not to mist, That is the question [Re: QandA]
    #2968778 - 08/05/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've never had a problem myself unless over watered but different strokes for different folks! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures