Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story)
    #2945271 - 07/30/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

HAS THIS CIRCLE OF FUNGI BEEN CAUSED BY THE FAIRIES OR THE FAIRY RING FUNGUS?

10:30 - 29 July 2004
A Circle of mushrooms which has cropped up in a Lincolnshire garden is causing a conflict between the residents and the experts.

The ring of fungi has appeared on the lawn of Margaret and Marcus Hope's house, in Lancaster Drive, Scampton, near Lincoln.

The family believe the circle is caused by mystical fairies which have planted the mushrooms and are living among them.

But experts are disputing the claim and believe the ring is the result of the fairy ring mushroom - which naturally occurs in circular formations.

The chief supporter of the mystical fairy theory is the couple's daughter Lydia.

She said: "I think it's a fairy ring - the mushrooms have been positioned by the fairies and they live there. Of course, I cannot see the fairies because they are too small and shy."

Lydia (seven) spotted the mushrooms three days ago and there are now hundreds of small cream coloured fungi across the lawn.

She added: "I like the round circle but unfortunately some of my friends have trod on them.

"Once the mushrooms die I think the fairies will go into the countryside and live among the trees."

Since the original sighting, a further mushroom circle has appeared in the garden.

Mrs Hope said: "We have lived here two years and have never seen these mushrooms before.

"Suddenly there are two large circles of mushrooms lying next to each other - it looks like a pair of spectacles. We all like them, especially Lydia, they just seem like a lot of fun."

The family have said they will not be mowing their lawn for fear of destroying the fungi.

Mrs Hope added: "Lydia seems to think the fairies have created the circles and I agree with her.

"It's the first time we have seen them so it seems a plausible explanation."

But mushroom expert Ken Rowland (77), of Dene Close, Skellingthorpe, Lincoln, said there was a scientific explanation.

He said: "A spore from the fairy ring fungus has landed on their lawn and germinated.

"Each year the roots from the mushroom spread outward by 10cm, eating dead grass roots, and then another mushroom appears.

"This is what causes the circle - the fungi are not doing any harm to the lawn so do not need to be destroyed."

Last Wednesday the Echo reported on David Wells, from Branston, near Lincoln, who also discovered a circle in his garden.

He said: "I have no idea what has caused it, though somebody must have an explanation. It may be called a fairy circle but I don't believe in fairies - there must be a more logical explanation."

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Blastrid]
    #2945348 - 07/30/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Talk about news drought. The daughter had some cute theories though.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2945595 - 07/30/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

More background info on faery rings...

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/141_faeryrings.shtml

Excerpt: "The perils of straying into a fairy ring terrified rural folk in 17th century England, as evidenced by an incident recorded by the antiquarian John Aubrey (1626?97). Writing in 1663, he tells us that his curate, Mr Hart, was out walking over the local downs one night when, as he approached a known fairy ring, he was surprised to see ?a quantity of pygmies, or very small people, dancing round and round, and singing and making all manner of small odd noises.? Seemingly paralysed, Mr Hart could only stand and observe until, eventually, the little folk observed him. They rushed towards him and surrounded him, causing him to fall over. On the ground, the small creatures swarmed all over him, pinching him and making tiny, rapid humming noises. Eventually, they withdrew and, when day broke, Hart discovered himself in the middle of the fairy ring. He was lucky. Fairylore is full of stories of careless trespassers whisked off to fairyland, returning the following day to find some 20 years have elapsed, or forced to dance in the circular revel until some faithful friend comes to the rescue."

--------------------

Edited by Papaver (07/30/04 04:16 PM)

Anonymous

#2945628 - 07/30/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I saw two faerie rings this year near my land. Psyathrellas and Lepiotas

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Organic]
    #2946206 - 07/30/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Its from the myc speading out, the growth in the center is spent.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2946350 - 07/30/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Wow i alwways thought it was where the spores landed....You need to write a book about your vast knowledge of mycology

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: OldSpice]
    #2946402 - 07/30/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

chill out man, there talking about when theres a ring of shrooms with none in the center. The spores first started growing in the center but then that soil gets spent and the patch grows out in a ring.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#2946545 - 07/30/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Now, now, folks. We?re here to celebrate the faeries! :laugh:

Just look at them. Don?t they look happy?

See that funny looking thing in the foreground? That?s a mushroom. They looked different in medieval times. I?m not sure who that is up in the tree.

PS: gr0wer is correct (at least, according to that article I linked to), but I like the faery explanation better. It?s more interesting...

--------------------

OfflineDEATH666
Adonal
 User Gallery

#2946576 - 07/30/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I saw one in my field.

--------------------
Ah Shit

OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: DEATH666]
    #2947344 - 07/31/04 02:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Hart, was out walking over the local downs one night when, as he approached a known fairy ring, he was surprised to see ?a quantity of pygmies, or very small people, dancing round and round, and singing and making all manner of small odd noises.? Seemingly paralysed, Mr Hart could only stand and observe until, eventually, the little folk observed him. They rushed towards him and surrounded him, causing him to fall over. On the ground, the small creatures swarmed all over him, pinching him and making tiny, rapid humming noises. Eventually, they withdrew and, when day broke, Hart discovered himself in the middle of the fairy ring

best thing ever said by any human being EVER!
  :tongue2: :tongue2:

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Kingkole]
    #2947359 - 07/31/04 02:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Seriously, did he eat some of those shrooms or something?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2947423 - 07/31/04 03:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

LOLL>!!! Thinking about all those english men and women talking, in their accents, with the the whole pigmes dancing around the fire....  :grin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
What?

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Papaver]
    #2948315 - 07/31/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

See that funny looking thing in the foreground? That's a mushroom. They looked different in medieval times. I'm not sure who that is up in the tree.

I know who that is, up in the tree. I see faces like that in big leafy trees ALL the time after I eat mushrooms. He's the same guy who's face i can see in the wood floors at my old house. wierd things....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Crop circles? How bout Mushroom circles (news story) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2948322 - 07/31/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I know that guy. He sure gets around doesn't he? :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck