Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of beef
    #2942918 - 07/30/04 12:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been watching PBS coverage of the convention and it's nearly made me sick.  I can't wait for the GOP convention.  I will keep a bucket close to the couch and fill it several times....
    Anyway, my question is, who the fuck are these protestors?  Granted, if you're there, go for it if you like.  But, what I'm asking, really, is, is this sort of agitation/expression doing any good?  I sympathize with the people out there burning effigies of Bush and Kerry; however, I just don't see what this accompllishes.  Is it just something to masturbate to? 
      C'mon folks!  Help me out here!  :mrt:

GB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of beef [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2942925 - 07/30/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

are you really questioning why people voice themselves?

the flag burning and "effigie" burning is comming, imo, from feeling like theyre voices alone arent doing enough.

maybe its a symbolic step between non-violence and violence.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2942931 - 07/30/04 12:44 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Basically, the point is this.

Do you have controll over your government? No.
So what do you do? Protest.
How do you do it? In groups and loudly.

Basically, the protestors were more upset that they were shoved out of the way than anything. They were restricted to not be seen when they do have a right to be anywhere they want on public ground. This basic right waqs denied and that is why there was so much conflict, because they were put in "cages" as the media called them.

Invisibleadrug

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of beef [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2942932 - 07/30/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing actually. Why are a bunch of anti-Bush protesters spending their time protesting at the DNC? Wouldn't it make more sense to protest the Republican Convention? Are they just protesting to protest?

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of [Re: MAGnum]
    #2942939 - 07/30/04 12:47 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:
Basically, the point is this.

Do you have controll over your government? No.
So what do you do? Protest.

... and this will accomplish what?

Quote:

Basically, the protestors were more upset that they were shoved out of the way than anything. They were restricted to not be seen when they do have a right to be anywhere they want on public ground. This basic right waqs denied and that is why there was so much conflict, because they were put in "cages" as the media called them.

Well, that sure speaks volumes about the Democrats and how they're concerned to hear the voices of the common man...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of beef [Re: adrug]
    #2942942 - 07/30/04 12:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

were they anti bush protesters?

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2942981 - 07/30/04 01:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Technically protesting is supposed to get your voice heard, but all it does these days is make your shit hot with the police. Most protests like this may seem like they don't carry weight, but is shows the discontent of some Americans which cant be ignored.

Hempfest is my favorite protest/rally.

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: MAGnum]
    #2943027 - 07/30/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My problem is that it is too easily ignored.  Plastered all over CNN or what have you. 
    I see these "freaky" types being led away in handcuffs on the "news." 
    Well, shit.  I just wonder what the motivation is of these disparate groups of people.  Get arrested?  How much air time does that get you?  And are you communicating your message effectively?
      I don't think so.  Protests should be carefully thought out, I guess.  The protest ought to be coherent. 
      I'm just sick of this "coalition" of leftist groups agitating and looking stupid.  I'm sad because I sympathize with leftist causes but they are too easily manipulated by national media and are labled "radicals" or "unpalatable."  Y'know what I mean? 
      Where's the smart progressive population in this country?  Not hyperactive twentysomethings with a "cause"?
      Fuck all, y'all.  Rock on.  :headbanger:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2945759 - 07/30/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all, I just happen to be one of the protestors, convenient eh? I havn't been around this community for awhile but I'm sure some of you will remember me.

To answer your questions I'll start with the disclaimer that I can only truly represent myself and no one else, although I think most of the other protestors would share a similar perspective as me. The main issue at hand is that Kerry and the Democrats really aren't any better than Bush and the Republicans. Kerry supports the war in Iraq, Kerry is an Imperialist rich motherfucker who promises to continue American imperialism, and continue serving the rich and fucking over the poor.

The majority of the protestors are anarchists. We agree that the lesser of two evils is still evil, and that being lenient on the slighly more friendly version of the same damn policies is ridiculous. The reason you probably have no idea what we are about is greatly due to the fact that the media always choses not to depict us honestly. Reporting is extremely one sided, extremely narrow and extremely sensationalized.

I'd also like to point out that the effigy was a two faced dummy or both Kerry and Bush.

If any of you really want to find out more what this is about the mainstream media is never the place to discover that kind of thing. Go to the people themselves. Go to the Bl(a)ck tea society's website, they were the organizers. Go to the Boston indymedia. There is way great detailed reporting, which accurately represents us. If anyone has anymore questions for me go ahead and ask. I'd prefer not to read any juvenile slander about my choices or or political affiliation but I'll totally answer any real and respectful questions.

I hope this post helped you out.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2945777 - 07/30/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'd also like to point out that a lot of us realize protests of the type that just happened don't really have a powerful effect apart from putting our bodies on the line to be beaten to a pulp by heavily armed cops. We need to diversify tactics. That was attempted here, with the organizers urging a day of decentralized autonomous actions. Basically that means that people for "affinity groups" of maybe 3-10 people they trust and relate to tactically, and plan thier own action either secretly or openly depending on it's legality. It's a lot more strategically intelligent because it is a lot harder to oppress people if the law enforcement doesn't know who is going to be where and what they are going to do. Also if helps if people have no knowledge of who has done what else for security purposes.

Protests draw a lot of heat, and in this political climate make it difficult to actually accomplish any intended goals. Protests get a lot of media in ways that decentralized actions can't and won't, so the choice of tactics depends on the intent of the action.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2945931 - 07/30/04 05:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ty NiamhNyx.

--------------------

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: BleaK]
    #2948495 - 07/31/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"Well, that sure speaks volumes about the Democrats and how they're concerned to hear the voices of the common man... "

well, clinton did over his 8 year term have several people removed from his presence either because of a question they asked, or a sign they were holding. i think one guy was taken out because he had a shirt on.. I think it said "Clinton Sucks" or something silly like that.

If you can't laugh at a shirt that says "(You) Suck", you need a punch in the throat..

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: adrug]
    #2950701 - 08/01/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
Why are a bunch of anti-Bush protesters spending their time protesting at the DNC?

because an anti-bush protestor cannot get withing 5 miles of anything related to bush.

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#2950765 - 08/01/04 01:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think we're essentially agreeing here.... I can understand someone's drive to protest. I just wish there was a more coherent strategy. But it's difficult, I suppose, to be effective and utilize national media to convey a group's message and intentions in a clear, unadultered way.
I suppose I was just lamenting the unfortunate way in which protest groups get sidelined by cable television news.
I understand the message of the protestors at the DNC convention; I just wish it was delivered to most of America in a better fashion. Cheers.

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #2953094 - 08/01/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the protestors are there because Television cameras are there, and as per my previous post they are 'detained' in a 'free speech zone' several miles from anything dealing with the RNC or bush.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2954232 - 08/01/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:pennydrop:

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Who the fuck are the protestors? What is their side of b [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2955860 - 08/02/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, in most cases the television cameras are there because the protestors are there. They are opportunists looking for some good shots of crusty punk "terrorists" getting beaten by lines of riot pigs. Stuff like that sells real big. Protestors are there because they feel there is something to protest and end up having camera after camera shoved into thier personal space. A lot of us don't speak to the press at all and would prefer not to be filmed. Perhaps if the perspective of the media was a clearer representation people would be more into media. I watched a news reporter take notes while asking a comrade questions. His answers were extremely articulate and intelligent and the notes the reporter took down were "they are anarchists" "don't like government" "advocate property destruction," and similar completely stripped down and stupid soundbites that missed the points the comrade was making entirely. Why would we bother to speak to media at all when they misrepresent us so completely?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom