Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Rasmussen Reports - Badnarik In Debates
    #2931546 - 07/27/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

68% Say Badnarik Should Be Invited to Debates

Monday July 26, 2004--Sixty-eight percent (68%) of American adults believe that Libertarian Party candidate Michael Badnarik should be invited to participate in the Presidential Debates this year. A Rasmussen Reports survey found that just 20% believe Badnarik should not be invited while 12% are not sure.

The Libertarian Party candidate has been on the ballot in all 50 states for each of the past three elections and Badnarik is expected to be on every state ballot this November.

When voters were asked to choose between President George W. Bush, Senator John Kerry, and Badnarik, 46% said they would vote for the Democrat, 43% for the Republican, and 3% for Badnarik.

However, 29% of voters said there are circumstances under which they would consider voting for Badnarik. That includes 25% of Bush voters and 30% of Kerry voters.

When voters are informed that Badnarik opposes both the War in Iraq and the Drug War, 34% say they would consider Badnarik. That figure includes just 11% of Bush voters and 50% of Kerry voters.

The survey also found that 10% of Americans identify their political ideology as libertarian rather than conservative or liberal. Sixty-two percent (62%) share the Libertarian view that tax dollars should not be spent to support the Republican and Democratic National Conventions.

Some great news from an extremely credible polling service.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Rasmussen Reports - Badnarik In Debates [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2931565 - 07/27/04 05:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell he'll be in the debate. I hope i'm wrong though. I like how 20% (morons) don't want to even have another voice in the debates. Those fuckers deserve whatever they get.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Rasmussen Reports - Badnarik In Debates [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2931585 - 07/27/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell he'll be in the debate. I hope i'm wrong though.

Things are looking a lot better than they were at almost any other point in the LP's short history. Polling at 3% this early in the cycle(the last LP Presidential Nominee, Harry Browne, finished with something like .35% of the vote) is a very good sign. The Badnarik campaign is also going a completely different root than previous Lib candidates by focusing almost all of the campaign contributions(and all they have is contributions, the LP as always turned down federal financing, from which they would have a much larger war chest, on principle) on official polls(Rasmussen and Zogby primarily) such as the one above, and TV ads(which will be produced by Hollywood Director Aaron Russo, who came in second place in the race to be the LP's Pres Candidate).

Quote:

like how 20% (morons) don't want to even have another voice in the debates. Those fuckers deserve whatever they get.

Only problem is that whatever they get, I get too.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2931596 - 07/27/04 06:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I hope he differs from Harry Brown in the way he campaigns. Brown (IMHO) thought he should be elected because he was a Libertarian and nothing more. He didn't play the necessary game that is needed to get elected (for better or for worse). I don't know why there are people out there who "claim" to be a capitalist but are more then happy to be stuck with Vanilla and Chocolate candidates. Being stuck with 2 candidates in the debates is not a choice.

"Only problem is that whatever they get, I get too."

unfortunately it's the way it's always been. I'll be voting for Badnarik so if/when Bush or Kerry wins i'll have a clear conscience.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2931907 - 07/27/04 09:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

who do you write to get this accomplished?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2931921 - 07/27/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What is the threshold that they have to achieve to get federal funding in the next election cycle?

Those are interesting numbers. You would think that they could have at least one debate with various political parties to promote options in the marketplace of ideas.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Rasmussen Reports - Badnarik In Debates [Re: afoaf]
    #2931955 - 07/27/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

why don't the LP spend some money to get onto
cable networks with their own hosted debates and
invite the repubs and dems publicly?

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2932042 - 07/27/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
I like how 20% (morons) don't want to even have another voice in the debates. Those fuckers deserve whatever they get.

their fate may be yours as well.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Rasmussen Reports - Badnarik In Debates [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2932070 - 07/27/04 10:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that's already been said. read.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2932075 - 07/27/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

but I dont want to!

:lol:

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2932096 - 07/27/04 10:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:shake:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2932117 - 07/27/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
I'll be voting for Badnarik so if/when Bush or Kerry wins i'll have a clear conscience.

does the cleanliness of your conscience really mean so much to you? Why would you put moral principle before practical applicability? That's just silly. What, are you trying to 'store your treasures in heaven'? I never knew you were such a religious dude, man.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2932121 - 07/27/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:shake: :nonono:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2932143 - 07/27/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

who do you write to get this accomplished?

The poll? Uh, Rasmussen is a professional polling agency. The Badnarik for President Campaign has allocated around $20,000 towards a series of these polls.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2932314 - 07/27/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Why would you put moral principle before practical applicability?

So called, 'practical applicability' is precisely what has got us into the situtation we are in today, the situation which you blame others for. Hypothetical situation: every time you drink your Ovaltine? you get a stabbing pain in your eye. Question: do you ever consider removing the spoon from your cup before drinking from it or do you continue to do what you've always done? My guess from your comments is that you wouldn't consider removing it. So you choose to blind yourself to possibilities and pat yourself on the back for being 'practical.' Eldridge Cleaver said that you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. The problem is an ever growing and repressive statist system, you choose the same tactics which have maintained it and helped it to become progressively worse - not very imaginative.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2932354 - 07/27/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
why don't the LP spend some money to get onto
cable networks with their own hosted debates and
invite the repubs and dems publicly?

I'm fairly confident this idea has been brought up during previous Libertarian Candidacies but it always comes down to Risk Vs. Reward. Buying out time on any semi-popular channel is an ENORMOUS expenditure. To allocate so much money with the likelihood that all that will happen is the republicans and democrats will look like cowards(probably to a small number of people) as they refute the offer, has simply not appeared to have been a wise allocation of resources. Hopefully some more polls followed by a good deal of well-placed, well-timed, and professional commercials will lead to the public requesting the Libertarian appear in the debate.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2933250 - 07/27/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that's what I'm saying....is it just poll numbers
that will persuad whoever it is that hosts these
debates to invite Badnarik or is there someone
I can harass to forward the cause?

who puts on the debates?

who chooses who attends?

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2933416 - 07/27/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Almost all of the following information comes from: Open Debates

Quote:

who puts on the debates?

Presidential debates were run by the civic-minded and non-partisan League of Women Voters until 1988, when the national Republican and Democratic parties seized control of the debates by establishing the bi-partisan, corporate-sponsored Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD). Posing as a nonpartisan institution committed to voter education, the CPD has continually and deceptively run the debates in the interest of the national Republican and Democratic parties, not the American people. The CPD, co-chaired by the former heads of the Republican and Democratic parties, secretly submits to the demands of the Republican and Democratic candidates. Accordingly, the CPD insulates the major party candidates from challenging questions, difficult issues, and popular third party and independent candidates. As a result, under the CPD's control, the debates have been reduced to "glorified bi-partisan news conferences," where the major party candidates merely recite prepackaged soundbites and avoid discussing many important issues.

Quote:

....is it just poll numbers
that will persuad whoever it is that hosts these
debates to invite Badnarik or is there someone
I can harass to forward the cause?

The CPD requires a candidate to be polling a ridiculous 15% in at least three major surveys of the populace. This is, of course, a Catch 22, as a minor party candidate who hopes to get his message out needs to be in the debates, but to be in the debates it is required that your message already be out to at least 15% of the electorate.

You should definitely sign the petition and read the wealth of information they have on the Open Debates site listed above if you're interested in changing this terrible structure.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck