Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Bush: 'I Want to Be the Peace President'
    #2909295 - 07/20/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...ws&section=news

By Adam Entous

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (Reuters) - After launching two wars, President Bush said on Tuesday he wanted to be a "peace president" and took swipes at his Democratic rivals for being lawyers and weak on defense.

With polls showing public support for the war in Iraq in decline, the Republican president cast himself as a reluctant warrior as he campaigned in the battleground state of Iowa against Democrat John Kerry and his running mate, former trial lawyer John Edwards. Bush lost the state in 2000 by only a few thousand votes.

"The enemy declared war on us," he told a re-election rally. "Nobody wants to be the war president. I want to be the peace president."

Bush has called himself a "war president" in leading the United States in a battle against terrorism brought about by the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on America.

"I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with war on my mind," he said in February.

Despite a surge in attacks in Iraq and U.S. warnings that al Qaeda is plotting another major strike, Bush said U.S.-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq had already made America safer, and that his re-election would let him finish the job.

"For a while we were marching to war. Now we're marching to peace. ... America is a safer place. Four more years and America will be safe and the world will be more peaceful," Bush said.

Bush was joined by his twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara, and campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said the twins would pair up for campaign appearances away from their father starting Tuesday night in Missouri, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Stanzel said the events will be closed to the press.

Bush and Kerry are fighting hard in Iowa, which Bush lost to Democrat Al Gore in 2000 by just 4,144 votes, or roughly two votes per precinct. Recent polls give Kerry a narrow lead, but a Kerry aide said the Iowa race and the one in Missouri remain a dead heat.

Later on Tuesday, Bush was to attend a re-election rally in Missouri, a state he won by 3 percentage points in 2000. Underscoring its importance to Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney campaigned there on Monday.

Bush and Cheney have sought to cast Kerry and Edwards as on the side of trial lawyers, who the president believes are responsible for a flood of personal injury litigation that burdens the courts and is costly to small business. Democrats get campaign contributions from trial lawyers, while many businesses tend to favor the Republicans.

"I'm not a lawyer, you'll be happy to hear," Bush said to cheers. "That's the other team. This is the pro-small business team."

He also lashed out at them for not backing an $87 billion funding for the U.S. military presence in Iraq and the country's reconstruction. The two Democrats have said they opposed the funding in opposition to Bush's Iraq policy.

Bush campaign officials say they were increasingly upbeat about their chances in Missouri after Kerry reduced his ad spending there ahead of the Democratic presidential convention.

But the Kerry campaign said they were not ceding any ground, only conserving resources for later and pouring ad money into other hotly contested states.

"Missouri is a very competitive state and we're going to fight for every vote," said Kerry campaign spokesman Phil Singer.

The two-state swing was part of a weeklong offensive by Bush before the Democratic National Convention in Boston starting July 26. (Additional reporting by Caren Bohan)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Bush: 'I Want to Be the Peace President' [Re: ekomstop]
    #2909420 - 07/20/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

peace president bush? riiiiight.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2909741 - 07/20/04 06:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't care what he says, as long as he does not get re-elected.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #2971622 - 08/06/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

HAHAHAHA. Look at this:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040805/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bushism
Quote:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we," Bush said. "They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Its only been 16 days after he said he wanted to be a peace president. This bastard can't stop lying.

Jump to top Pages: 1