Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Stun Guns
    #2905199 - 07/19/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

A female friend of mine walks to work through the nastiest part of the city. She's done me many a favor, and I wouldn't mind dropping $50-$100+ on a stun gun. She carries pepper spray which is good if someone is 5" away. She can't carry a gun yet.

There's a model that looks like a wallet and carries 200,000 volts. Another is a cell phone that has 180,000 volts.

Then again.. there's one that's 625,000 volts. I would want her to be able to render opponents useless.

Is 200k enough or should I get her the 625k? The price difference is only $40 (and I wouldn't have to pay shipping).

The 625k would knock someone out in a second or two, correct?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Stun Guns [Re: Adden]
    #2905246 - 07/19/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Somebody used a 50,000 volt stun gun on me once as a 'joke'... I was still able to punch them in the face, as a 'joke'... and walk away. To me, a stun gun is a weapon... and if you are in the position where you are going to use a weapon against somebody else, you should have the absolute best one that you can get... for $40, I would get the upgrade.

> The 625k would knock someone out in a second or two, correct?

The 50k didn't do shit to me... but I used to play with high voltage a lot as a kid and have shocked myself fairly well more times that I would like to admit... I guess I am kind of used to it. (I have also pepper sprayed myself and maced myself as well... good to know what the effects feel like to prevent panic should you ever get hit with one of these and need to be able to think...) I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of 625k... I would suspect that would drop me like a rock and leave me out for a good six to eight hours.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
    #2905637 - 07/19/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the person at on the receiving end of 625k would be out and most likely piss and shit themself.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #2905679 - 07/19/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stun Guns [Re: blink]
    #2905773 - 07/19/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

> Stun guns can kill too.

Which is why I called it a weapon...

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #2906436 - 07/19/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I find stun guns utterly worthless. You better hope your lady friend doesn't get mugged by someone with a gun or knife or hands. Getting stunned tends to only piss some people off.

The only possibly effective stunners are the batons and riot shields which are only good because well they are batons and a huge ass shield.

If you want real protection you could get something with a few amps :x

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Stun Guns [Re: d33p]
    #2906527 - 07/19/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, the voltage dosn't really make a difference....what really matters is how many amps it is. The "gun" type ones are the best, expensive though.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stun Guns [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #2907634 - 07/20/04 06:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

> Yeah, the voltage dosn't really make a difference....what really matters is how many amps it is.

Almost correct... what really matters is the bodies resistance...

It doesn't take a lot of current (amperage) to kill... 20 milliamps can be sufficient under proper circumstances (again, depends upon the bodies resistance).

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2908599 - 07/20/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok a little about stun guns. NOTE: We will call this from RANDOM tests :wink:

#1) They are only good if the battery is strong. Pushing the button to see the spark jump depletes them to the point of uselessness quickly!

#2) Hits to the arms, legs, head (on the shoulders) will not disable. It will only piss them off! However hits to the main torsou or other head WILL Disable!

#3) Like pepper spray it is just used to give the victim the time to run away. Unless you are in Texas, where it is used to give the Citizen the time to pull there gun and save us the Court costs! :shocked:

If in a big city with a mugging problem it is best to carry a fake wallet or a moneyclip with a 10$ bill on the outside and paper on the inside. When mugged just through it and run. The perp is more interested in the money.

I have a 100,000v one and it works good on both people and dogs (only is self defense!)

Edited by Cyber (07/20/04 01:20 PM)

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2909828 - 07/20/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Pepper spray is worthless.A) You have to ig it out of wherever you store it which most of the time you wont have time to do and B) Alot of people arent stopped by it.Sometimes it even has no effect.Also you must aim it right.

Stun guns can also be quite worthless in self defense.A) Again you have to dig it out of wherever it is stored and B) You actually have to hit them with it.Now how can you stun someone that you cant even touch like an adept martial artist?A martial artist could easily kick the crap out of someone long before they would get stunned.It can also easily be knocked away and you're especially out of luck if the person is trained or adept at disarming weapons.There is always the good possibility the person will be too scared to use it.

The only good self defense tactic is to learn how to fight.Knives,stun guns,anything handheld can easily be knocked out of a persons hand or disarmed.Especially in something so close range like a mugging situation.Anything handheld must be taken out of where they are stored and 9 time out of 10 there isnt time to go for it.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Stun Guns [Re: Seuss]
    #2920376 - 07/23/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I recall seeing something somewhere (scientific american?)
about the military trying to find a way to make a crowd-control weapon out of a taser.....
They were looking at using a low-power laser to ionize the air around the crowd so as to enable more efficient transportation of the stun charge...
Can't find it, otherwise i'd post a link.
Heard about this?

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Stun Guns [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2921431 - 07/23/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

if you get good pepper spray it will stop anyone. my friend got this stuff that's "illegal" to sell to the public from a self-defence store that later got shut down for selling illegal stuff (brass knuckles, kelly come-alongs, butterfly knifes ect.) anyway he brought it back to our house and said he'd pay me $20 to spray me and i needed money bad so i did it... worst mistake ever. i spent the next 3 hours under the sink trying to rinse the stuff out of my eyes and it was probably the worst pain i have ever experienced. defentaly wouldn't have been able to harm anyone, hell i was basically blind til the next morning. we did this in the garage and the spray must have drifted into the house a little and there was a few people over, they all ended up under the sink or hose as well, that was some strong shit. they even use it to stop bears in big ass cans, i'm pretty sure it would stop any human. though getting it out can be a problem like you said.

about learning to fight yeah i agree somewhat. not to be sexist but most men can easily overpower women. i had this friend she was 6' probably like 135-140lbs, athletic, played a lot of sports was in good shape, worked out, and had older brothers that used to beat her up when she was younger. anyway we used to wrestle around playfully and i could easily overpower her and i'm 6' 150lbs though i'm muscular i'm by far a big guy just defined. i'm pretty sure any guy that's in shape and has any experience with fighting (most guys do, men get into a hell of a lot more fights amongst themselves then women) could take out 90% of america's women. even with that women's self-defence shit where they teach the chicks to scream and go for the balls, my ex must have tried to kick me in the balls 5x's and never succeded. after that she was quickly subdued.

disclaimer: no i never hit her, though she's hit me numerous times and drew blood a few times i just restrain her from attacking me :stoned:

Offlinehairs
old hand
Re: Stun Guns [Re: John]
    #2922414 - 07/23/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

woman beater

--------------------
If I didn't have such a great drive (golf) the American people would thing I wasn't working so hard. George W. Bush

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #2927787 - 07/26/04 01:41 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

a womens instincts to kick a man in the balls is no match for a mans instinct to protect them.

as for stun guns i hate em. 100k volt knocked me on my ass, but got up really quick. if i were mugging someone or some shit i could have been up and pissed enough to do who knows what. same with peper spray. that is if teh person can get it out in time. but thats with every "weapon" except yourself. IMO your best defense is you. Your hands are there, no need to undo some fuckin button or velcro shit while 200 pound bubba is trying to kill you. if it were me i would help her learn pressure points and shit. Lets be honest. i can take a shot to the balls, it hurts but if adrenaline is going it really is nothing. i wont mention any specific ones but hte one close to your ear can know a person on their ass faster than anything. i have had it demonstrated on me, almost no effort and im down flat. to me they are the best defense, especially when humans got so many, and nuts dont really count....

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Re: Stun Guns [Re: kadakuda]
    #2929381 - 07/26/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know about you but i put my money on 200 pound Bubba beating the shit out of 100 pound suzie while she trys to hit a pressure point.

--------------------

bang bang

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#2931212 - 07/27/04 01:51 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i dont. at my old karate place on sensei came over, he must have been in his 70's, to do a demonstration. he was TINY. anyway my sensei (master belt) and 4 level 5 black belts were to attack him. majority of these guys are a fair size and DEFINATLY skilled. anyway after much show and bullshit he said "attack me". took about 10 seconds and all were down but mr midget. using blocks and pressure points only (was a pressure point demo).

if you know where to hit you can take down anyone REALLY fast. after all how many common theifs or rapists know jack shit about fighting? just throw and it shall hurt, seems to be the popular from what i have seen anyway.

anyway to shorten my rambling. if you know wher eto hit your probably a lot better of fthan just having a gun or spray. most dont require hands, just a hard bump.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2934482 - 07/27/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You didn't get my point at all. She probably is an average small 110 ibs woman. She is not a sensei master who has been training her whole life. She will not pick up the skill at an adequate enough level for it to be used effectivly in the field.

And guns fire these things we call bullets. Most criminals tend to have them in America. Give me a saturday night special and I'll gladly take on your 70 year old sensei from about 10 feet away.

The world is realistic, many martial arts are not.

--------------------

bang bang

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#2934962 - 07/27/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ya i agree with you but i was assuming it was close range, as it would be with stun guns. in which case i personally belive teh knowledge to injusr without a weapon would be far better.

just my opinion.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2934998 - 07/27/04 11:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
ya i agree with you but i was assuming it was close range, as it would be with stun guns. in which case i personally belive teh knowledge to injusr without a weapon would be far better.

just my opinion.

Maybe you can, but we are talking about a small woman who would most likely be facing a much larger attacker. It is not plausible in this scenario.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2939673 - 07/29/04 08:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
Quote:

kadakuda said:

just my opinion.

Maybe you can, but we are talking about a small woman who would most likely be facing a much larger attacker. It is not plausible in this scenario.

Most of the bad people that would go after the small woman are opportunistic... they go after the easy targets. If you do something which makes you appear to be a difficult target, then you have already lessened the likelyhood of an attack. In most of these situations, appearance is more important than skill.

... and for the ladies: If you ever find yourself in a bad situation, soil yourself... a pretty large (and unexpected) turnoff for most rappists, regardless of their motivation.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom