Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineezwdr420
Stranger

Something for all newbies to read
    #2897725 - 07/16/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have just completed my first grow, and I can honestly say I couldn't have done it w/out the shroomery. thank you all soo much.

Well with that said I am going to give advice to all newbies.

1) Read as much of the archives, teks and old posts as possible.(most of the questions asked have been asked hundreds of time)When you think youve read all there is read it again.

2) PATIENCE IS THE KEY.( Have patience, and you will be rewarded)

3) no growth is not a major catastrophe ( funky looking contaminants are) my advice to you if you suspect contams is to trash it. its not worth contaminating your whole crop to save on jar/casing.

4) A pressure cooker is not optional it is mandatory IMO. if you cant afford 50 Bucks got to yard sales or junk stores and purchase one second hand.

5) as much as you hear the experts talk about perlite it is no substitute for vermiculite and vice versa. theyre both cheap and can be found at hardware stores, nurseries, or home depot.

6) the tub in tub incubator is the cats ass there is no alternative, heating pads are for the elderly.

7) the poor mans pod is also the way to go.

8) you must start with the PF tek. if you get the jars successfully colonized you could attempt a casing. starting with bulk is getting in over your head. and soon after you start your project youll be on the forum whining about what went wrong.

9) the difference between cube strains is miniscule just pick one and shut up.

10) if its your first grow dont worry about yield, that will come in time. if you do twelve jars you should have enough to get you and a fairly large group of friends to whatch cartoons and stair at inanimant objects.

11) any of the shroomerys vendors are reliable all have great deals.

Hope I didnt bore you all. just thought Id donate A little time to repay some of my debt to the experts.

Pressure cooker 50
jars 10
verm 5
perlite 5
4 rubbermaid tubs 25
spores 4 syringes 23
aquarium heater 20

rougly $150

dry yield alittle over 3 ozs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: ezwdr420]
    #2897764 - 07/16/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with most everything that you said except the bulk tek thing. Growing bulk is Sooooo Easy! :smile:But you may be right, most people would prob fail at it in their first go. But from what Ive seen most people fail at the PF tek their first time simply cause they are too lazy to read. imo

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Invisibleapoc
    #2897765 - 07/16/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

sounds about right

Offlinegottafeelit
Stranger
    #2898080 - 07/16/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Pressure cooker 50
jars 10
verm 5
perlite 5
4 rubbermaid tubs 25
spores 4 syringes 23
aquarium heater 20

rougly $150

Growing your own shrooms- PRICELESS*

OfflineTheNewZero
Think foryourself andquestionauthority

Loc: Limbo
    #2898256 - 07/16/04 08:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds great!! And for you newbies like myself that can't or don't want to spend 50 bucks on a pressure cooker, Go to K-Mart. I found one for $19.99 and it works @ 15psi. Cheaper than ebay!

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: TheNewZero]
    #2898341 - 07/16/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah 20 bucks is all you need to get started. Wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!! Just remember to ask questions. Anything that you are stumpted about, ask someone.  :grin:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2898385 - 07/16/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Great work

:cheers: :goodluck:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2898947 - 07/17/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"5) as much as you hear the experts talk about perlite it is no substitute for vermiculite and vice versa. theyre both cheap and can be found at hardware stores, nurseries, or home depot."

Hydrotron is better.

"7) the poor mans pod is also the way to go."

Not true.

"9) the difference between cube strains is miniscule just pick one and shut up."

Maybe at first , but you WILL notice a difference (although slight) over time.

"6) the tub in tub incubator is the cats ass there is no alternative, heating pads are for the elderly."

Well now I am just insulted(j/k) , I use a heat pad.......with great success I might add :laugh:

(I am not trying to rain on your parade, or say "thats wrong"!, I agree with MOST, of the things you said, but I differ on some issues)

Psilo
Psilo

--------------------

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2899435 - 07/17/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Same I agree with most said, but I most disagree with saying that you must start with PF cakes. PF cakes are messy, slower to colonize, dry out too fast, and are subject to contamination more easily. I could list even more drawbacks, but instead I just suggest you toss the shitty PF cakes and start using rye berries.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2899500 - 07/17/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

HerbanSharman, I agree.

I never had much joy with cakes and they were a waste of time. They're really hard to keep the humidity up to unless you $hell out on a whacky-do terrarium. Far easier to case IMO.

Here's a total newbie I sent a spore print to. He made his own syringe, inoculated millet and his very first case. It can be done.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineiggy
mycophile

Loc: Alberta, Canada
    #2900696 - 07/17/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

pf tek is a big waste of time and money imho.  my first grow that I put money into started off with bulk popcorn and casing with just verm.  results are excellent,  cant go wrong with the moisture content of substrate,  and its only one thing to put in jars not two.  plus g2g is so bloody easy,  You can turn 2 jars into 20  in like 5 days and contam rates are very low if polyfill is used.

I think advertising pf tek to newbs is stupid,  it's harder,  costs more, and gives you less yeild.  i dont understand.  but wasn't pf tek invented a helluva long time ago and kind of outdated info from people that were newbies themselves???  i dont know but I don't see any need for anyone to ever mess around with the pf tek when corn works better.

my 2 cents :rolleyes:

--------------------
Zip-"Mok, are we evil?"

Mok-"Do you know what evil spelled backwards is? Live. And we all want to do that dont we?"

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
    #2900877 - 07/17/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I also found the PF tek a waste of time. My first few times growing I did the PF tek and found that I couldn't keep the humidity constant enough and the cakes would dry right out. They'd also take forever to colonize (one set took near a month!).

I switched to popcorn in quart jars. I then would spawn to pasteurized straw packed into a rubbermaid container. I never got anything less than 7 ounces out of a rubbermaid, and got upwards of 9 from one. I know that's not FANTASTIC, considering 3 flushes, but it beat the shit out of the couple ounces (and less) I got from the PF cakes.

Also, I found that the "neglect tek" was so incredibly easy, there was no need to screw around with PF cakes anymore. On top of all that, colonization of the quart jars was incredibly fast, as I used 3-4 CCs of spore solution per jar, and shook them at about day 5. Usually I had complete colonization in about 7-9 days.

Anyway... the main thing I found is just to read, read, read. It's not expensive to do, and it's certainly not hard.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: iggy]
    #2901527 - 07/18/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iggy said:
I think advertising pf tek to newbs is stupid, it's harder, costs more, and gives you less yeild. i dont understand. but wasn't pf tek invented a helluva long time ago and kind of outdated info from people that were newbies themselves???

The PF tek published 1992 was nothing more than a successful marketing tek to sell syringes. It has since become the flag ship touted as the way.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2901877 - 07/18/04 08:04 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I birthed my first PF Tek Jar 7 days ago and made my first casing today. Both seem easy..

All you have to do is follow the instructions.

NOTE A PC is a necessity! I see them at the thrift store and flea market all the time for $5 to $7 each (4 to 6 quart) so price should hold no one back!

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: Cyber]
    #2901912 - 07/18/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

for a first timer i would suggest using pints to each one add 2/3 cup pennington wild finch food or hartz parakeet food in clear and green bag, a pinch of gypsum, and 1/2 a cup of hot distilled water with a teaspoon of organic honey mixed into it, put lids on upside down pressure cook at 15 psi for one hour, shake, let cool, inoculate, incubate shake when appropriate ,when colonized either case right in jar with one inch 50/50 peat/vermiculite as described in silly simon tek or use for spawn on pasterized horse shit for a more bulk approach also i would also suggest saving a jar for g2g transfers

Edited by uneasyone (07/18/04 12:12 PM)

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2902261 - 07/18/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Just having the pressure cooker and incubator can reduce your number of contaminated jars to 0 and they are both necessary pieces of equipment imo.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: Blue_Apocalypse]
    #2902273 - 07/18/04 11:55 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Finally, people are seeing the light. Toss the PF cakes and use rye berries. Easiest thing in the world to use. Although, I'm intrigued by the straw discussion. I'm curious, where do you buy the appropriate straw?

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2902278 - 07/18/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Lowes, Home Depot, Co-Op...etc.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Offlineshallow
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: QandA]
    #2902406 - 07/18/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone care to point me towards the popcorn or rye tut? Im tired of waiting foe these freakin PF jars to colonize.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: Something for all newbies to read [Re: shallow]
    #2902425 - 07/18/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you need to read the grain for simple minds tek shallow
http://www.sporeworks.com/labnotes/ryetek.html

Edited by uneasyone (07/18/04 12:46 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates