Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRetna
Brain Analyst
My pinheads won't fruit!
    #2859749 - 07/05/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I dunked and rolled my second batch of cakes about three weeks ago. Everything looked great, and about a week later I got small pinheads. I got tons of pinheads, way more than before. But now, it's been two weeks since then and the pinheads aren't fruiting. It's like my cakes are still in colonization phase.

When I think about it, I think it might be the temperature change from winter to summer. Temperature is definitly different, and my room gets super hot in the summer. It's probably 80 or 85 degrees in my room during the day, so probably even more in my terrarium.

Is the heat my problem? Am I pretty much screwed, unless i get Aircon for my room?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Re: My pinheads won't fruit! [Re: Retna]
    #2860107 - 07/05/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i THINK, and i dont know if i would even take my own advice, that if you take like a cup of ice or something and put it into your terrarium, it will lower the temp a bit. but you'd probably be better off getting advice from someone else =D

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2860189 - 07/05/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

what's your air exchange like?
also that might be too hot

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2860778 - 07/06/04 05:37 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Temperature is definitely a problem. You are attempting to fruit a mushroom nearly 10 degrees over it's desired fruiting temperature range. However non-developing mushroom pins are often a sign of high levels of C02 buildup as well. So with this in mind there are two things you should try in order to get your mushies to develop normally: 1. Drop your temps degrees to a stable 75F and 2. Exchange your air more frequently.

There are cases where "substrains" of a particular species/strain develop in jars (from multi-spore inoculations) that show signs of over pinning without normal fruit maturation. There isn't much you can do in these cases, except start over (or harvest all the pinheads and clear off the fruiting surface so it can try again on it's "second" flush).

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #2860815 - 07/06/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You need to get the temp down. I would get some empty plastic drinks bottles, fill leaving a little room for expansion with water. (I use 2 liter bottles)

Freeze, and put inside your terrarium, when the ice melts just swap it out with another from the freezer.

Edited by psilomonkey (07/06/04 06:20 AM)

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2860912 - 07/06/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My personal take on it, the hobby is seasonal. It was the hottest summer (where I am) in 50 years. It bombed 'em out.

A 1st flush of some cased millet cakes. The heat (in part made for skinny fruits) and a poor 2nd flush.

Another heat sufferin' cased millet cake tray.

On the cased grains dept, similar drama. I got through with the 1st flush and then the temps jacked up.

2nd flush.

3rd flush.

4th flush. Note the temp, like an incubator. Fruits lack meat/weight and fall over on thinner than usual stipes.

Not much joy with the two growool cases in the heat. Again, 1st flush was ok but the heat came in and bombed 'em.

1st flush.

2nd flush.

3rd flush. The high temps scewed them.

I truly think mushrooms are for the cooler months of the year. I'm not going to battle next summer lol. Though some folks insist on a frozen bottle of ice in the terrarium. Reminds me of an Hawaiian I spoke to who grew tulips by tossing ice onto the beds....pfft. Nah, grow what works and at the right time IMO like any gardening. :wink:

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineRetna
Brain Analyst
    #2862752 - 07/06/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I air out my terrarium about twice a day, so heat would be my problem. Cool, I'll give the iced bottles a try and see if things don't improve. Worst case, I'll have to wait two or three months to start experimenting again, but I think I can get the bottles to work.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #2863988 - 07/07/04 05:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If i were you id give even more air exchange if you have the time to do so. Remember you cant give them TOO much air exchange. Or at least thats how i look at it.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Edited by hawksapprentice (07/07/04 05:47 AM)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2864003 - 07/07/04 06:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Two times a day is "adequate" but it's hard to give mushrooms "too much" fresh air. Try upping this to 3-4 times a day and I'm sure you'll see a change.

Better yet, if your chamber is plastic, drill some 1/2 holes in the sides near the bottom of the chamber (about level with your substrate cakes or casing trays, or right about any perlite layter). Then stuff these holes with poly-fil, pulled from a cheap new pillow. This is a great way to have constant passive and "filtered" air exchange in your chamber without fanning (though you still need to fan). It can only help...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds