Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions
    #2820284 - 06/23/04 09:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok at the moment I have 2 fully colonised 1/2 pint cakes, 2 cakes which should be done in a few days, and 2 cakes which should be done in about a week. At the moment I am just leaving the fully colonised cakes for a few days to give them time to colonise the inside too (left them 3 days so far)

Now I am looking to maximise my yield (aren't we all?) and i've been thinking of doing a dunk+roll and double end casing.

I have a few questions;
At the moment most of my jars are packed with very little room at the top, I read that the dry verm layer should be scraped out before the jar is dunked, how should I go about this? Just wash my hands and scoop it all out or something else?

How much more risk of contams is there with these methods? I've already lost one jar to a ton of green mold and another fully colonised (grrrr) jar to a tiny blotch of black, I don't want to lose anymore. I will be sterilising the verm  before I roll but I'm worried I may introduce contams when I scrape the top layer off before dunking.

I read in one post (sorry no link) that higher yields were gained with a dunk+roll and scraping, I can't seem to find any information about scraping anywhere. I assume this person was talking about deep scratching a casing, but I don't see how this would help with a dunked+rolled pf cake.

How long should I leave a jar after the outside has been fully colonised to ensure all of the cake is colonised (only 4 holes used at innoculation, no centre hole)

Thanks for any replies, I want to make sure I don't lose anymore cakes  to contams  :grin:

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineguyoncouch
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions [Re: Slite]
    #7747462 - 12/11/07 10:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I have not started growing yet but happen to have read two books and a plethera or a copeous amount of articles via i net and it seems that the time for dunkin is between 12-24 hours, no more than 48, no less than six. As for if it induces contams most say no, some say yes, some sites say dont even do it for p.cubensis but i say based on the biology of the mushrooms life cycles which requires an environmental change to fruit ( 12 hours of on off light and 90-95% humidity) tells us that dunking the cakes is most likely a very good practice. Obviously taking the cakes out for you box or case will expose it but these precautions should be well practiced before you grow. Go on google and type PF TEK dunk + roll video. Second, if you are literate and can read i gained more knowledge from two books than any website, the first is Psilocyben, indoor outdoor guide, and the second i forget because it is not right in front of me but it is blue and covers ever question mark i promise. Anything worth doing right is worth doing well so reaserch, document, and compare notes till you find what works for you. Also you will always have casualties (contams) and the best thing to do obviously is isolate them and hope for the best but is common. The air in our houses as well as the surfaces we grow on are always covered in contams they have a way better chance of thriving (as they have for billions of years ) than the mushrooms do so hopefully that motivates you to be cleaner. i think the book said it was a 99.9% chance if the bacteria found the cake and the mushrooms only have a .01% so you do what you can. Good luck - guy

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions [Re: guyoncouch]
    #7748187 - 12/12/07 07:07 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

When you birth your jars, you will want to remove the dry verm layer, simply pour the loose verm out of the jar,, then take the cake out and rinse it under the tap wiping the dry verm to remove as much as you can, then dunk in a pot of water for 24 hours in a cool place. Make sure the cakes are submerged under the water so there is some pressure to help rehydrate the cake.

This procedure will not introduce contams, being sterile is not nessary as fully colinised cakes are resistant to contams. Just be clean (washed hands etc) If you have lost incubating jars to contams them they got in during inoculating or the substrate was not sterilised properly, or you opened up your pressure cooker before it had depresurised naturaly.

You can sterilise the dry verm for rolling if you want, but i have had no problems just using it straight out the bag.

There isnt really much risk of contamination once they are fully colinised. Just be clean about your procedures. Your fruiting chamber doesnt need to be sterilised either. Simply washing it out with soapy water is fine. Fresh perlite is recomended but you can re-use it. I have just re-used mine by soaking in some bleach and giving it a good rinse. Others recomended baking it in the oven.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions [Re: guyoncouch] * 1
    #7748278 - 12/12/07 07:57 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Just wash the cakes under the tap to get rid of the verm. Then dunk for 24h and roll in your dry sterilized verm.

Once in the FC mist the hell out of the cakes so you wet the verm nicely. I wouldn't bother with the double ended casing, but if you think your cakes will dry out, spoon some verm onto the top of the cake and keep that layer misted. Also pack your cakes closeish to each other so that they create a microclimate among themselves that favours pinning

Like this

Photo courtesy of fahtster

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisiblethedude21351
Duderino
Re: Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions [Re: Nibin]
    #7792740 - 12/23/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

A few questions about the pic, if you don't mind. A buddy of mine in Holland has a setup just like this (12 PE cakes), except with no ventilation other than fanning. Their first harvest of PE was as plentiful as in this pic, only there were just a few really big ones. The ones in this pic are consistently huge!! Anyway, they have been looking for a better way to improve.

*Are those 1/2 or 1 pint cakes?
*Are they directly on the perlite or are they on the lids?
*Are those little ventilation holes I see cut out in squares? If so, what's your setup (how many holes, placement, material used for filters)?
*What size bin is that? It look like a 60 qt/57 L bin.

Thanks.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk+Roll+Double end casing questions [Re: thedude21351]
    #7792858 - 12/23/07 03:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Photo courtesy of fahtster

Better ask him

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract