Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWebLiZaRD
NatureLover
Loc: Smyrna
first casing with terrarium problems...
    #2817340 - 06/22/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hi;
I think i got some questions about my first casing try. Mycelium seems ok but grow about %75 (maybe more) of my casing top layer. I try to make them fruiting but here is summer and there is really extreme weather outside and in the house. It is about 86F outside. I try to decrease the temp. in the terrarium. I put a glass container and i put big ice cubes and change with new one when old one melts. This help me a lot, i can handle the temp. about 72-74F. But now the humidity is problem. I don't use any machine to give humidity. Only mist with hand several times in day. I use spring water and mist terrarium from above and let water drops drop to perlite on the bottom and onto the casing.

1) Will it be harmful for myceliums to mist above and let water drop on them?
2) RH is about %75 (my hygrometer says it :smile: ) How can i increase humidity? I can't use a machine because hard to find and expensive here.
3) Should i put h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) in to the water that i mist? If yes how much?

Thanks anyone who read and/or reply :rasta:

Here is my terrarium. There is casing on left-top, right top is a glass of water i think it helps to keep humidity, near it a bottle of ice and big ice cube - they help to keep temp. down- my hygrometer and temperature. I have moist perlite on bottom.

Here is my casing with mycelium. It seems blurry but will help you to see the amount of myceliums. Are they too much or ok? I read that they  wouldn't grow so much on top of soil. I use vermiculate - peat moss mixture. and on bottom just have vermiculate.

--------------------
"Come, come again, whoever you are, come!
Heathen, fire worshipper or idolatrous, come!
Come even if you broke your penitence a hundred times,
Ours is the portal of hope, come as you are."

Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi - Alternative spellings: Mawlana, or Mowlana, and Jalal Al-Din, or Jalaluddin
The great Anatolian philosopher, poet and the father of the Mevlevi sect.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: first casing with terrarium problems... [Re: WebLiZaRD]
    #2817474 - 06/22/04 02:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, ice works well. I have heard of people using camping ice packs. I use plastic drinks bottles 3/4 filled with water, I swap them between the terrarium and the freezer.

1) Its best not to drip on the mycelium, it can cause overlay in casing as well a being a conduit for contams, also bruising in fruits.

2) Mist the sides of the terrarium a few times a day.

3) I use a .3% misting when I first case, but then I just use boiled tap water to mist.

Also a thicker casing may be a good idea, thicker casings create a larger micro-climate, and are therefore less sensitive to external conditions (slightly)

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
    #2818451 - 06/22/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

when i did my first casing i used a terarium like yours, perlite in the bottom. I had to heat mine, so i just put 1 bin in another, with water and a fish tank heater in the bottom one. I just misted the casing directly with water straight from the tap, and everything werked fine, idk, maybe i just got lucky, i didnt do much to protect against contaminants, and it was fine. I guess the safer you are, the less chance there is of contam. I am a newb to growing, so idk maybe dont listen to me = )

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

OfflineWebLiZaRD
NatureLover
    #2820009 - 06/23/04 03:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The temp is ok during night but when i sleep and wake up, the ice cubes already melted and temp become 80-82F. I again start to put ice into terrarium and lower the temp. But i think it is not good for mycelium to decrease and increase temp. too much...

I don't really know what to do. Temp is ok for a long time in day but the humidity is an other problem. It is just about 75-80% sometimes it gets 90%

--------------------

Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi - Alternative spellings: Mawlana, or Mowlana, and Jalal Al-Din, or Jalaluddin

Invisiblepsilomonkey

#2820050 - 06/23/04 04:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The temp does get a little high, but I don't think its getting high enough to cause problems 74-78 is considered optimum.

You could do with getting the RH a little higher, is there a layer of water under the perlite?

OfflineWebLiZaRD
NatureLover
Re: first casing with terrarium problems... [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2820057 - 06/23/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Perlite is just moist. Not too much. Does it need to have a layer of water under?

I saw that some perlite particles turned yellow from white. Is there a problem? Should i change the perlite layer?

I have an idea that to put perlite in a plastic container and put in terrarium with it instead of putting perlite on bottom of whole terrarium. How does it work?

Invisiblepsilomonkey

#2820064 - 06/23/04 05:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

A thin layer of water under the perlite will help bring up the RH.

Its a good idea to put some h2o2 in with the perlite, it can be quite strong, this helps stop stuff growing on the perlite. If you have some more it can't hurt to change it.

Not sure, have to tried that, In would expect less humidity due to less surface area.

I must say I do hate perlite, its so messy and makes a REALLY creepy sound. Clay beads in a PMP are better, hydroleca/hydroton what ever you local name for it is.

OfflineWebLiZaRD
NatureLover
No more problems :=) [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2820224 - 06/23/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I made some  corrections in my terrarium and now it looks fine :=) temp. is about 70F and RH is 90%
I mixed the perlite and add some more water+h2o2 mix. 10 part of water + 1 part of h2o2.

And i saw the first 2 pinheads :=) these are my first pins appeared on my first casing :=) they are too small so i will wait a little and then take photo of them :smile:

Thanks to everybody that helped both with replying or just thought about my project :=)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds