Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

Re: Would this work??
    #279080 - 03/26/01 03:46 AM (23 years, 9 days ago)

I can say that I have expierence in working sterile, by growing micro-organisms for industrial uses. Like mold for producing citric acid. Beside that I have made myself a glovebox with sterile airintake. So I can think this would be possible......
But is the tek ok? Or can someone do some adjustment, or do you think I coould learn by trial and error??

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKast
old hand
Re: Would this work?? [Re: nononsense]
    #279125 - 03/26/01 03:54 AM (23 years, 9 days ago)

The reason we're here is so you dont HAVE to learn by trial and error. If you have a sterile environment to work in, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. But, your technique is a bit more advanced than is necessary. If that's the way you wanna go, more power to you. I recommend steeping the rye, as opposed to adding the two ingredients (water & rye) into the jars. It allows for more even water absorption.

After sterilizing the rye, you can use a liquid inoculation if you like, but the more steps and variables you involve, the more likely you're going to fail. You could just as easily place those agar chunks in the jars.

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

Re: Would this work?? [Re: Kast]
    #279160 - 03/26/01 05:52 AM (23 years, 8 days ago)

Alright Kast, that's a very helpfull tip, so leaving the liquid inoculation out and replace it with pieces of agar with mycelium.
Can you tell me how long I should steep the rye, and what temperature the water should be???
I have read that when doing the sterilizing step and steeping step can be done at once, so I thought it might save time.
Can you give any info on the steeping than Kast??
pleeeeeeees
thanks for the info!!

--------------------

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
    #279166 - 03/26/01 06:11 AM (23 years, 8 days ago)

What I would do is just cover the rye with an inch or so of water and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.. You can add rye and water to the jars then sterilize but if you get the water to rye ratio wrong you're screwed.. Simmering makes it a little easier to get the rye to the right consistency..

OfflineKast
old hand
    #279283 - 03/26/01 11:18 AM (23 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah, NeonBlack's got it right. The water shouldn't be boiling, but just below boiling works nicely. 45 mins is a general steeping time, but you'll notice once the kernels become "puffy". Doing the one-step method does save time, but it's also more risky. If you want to speed up colonization time as much as possible, you could use two (or more) chunks of agar per jar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags