Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago?
    #2790112 - 06/13/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I would contend that since the laws of physics have not changed, the ancient miraculous stories are due to superstition, ignorance, and exaggerated or misquoted story-telling.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (06/13/04 02:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Why did "real" miracle only happen long ago? [Re: Swami]
    #2790117 - 06/13/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why did "real" miracle only happen long ago? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2790127 - 06/13/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

WTF? Shroomism agrees with no talk of Elohim and such... IT"S A MIRACLE!

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Why did "real" miracle only happen long ago? [Re: Swami]
    #2790136 - 06/13/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Stranger things have been known to happen :wink:

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: Swami]
    #2790215 - 06/13/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Now are minds are filled with television, music, and tons of material things. We are no longer in battles with superstition. Science has made it's way to the top as we study the reasons we see these things in our brains. Swami I still see tons of that superstition all over the internet. Do you think we are at a greater step in life knowing that it is only superstition?

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2790221 - 06/13/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, but I do think we have the ability to do amazing things that humankind as a whole havent really dug into yet... such as telepathy, astral projection, healing etc.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2790233 - 06/13/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Why did "real" miracles happen long ago?

Because it was easier to fool the people

The true miracles occur in the mind- astral projection, healing yourself of a disease that is fatal the majority of the time, ceasing all negative thoughts, etc. Most other "miracles" are rubbish

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: Droz]
    #2790242 - 06/13/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Do you think we are at a greater step in life knowing that it is only superstition?

Only if we value truth; I certainly do.

Clouds have been made to rain by understanding the mechanism; not by dancing and shaking rattles.

Why did the last 7.0 earthquake in California kill only a dozen or so while similar quakes have killed upwards of 20,000 in Iran and elsewhere? Because of the understanding and application of structural engineering.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: Ravus]
    #2790248 - 06/13/04 03:59 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

healing yourself of a disease that is fatal the majority of the time

Many diseases are brought about by, not by pathogens, but by doing the wrong things so that by stopping them the dis-ease goes away. No great mystery there.

As I have mentioned before (this is summer repeat season), there are no documented cases of someone healing themselves of hereditary baldness, for example. If it was about Power of Mind, this should be much easier to "cure" than cancer.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2790257 - 06/13/04 04:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

true, but what about the ideas inbetween the mosquito-tellings?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2790293 - 06/13/04 04:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So curing yourself of cancer isn't miraculous? (I use the word disease loosely)

Sometimes it's only a matter of changing your lifestyle or getting medication, but such as cases where people go into a church and get healed by a priest, and their disease miraculously goes away, would be different in certain cases. Not to say it's by any supernatural force, my belief is the subconscious controls the body and therefore, if you can believe enough in being healed or such, the subconscious will take care of the disease much quicker and more efficiently.

I would also guess that, as we learn more about psychology and the subconscious, nowadays miracles will become less and less miracle-like, just as many other things that once seemed like miracles, such as rain and gravity, became more mundane as they were understood

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2790454 - 06/13/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I guess jesus can walk across cyberspace as well... right?

--------------------
What?

OfflineFood
---Beast---

Loc: Siberia
    #2792180 - 06/14/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well my Dad has this book from 1940 that on the back has a quote about this guy who prayed for this chick who had been hit by a truck carrying hot asphalt and broke one of her legs - it broke off totally and when reset was fractured in seven places and was three and a half inches shorter+ she had third degree burns all over her body - she was completely healed . I know its like over six decades ago - but its still not really 'ancient' per say .

--------------------
--------mushworld.com-----More info than you can throw a stick at-

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2792225 - 06/14/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Miracles happen every day. When I won a 15 year struggle with alcoholism I felt that I had experienced a miracle as it happened in one stroke not over time with professional counseling.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2792231 - 06/14/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Every couple months, some Mexican or Italian finds the face of the Virgin Mary on a Dorito or something.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2792643 - 06/14/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I saw Carlos Casteneda's face on a Dorito...does that count?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2792706 - 06/14/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

While I am glad for you and sure that it was a personal triumph of the highest order; refusing to imbibe any more poison does not violate natural law.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: Food]
    #2792709 - 06/14/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The book fails to tell you that the girl's mother had prayed for a safe journey...

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #2794013 - 06/15/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Just because the mechanism for healing or what might have once been considered a miracle can be explained, it doesn't make it less miraculous, it just seems that way.

Everytime you hit the keyboard in front of you it is a miracle, sure science has got reasonably good at explaining how the process of electrical impulses passes from the brain to the arm and hand muscles etc.

However there is no answer as to where the decision comes from - Where the spirit is that demands the release of charge. Or how it is able to exist.

And in fact biological life itself and the consciousnes inherrent in it is pretty damn miraculous.

Probably as time goes on we will gain more and more understanding and as we slowly come to grips with this hyper-technology we call life, we will make more and more miracles mundane.

If you could take say an Mp3 player 500 yrs back in history you would blow people's minds. They would either think it was one of God's miracles or one of the devil's......I think filling it with hymns might hopefully keep the time traveller safe! Anyway the point is that technology not understood is magick, but with knowledge everything can be understood. The event in question does not change, but the perception does.

However I would agree that a lot of the jesus style miracles of old are probably just good PR or excessive cases of chinse whispers and exageration.

The fact that we are here talking about it, living and breathing and thinking, having arisen from increasing complexity and the birth of biological life itself. That is proof enough of miracles for me. Actually the fact that anything exists at all is.

These probably don't count as "real" miracles though...which I take to mean Jesus types touching blind people fleetingly and restoring their sight etc. But they are pretty real miracles.

Edited by CJay (06/15/04 04:58 AM)

OfflineFood
---Beast---

Loc: Siberia
Re: Why did "real" miracles only happen long ago? [Re: CJay]
    #2794210 - 06/15/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

CJay Said "However there is no answer as to where the decision comes from - Where the spirit is that demands the release of charge. Or how it is able to exist.

And in fact biological life itself and the consciousnes inherrent in it is pretty damn miraculous."

- Nice .

And swami - haha - is that really all you have to say .
Actually I could name hundeds more miraculous happenings .Here is a mild one :
My Mum had damaged her coxyx - dont know how to spell that - its the tail bone at the end of the spine . She was pretty annoyed for a while, what with sitting down bing a bitch an all then she went to some christian meeting this man prayed for healing and she got this warm feeling and was healed - it made her pretty happy . That was probably about a decade ago .

Actually that book with the aforemetioned girl healing thing is actually pretty cool , it talks about how faith isnt intellectual belief .
Also about the chinese whispers theory and stuff - yeah I can imagine that happening - exxageration and all, however -also in the book is this story about this woman who asks to be healed of "shrivelled legs" whatever exactly that is and well the guy says no - then ages later when she realises spiritual healing is what its really about she gets healed - the legs literally grow to normal size and she can walk again - and loads of people around her go like "wow" and rush to this wooden cross and ask for forgiveness .
Well the book also has a letter from the woman who was healed thanking God and the dude who prayed for her .So I mean if it were exxxagerated then the woman wouldnt have written about the same thing right. And plus the guy that wrote this book has this ring of honour to the way he writes - like he wouldnt distort shit you know - really kind of not "self righteous" .

So seriuosly swami go look up stuff about miracles today - try to debunk it - you seem to be of the reductionalist persuation as I once was, well anyway man dont let me annoy you - I'm only responding appropriatly to what you posted .

Peace out dudes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its called "The Real Faith" by Something or other Price .

--------------------
--------mushworld.com-----More info than you can throw a stick at-

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order