Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Pickled onions
    #2777042 - 06/09/04 04:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, anybody got a good recipe for pickled onions?
I've looked on google and found about 20 recipes which are completely different so it's kinda hard to know which one to go for.
Mum says this is the recipe she used to use:

PICKLED ONIONS

4 kg pickling onions
10 cups (2 and 1/2 litres) vinegar
OR 10 cups water and 1/2 cup (125 ml) glacial acetic acid*
1 1/2 cups honey
OR 2 - 2 1/2 cups sugar (white, raw, or brown)

To peel onions easily, pour boiling water over them and leave them to stand for 30-45 seconds. Drain, then cover with a large amount of cold water, then remove skin and roots.
Pack onions into sterilised jars or a very clean crock.
Bring the vinegar to boiling point, with the honey or whatever kind of sugar you use. Turn off heat as soon as mixture boils. If you want to spice the vinegar add 1 - 2 Tbs pickling spice and leave in vinegar as it cools.
Strain cold, sweetened vinegar mixture over the onions.
Cover to prevent contamination by dust or vermin using screw-topped plastic lids if possible. It is not necessary to exclude all air but remember that vinegar corrodes metal lids and vinegar evaporates through cellophane (don't think you need this bit do you ...?).

Store in a cool dark place and try to wait 2 weeks before using!

Notes

Sprinkle onions with 1/4 cup plain salt if desired. Alison says she does this only if the onions seem immature, fleshy, or wet - salting removes some of the liquid from the onions which one could consider if there has been trouble keeping pickled onions in the past. Turn them occasionally and leave to stand for 2-3 hours. Then wash and drain.

Using glacial acetic acid and water is cheaper but must be handled with care (and I don't think it would be very nice re flavour).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Re: Pickled onions [Re: zeta]
    #2777443 - 06/09/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

this made me think of this shit my dad always had in the fridge

he'd take cucumbers and slice them up real thin
then he'd slice up whit and red onions and put them in
then he'd put a ton of fresh ground pepper in
then he'd fill the bowl with regular white vinager
Surran wrap that shit and put it in the fridge - the longer it sits the yummier

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pickled onions [Re: sucklesworth]
    #2780773 - 06/10/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

My dad made that too. Never tasted like anything other than cucumbers, pepper, and vinegar. I think my dad did it that way because he never had a good pickling recipe. Although, even nowadays when I get cucumbers I always splash them with vinegar and smother them in pepper.

I've never had a pickled onion though. Sounds like something I should try. I like onions and pickle juice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates