Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
moving to amsterdam
    #2774275 - 06/08/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard it's too touristy and too expensive, but c'mon, it's fucking amsterdam and I'm itching to give it a try. I reckon I could stay in youth hostels at first for about $25 U.S.D a night and live out of my backpack. I'm an artist and musician and as long as I have my guitar, a pen and paper, and some weed or shrooms, I'm set. A lot of these hostels have free breakfasts, and I've lived on peanut butter and cereal before, so I'm not too worried about my basic needs, however I do have a bunch of questions and uncertainties, so if anyone has been to amsterdam, or better yet, lives in the Netherlands and could pass on some information, it would be much appreciated.

First I'd like to know if I could get a job while I'm out there. I'd like to try Amsterdam for at least six months, as I'm 23 years old and would like to settle outside the States for a while now that I don't have a binding career or girlfriend etc. I wait tables now and am pretty good and capable at doing that. I would be quite content to work in a restaurant (or better yet, a smoking cafe), as I have experience in cooking, dishwashing, bussing, and serving.

I'm also a college graduate from a well respected liberal arts college (with an English degree) and I also have letters of reference. Will it be possible for me to find some type of employment, even if it is for minimal pay? I'm real frugal and my only real expense is going to be weed and shelter. I'll walk wherever I need to go, or buy a cheap second-hand bike, and like I said, a three dollar jar of peanut butter and a box of cheerios and milk is all I need to last me a week.

So let's say I can't find work, how do the Dutch and the tourists and police treat street performers? Are there places friendly and obliging to street performers where I could play my guitar and sell some of my drawings? At least this way I could have some fun, meet some interesting people, and have some of my costs defrayed with a modest income (I plan on going with around $2,500 U.S.D. in my bank account and staying until my money runs out). Ideally, I'd like to play some music in a smoking cafe in exchange for good weed, but hey, if cleaning the bathrooms is what will put pot in my pipe, I have no problem wiping up sticky pissy floors.

I was also curious about teaching English in the Netherlands, although from what I understand, most Dutch speak English fluently. However, if these programs do exist, I would be a good candidate with my background, people skills, and experience.

And now onto the dreaded housing issue...paying $25 a night for a hostel bed amounts to $750 a month in rent. That is doable for a month, but I have seen a couple listings for $300-$500 U.S.D. per month, so soon after I arrive, I plan on looking for the cheapest apartment/room/bed I can find. I've read that Amsterdam has a few housing services which will provide you with housing leads and available room listings for a small fee. Are these scams, or are they worth it? Also, will I need to find a friendly, helpful Dutchman to help me out so I don't get ripped off, or should I be ok if I'm careful?

And here is another option I've considered...squatting, or sleeping on someone's floor. I have an excellent synthetic down, cold-temperature sleeping bag, so I don't really even need heat, as all I'll be doing in my room is basically sleeping (though I hope fucking is not out of the question). Have you heard of people "solving" the housing shortage and expense by renting a room meant for one, but having one person (me let's say) sleep on the floor, or in a basement or attic and contributing to the rent as well?

And how about squatters? There was limited info I could find on the net for Amsterdam squatting, but it does seem like there are still some groups of artists and musicians who get together and share an unoccupied or abandoned building and live a very bohemian lifestyle for practically no money at all. I've heard the police are cracking down on this, but that there are certain squatting groups who still exist and thrive.

That's the meat and potatoes of my questions and concerns, but in the interest of brevity (ha!) I'll end it here and post more questions as they come to me. Oh yeah, I alsmost forgot. If you are a gorgeuous Dutch mistress with a nice pad in Amsterdam looking for a sex slave to stay at your place rent free, feel free to contact me.

peace,
matt

p.s.- what's the exchange rate from euros to American dollars?

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: matt66]
    #2774279 - 06/08/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

there is enough americans in europe all ready, no more refugees from usa , try a refugee camp in mexico. I understand that you want to come to europe, we are smarter, brighter, better looking people with way better weed and beer but americans is like a terrorist magnet. for my safety STAY HOME.

:grin:

seriously, come over. holland rocks, im from holland myself but i dont live there anymore :smile:

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug98TKkWKy0

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: moving to amsterdam *DELETED* [Re: matt66]
    #2774314 - 06/08/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #2774323 - 06/08/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well, controlled it can be a good experience, when I was 17 I ran away to Copenhagen where I didnt know anyone and lived in parks and collected bottles and such to survice for 3 months, then I went home :laugh: it was a good time actually, i was dirty filthy and hungry but life was still easy in a very special kinda way,  however i wouldnt want to live like that for much longer than I did, it was great for experiment and I learned alot from it. But I wouldnt go all the way to usa to try it there, its too far so thats maybe something to concider.

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#2774366 - 06/08/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Exchange rate is $1.22 for every ?.

Now, I agree with script...i don't see the logic

i'm an expat from the US living in Europe and i'd have to say there are a lot of issues that you have a consider. first, you'll be arriving into amsterdam with just a tourist visa. you're only allowed to stay in the EU for approximately 6 months with a tourist visa and they will question you at the immigration control at the airport about why you've come to visit the Netherlands. you are not allowed to work with just a tourist visa, so if you're thinking of street performing, waiting, whatever...you need the appropriate working visa to do so, which you present at the immigration control at the airport once you arrive. if you get caught say street performing by the cops in the middle of the city, they'll question your motive and might deport your ass.

the best solution is to look at different job sites on the internet FIRST and apply to specific jobs that suit you. if that doesn't work, then you can take your chance by working under the table by waiting at some restaurants or bars...but the chances are, not many people will go for that since it's a risk for themselves too with the authorities and govt. your best bet to be able to live in Europe is to have a company sponsor you over to work for them. that's quite difficult but if i was able to do it, so can you.

in regards to getting a job teaching english, good luck. it is true that most dutch people already speak english because they are taught it at school. you also need to take a test and show that you have the appropriate qualification to teach people english (don't know what the test or qualification is called). plus, you'll run into the problems that you don't know dutch yourself, so how are you going to answer the questions that some students will have in regards to learning english?

good luck in getting housing as well. $750 a month doesn't even cut it for a small 10ftx10ft room i bet, that is unless you live outside of the city in buttfuckvillenowhere.

if i were you, i'd think this out a little bit more. being stuck in a foreign country where you might not be able to communicate with some people if you're in trouble won't be the best of experiences.

good luck and if u have any more questions don't hesitate to post again.

cheers

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: boO]
    #2774372 - 06/08/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

its nice in buttfuckvillenowhere tho :smile: there is a new cinema there wich only sends 2 year old movies now, the wonders of technology and the telegraph

--------------------

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #2774473 - 06/08/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Why the hell would you want to live in a country where you can roll a joint whilst sat having a coffee and reading the paper?
:smirk:

I have been to Amsterdam many times, I really like it there.
I first backpacked through there at age 18. I met many Americans then, a few were there to set up home (I wonder how they are doing now).

I hitchhiked through every country in Europe at that time, and Amsterdam was my favourite.

I say go for it, you can always go back home if you don't make/like it (keep enough for your airfare stashed).

Live your dream, theres a lot of  time to regret it when you're older if you don't!

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #2774582 - 06/08/04 11:55 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DreaMaTrix said:
Live your dream, theres a lot of time to regret it when you're older if you don't!

Exactly

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2774741 - 06/08/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It's probably not that difficult to get a working visa. You could probably do it after you arrive, right?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinematt66
Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #2774761 - 06/08/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here's a bit more info...I'm a college grad who doesn't want no stinking job behind a computer, or working as a suit for some company or corporation which sells a product people don't actually need. Yes, it's impractical, possibly even dangerous to head out to Europe without a job or place to stay, especially in a city known to have housing and job shortages, and especially for foreign immigrants/travellers (an American none the less, I mean there are plenty of jobs to be had at home).

I guess I'm just restless and curious and don't really give a fuck. I'm not going for the weed and the shrooms (though that will be nice). Pot is a phonecall away right now and mushrooms are a simple trip to my closet. But you know, I love many things about America, but I also feel like somewhat of a hypocrite to be living in a country which thrives on certain values I find unethical. Everything in this country is set up so the rich get richer. Now we may have welfare and jobs for the poor and disadvantaged, and it may be a worldwide phenomenon that the rich get richer, but I think Americans are so deluded by the aquisition of wealth, that many are willing to sacrifice their comfort, personal talents, and happiness to pursue the dream of a richer tomorrow.

I'm a hedonist. I love playing guitar and drawing, and pot and shrooms can really fuel my creativity. I only plan on leaving when I have a round trip ticket bought, and $2,500 U.S.D in my bank account. Worst comes to worst, I'll stay until I'm down to my last 200$, then I'll take a bus to the airport and go home. More likely however, if Amsterdam doesn't work out, I'll meet some European backpackers and tag along with them, either hitchiking or with a europass (I'd appreciate any info you may have on the europass- I heard it's relatively cheap and that you can take a train to any of the participating countries with the same pass).

And I am proud of the fact that I am a college grad who isn't letting the pressure and expectations of the world, society, friends, and family dictate my life decisions by finding gainful employment. I value money only so far as it is able to pay for food, shelter, and a few other basic necessities. It's pretty damn easy to fall into the mold and get a nice paying deskjob with good benefits, a nice apartment etc. etc. But that shit just ain't me. It's fine, probably even best for some people, but I'd be living a lie trying to convince myself that working 40 hours a week to make some company more god damn money while they keep getting tax breaks from our feeble minded "president" (my god I am ashamed- the leader of the free world can't tie his own fucking shoes and reads the bible, not the newspaper in the morning, looking to Jesus for guidance) was the life for me. Meanwhile the prisons are filled with minorities while the drug war continues unabated, costing this country billions of dollars each year which should be used to fund public education and housing projects for poor urban areas.

But enough of that. I hate politics because nothing ever changes and I am not foolish enough to think I can make a difference through my words. But through art and music it is possible to transcend the world of selfish greed and trivial problems we love to create for ourselves and return to a simple existance without debilitating desires or regrets.

Maybe I needed to go to college to discover that I shouldn't have needed to go to college. I got a prepackaged and prescribed education so I could think like everyone else and talk about the same stupid issues like cultural, societal, and ethnic differences, all of which encourage the belief that our species should be divided and separated into groupings, conveniently missing the fundamental truth that we are all one. Yes, there is risk in travelling to Amsterdam with limited funds and the possibility I won't be able to find work, but if I stay put, I run the risk of joining the machine as it struggles to consume everything in its path. If it don't work out, I may lose a little money, but I will have tried something different and experienced a different culture and met interesting people, and stared at a room full of van Goghs while tripping my balls off. I can think of a few worse things a person can do with their life, and it all starts with a shirt and a tie, a calender full of appointments, and a boss breathing down your neck, while sacrificing your dreams for the promise of a steady paycheck. Financial security does not translate to emotional or behavioral stability, though that is the common delusion.

Having said all this, I really do appreciate everyone who responded, as I believe most were honestly trying to help, not shoot down my dreams. I am working on many of the concerns you all raised, and I plan on doing a lot more research and job hunting etc. before I buy my plane ticket. And yep, I did start this link a few weeks back, and it was as helpful now as it was then, and I'll most definately be starting this thread over in another week when I have read all your responses and considered some of my options further. Thanks!

matt

--------------------

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

#2774770 - 06/08/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:wink:  i love the gray area coffeeshop :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinematt66
Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: Learyfan]
    #2774775 - 06/08/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

hmm...do you think? I have plenty of time now to apply for a working visa and I will definately contact the appropriate agency/consulate to find out more, but it does seem logical that most of my concerns regarding housing and jobs etc. can best be worked out once I'm actually in Amsterdam. But there is no harm in educating myself now so that I don't run into any "surprises" once I'm there. My "safety net" consists of the $2,500 I'll have in my bank account and the knowledge that there are at least three hostels with beds available for the week in which I plan on arriving in Amsterdam, all of which are less than 30$ a night. And I'll buy a roundtrip ticket so I won't be stuck in Europe with no food, money, or shelter, if things don't quite work out.

peace,
matt

--------------------

Offlinematt66
Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: shamantra]
    #2774817 - 06/08/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well, you guessed one of my next questions... what's your favorite smoking pub?! I was just a bit unclear. Did you mean the Gray Area Coffeeshop as in the proper name of the cafe, or did you mean any and all cofeeshops in the area where you wrote BEST WEED! (ha!)? Sorry, I'm a bit simple. Thanks for the map!

And to anyone else who might read this post, what are some of your favorite Amsterdam hangouts? As far as cafes go, I'd like to try a place with top notch weed and hash (hopefully not too expensive), with a very laid back and friendly atmosphere, without too many American tourists, but American-friendly none-the-less. The kind of place where people like smoking with strangers and sharing stories and partying together late into the night. Some cool live music and art would also be nice. As far as nightclubs and bars go, I'm wondering if there is sort of a rowdy weed-party place to dance. I like being with drunks, but I'm not a big drinker myself and enjoy dancing stoned/tripping. I'm into rock, blues, jazz, swing, flamenco etc. but I'm not a big fan of hip-hop, techno, or disco music, but shit, I'll go wherever the girls are. Thanks for the advice...

matt

--------------------

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

#2774820 - 06/08/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.greyarea.nl/  :smile: its the name of a small but my fav coffeeshop in ammydam .

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: Learyfan]
    #2775037 - 06/08/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

heh, you don't get a working visa after you arrive into the EU. You have to have a job ready for you in the EU country that you want to move in, in order for you to get a working visa.

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#2775045 - 06/08/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i do agree that you should do as much as you can before you become old and have responsibilities...but one thing about moving to antoher country is that you have to plan it out throughly.

i moved to the UK at the spur of hte moment but ONLY after i got into school. after school i wasn't able to stay in the UK unless i worked my way into getting sponsored and that's what i did. i have heard many stories of people travelling to a certain country in europe just to live there for a bit and about 99% of them have run into quite critical problems. sure, it's nice to go backpacking around europe and check out the different cities (also remember portugal has decriminalized some drugs), but unfortunately there are a lot of politics involved when you're moving into a new country whether you like it or not.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #2775292 - 06/08/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

shamantra said:
there is enough americans in europe all ready, no more refugees from usa , try a refugee camp in mexico. I understand that you want to come to europe, we are smarter, brighter, better looking people with way better weed and beer but americans is like a terrorist magnet. for my safety STAY HOME.

:grin:

seriously, come over. holland rocks, im from holland myself but i dont live there anymore :smile:

Where do you think most Americans came from?  Are you ignorant or just trying to be funny?

EDIT: I figured out you were being funny.  I recant my statement.  :smirk:

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Edited by Signo (06/08/04 04:06 PM)

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2777112 - 06/09/04 05:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

About Portugal, all drugs were decriminalized but one can still get penalties which can be heavier depending on the drug. Drug traffic is more than ever considered a crime though ....
Anyway, the best part is you don't go to jail for consuming and your criminal record remains clean.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Re: moving to amsterdam [Re: MAIA]
    #2777118 - 06/09/04 05:38 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

all amounts that can be concideret personal use are legal in portugal I think

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2777137 - 06/09/04 05:48 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Seriously? How can drugs be legal but you still recieve penalties for doing them, that doesnt make sense. Can you buy say magic mushrooms in certain stores in portuagl (like amsterdam)?

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies