Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletranceaddict
sleepyhead

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
ID :: Melbourne, Australia - Crafty little mushrooms... PICS
    #2768324 - 06/06/04 05:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hi guys.

A couple of days ago I was hunting around an old creek bed that was littered with debris from the surrounding pine trees. While examining a more common variety I stumbled across an area of rather crafty mushrooms that were growing in this well-mulched pine needle debris. They were growing in the mud/mulch underneath the pine needles either as camoflage or the recent rain had flooded the creek bed and covered them in debris.

I could only find this particular type of mushroom in a short stretch of the creek bed where the pine tree mulch was old and damp. They were growing in clumps, like a bunch of flowers, sometimes between rotting wood or decaying plant matter. Some of the mushrooms looked like they were starting to rot, due to being covering in all this damp debris, and the only indicator of their presence was a little bump in the pine needles that when brushed aside would reveal another bunch of mushrooms.

It was still raining so the cap and stems seem to have a purple color to them. The stems were easily seperated from what may have been white mycelia (?). I found other small bunches of mushrooms that were quite fresh and when I seperated the stems from the mycelia (?) I could see a purpleish 'goo' that went up into the stems almost like the lifeblood of the mushrooms.

Some of the caps were wavy but a lot were old enough to be upturned. The gills ascend towards the stem. Not all the gills go from the outside edge to the stem - it looks like 1 long, 2 short, 1 long, etc... I picked quite a few and, possibly due to their dampness, they had a very strong fruity sort of smell.

They all dried easily and have lost a lot of their size. I got a couple of good spore prints that are brown in color. None of the dried mushrooms appear to have any blue staining but a couple have some purple marks left on the stems. A lot of the mushrooms were covered in orangey spores on their caps and gills.

As you can see, the cap color varies from a brown to a purple and some have a rather pronounced 'nipple'. Radial lines are also visible on the top of the caps.

Whatever these guys are I was fascinated by their secret habitat and how they were growing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David. :rasta:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: ID :: Melbourne, Australia - Crafty little mushrooms... PICS [Re: tranceaddict]
    #2770454 - 06/06/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Can't really tell anything from those photos, not so much cause they're bad photos, but more cause the shrooms are so degraded/ old/ rotting. One of the caps upturned in shot to show gills woulda' been good also. And a shot or two of them growing.
Shroom in bottom right of pic #1 looks the 'least degraded', and resembles a strophoria sp. to me (not edible). This would also be supported by the 'orangy "spores" ' that you report are visible on some caps, and the orangy/ brown colours I think I can see on the stems. Some stroph' species are poisonous so don't eat any of those, as they can't be identified. Wait for a couple more opinions/ further advice, but I'm pretty sure they'll be similar...

Good Luck !!

Edited by suboriginal (06/07/04 01:27 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID :: Melbourne, Australia - Crafty little mushrooms... PICS [Re: tranceaddict]
    #2770741 - 06/07/04 01:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

While I'm no expert on mushrooms from down under, I wouldn't eat those (hope you weren't planning on it).

They don't bruise blue and the fact that you mention seeing "orangey spores on their caps and gills" kinda freaks me out. Was this a rusty orange color? Did any of the mushrooms have veils or veil remnants on the stem?

Invisibletranceaddict
sleepyhead

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: ID :: Melbourne, Australia - Crafty little mushrooms... PICS [Re: Gumby]
    #2770904 - 06/07/04 05:57 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I had a quick look for more info on "strophoria" but it seems there are both active and non-active mushrooms that go by this name.

The spores that had covered the older specimens were a rusty orange color, as was the spore print.
There were no extra protrusions/remnants on their stems but I have seen that on other poisonous mushrooms in the bush.

I ~was~ looking for actives in this area of pine mulch but regardless I'm fascinated by how this variety was growing, hiding under the litter of pine needles as camoflage.

David :rasta:

Offlineferret
strange

Loc: VIC, Australia
    #2771191 - 06/07/04 09:40 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

those definately arent active and wouldnt be stropharia either as theyve got purple-brown spores.
no idea what they are though sorry

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID :: Melbourne, Australia - Crafty little mushrooms... [Re: tranceaddict]
    #2771485 - 06/07/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Given the spore color I'd lean towards Inocybe for these.

Inocybe is a genus to avoid for mushrooms you might eat. It probably has more poisonous species than any other genus.

Other than a few distinctive species, a microscope is required to identify Inocybes.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2771519 - 06/07/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I like that mushroom icon in the corner of the pictures.

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2772265 - 06/07/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hows this camouflage Trazmo... also from around Melbourne...

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Edited by suboriginal (06/07/04 04:25 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2773927 - 06/08/04 04:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

very hard to say - you need to include a pic of the gills and colour of spores.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck