Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Grow Log: Cased PF cakes, EQ /// originally HELP! Overlay!
    #2765681 - 06/05/04 07:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Originally this was a post asking for help, but since I think I have overcome my problem, I've decided to make this a grow log of sorts.
If this should be moved over to grow logs go ahead I guess

My grow is pretty simple (my first one) but what I did was:

-12 PF jars innoc'd with EQ from FSRC, which were incubated for 4 weeks, incubator (also terrarium) was at room temp or a bit higher so what can you do. No real order is these three pics, just some random pics I found on my computer

-dunk/cold shock 24hrs in a cooler with some ice packs

-11"x11" casing, 2/3" wet perlite (i dunno why exactly), 2" grated cakes, 1/2" verm

-incubated for 3 days

-fruited with pretty decent timing IMO, we just left it and when we looked it was only slightly past any better time

-around 75 degrees, light, but once birthed I didn't mist for a week which may have been the reason that for about 5 days they continued mycelium growth, colonizing the casing layer entirely. But eventually they began to initiate pinning and I am just going to leave it for this flush and may be dunk and probably case for 2nd flush but I haven't decided yet. I got some nice bright blue LEDs for lighting because batteries were becoming a problem, this should last a good bit. Wish I could show you a pic of the overlay, oh well

-June 7- first pins today, 6 weeks from innoculation, only a few, but the whole casing is very close throughout. heres a pic of a corner that had a couple in it and you can also see how overlayed shit was/is

-June 8- pins are growing more

-June 9- my friend says that the pins have grown to several inches
Seems that the rest of the casing will be a couple days, because the pins are mostly around the least thickly overlayed areas, but I'm sure it will all come around in a couple days.

-June 10- got to see the goods in person for the first time today. Most of the casing still has not broken through, but all I can say is it is an amazing thing to grow your own shrooms. When I saw it I said that it was just like in pictures on here but in real life!
Anyways don't have a picture for today yet, will soon though

Couldn't have happened without you guys

Below is the original topic from a couple days ago when I first saw grow after a week and a half of fruiting VVVVVVVVV
-------------------------------------------------

Mannnnnnnn
Ok my friend has been taking care of our casing for the last week (since last Wednesday actually), fanning, light on, and since you need a drop in humidity I told him not to mist. But I don't have a thermometer/hygrometer in there because for some reason he didn't put it in the FC but I'll find out temps and humidity sometime today.
Now I come yesterday to see that the whole casing has overlayed. Like some serious overlay, but he said that the growth had stopped getting thicker after a couple days of growing more once we had put on light and CO2 exchange. Mabye it isn't "overlayed" that the top layer is dead, but it looked like some damn thick mycelium on top. For mabye 24hrs, a couple days ago, we didn't have light because we needed batteries, but that was after the overlay had already set in and hopefully that wont delay pinning even more. Now I have some bright blue LEDs in there which should last some time.
When fruited I have to say that the timing looked perfect. I do not know why mycelium growth continued, but it has.

I don't know I can get a picture but I will try.
Is there anyway it will pin and grow well now if I just continue fanning with light?
Or should I deep scratch? Do I scratch over the whole casing? How much longer will it take and how much will it reduce yields?

AHHHHHHH I can't believe this is happening :frown: :frown: :frown:
Somebody please help quick

Edited by holio1 (06/10/04 06:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: holio1]
    #2765688 - 06/05/04 07:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

when i deep scratched, i ended up with mutants and skinny shrooms. you can try it. deep scratch, and add another thin casing layer. or you can just leave it be. It will eventually pin, just like a PF cake does. remember, a pf cake is pretty much an overlayed casing. It'll just take a bit longer.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #2765735 - 06/05/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

don't worry, one time I had the worst case of overlay and it turned out to be my best flush ever. It was in fact the flush that won the March pic of the month contest.
I too thought that the casing would never pin and it took about a week of constant misting in the fruiting chamber until it finally did. Just make sure you are misting it enough to get the water all the way through the mycelial mat and have proper drainage to allow the water runoff.

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #2765825 - 06/05/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

misting is actually a great way to stop the vegetative stage(mycelium growing) if you mist twice a day you can basically keep the mycelium dormant until primordia...at that point I stop misting...not that it will hurt anything if kept light but I just don't think it needs it at that point

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2766203 - 06/05/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: billbraski]
    #2766652 - 06/05/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Do I need to drill holes in the bottom for drainage then? I have a 1/2" layer of perlite at the bottom if that means anything.
Should I mist with H202/water or is just somewhat clean water fine?
Should I mist just around the chamber or right on the casing? Was that a week after birthing or from what point?

I am really concerned though, because at the end of the month I am going away (and the guy who I am doing it with) and I know my friends would be a bit disappointed if my grow was a big failure and I sure would be. So I want to try and have this go as quick as possible at this point, but I know overlay will delay things.

BTW mag, I have a fucking doormat. The entire casing is evenly covered in what was at the thickest points in your pictures :frown:

FUCK i am going to go cry now

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2766655 - 06/05/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ouch, got ya and good luck  :thumbup: :grin:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2766697 - 06/05/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You should be fine as long as your substrate has plenty of moisture content. The biggest problem with overlay IMHO is that you cant get to the substrate to supplement water. This really isnt a big deal considering most of the time their is plenty of water within to make a nice flush of mushies. You will probably want to dunk though after the first flush as much of the water will have been sucked up and there wont be enough left for a good second flush.

Good Luck holio!
MYKEY :jamming:

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: Magash]
    #2766698 - 06/05/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Can you answer my questions above though?
I'm going over soon to work on it so what should I do tonight? I'll check the humidity but I assume its lower than 95% since I haven't done anything since casing? Should I?

love you man

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2766709 - 06/05/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think Magash is offline holio,but I will answer a couple of your q's . As far as misting I would go ahead and go with a little h2o2 in your misting water.-1/10 Since you have a solid sheet of myc you have to be careful about misting it very much directly. The water wont easilly absorb and you could get puddling on the surface. This would be a bad thing and the myc would suffer. Just keep the inside of the chamber well misted so the air wont get too dry and suck moisture out of the casing. As long as your Rh is around 90% you are in good shape,especially since you wont have any problems with the air dessicating your substrate since it is sealed up with myc.

Hope things go well for ya holio!
MYKEY

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#2766732 - 06/05/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

try what i said....scratch and recase. worked for me.

--------------------

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #2768308 - 06/06/04 05:04 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You need to fan more.

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: goldtop]
    #2768719 - 06/06/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

No, it has been fanned 2-3 times daily the whole time.

mycoguy- I don't think I will have to scratch, it seems to be growing to little points now and looks like its about to explode with pins once they come up.

Mykey- OK I misted the sides. I will try and keep it so there is some condensation around the chamber, misting everyday probably. I am just using bottled water for now, but I used bottled water to saturate my casing layer too (microwaved but then added more water after without more microwave) so it should be good. I know minimizing chances of contams, oh well... I have to get more H202, I used it all for something else.
My question to you is, when should I stop misting?

-
Once I see pins should I add some casing layer (I am using verm)? Or just let the first flush go, harvest, and then dunk and recase?
I want to try and get large flushes, but I don't really want to delay things any more than necessary.
If I don't dunk after this flush will later flushes be very small due to lack of moisture? Or will just misting often be enough?

Thanks guys. I don't think it will turn out that bad at least on the first flush, I really think this think is going to be covered in pins tomorrow... we'll see

OfflineIamthewalrus
Male User Gallery

#2768742 - 06/06/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

probably... ime the best pinsets come from casing layers with mycelium popping up everywhere

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #2769537 - 06/06/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OK, I think I am going to just let this flush do its thing because it should get going soon, and then depending how it does I might dunk after. Then I will add a new casing layer.

Sounds good?

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2770199 - 06/06/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Im glad to here its comin out ok! IMO overlay is kinda blown out of proportion,as far as how catasrophic it is.

As far as when you should stop misting the walls inside the chamber...I would probably just keep an eye on the rh and if it drops under 90 spritz it up in there a bit. Just try and keep from hitting the fruits though.

Sounds like you have got it under control to me,my friend. I think you will be surprised to see an awesome pinset followed by a forest of shrooms.(I hope!)

Dont forget to bump this one up and let us know how it turned out.

MYKEY

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: HELP! Overlay! [Re: Mykey]
    #2772012 - 06/07/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

man you basically just read my mind

I'm so excited my friend calls me up this afternoon and he is like "PIINNINGGG" and i was so happy (I am stoned right now)

I had been doing what you said since when the problem came up, you taught me well :smile:

I haven't seen a picture yet, but when one I will definitely post it up, also I think I'll edit the first post and put whatever earlier pics I had, they are probably pretty shitty because my friend sucks at camera. Also there is no picture of what the terrarium looks like now oh well its basically just a safe with cool lights.
Fuck This was what I wanted to type about VVVVVVV man shpongle is my hero
So i don't know how even they are (he said there was less than 10 anyways when he looked), but he told me that it's looking really close to pinning all over. Hopefully I will have a nice even pinset despite the overlay because it was very even before overlay.

love you guys
peace :mushroom2: :evil: :syringe: :crazy2:

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: Grow Log: Cased PF cakes, EQ /// originally HELP! Overl [Re: holio1]
    #2782859 - 06/10/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

bump

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#2783948 - 06/11/04 05:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

interesting, with my experience, EQ's dont need cold shocking.

--------------------

OfflineIamthewalrus
Male User Gallery

#2784614 - 06/11/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I never thought I'd see a pic of eqs overlayed....I honestly don't even know how to make overlay happen I've never seen it...I've had my casing layer 100% colonized but it was not matted and was not pure white on top like in your pic

EDIT: I think the problem may have been the lack of misting..misting is not only great for adding water but it helps control the vegetative stage(mycelium growing)...if you mist every 12 hours you will basically have no more growth than when you first put your casing into fruiting conditions

Edited by Iamthewalrus (06/11/04 11:18 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale