Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN
    #2763948 - 06/04/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN; CITES 'FAMILY TIME'
Fri Jun 4, 2004 12:32:11 ET

** Credit Broadcasting and Cable **

In an interview set for broadcast Sunday on C-SPAN, presidential hopeful John Kerry says he supports the current FCC crackdown on television indecency, but comes out against the greater scrutiny of pay cable channels like HBO and Showtime.

"I think there is a distinction between public broadcast and the notions we've had historically about family time, family hour -- and what you buy privately and personally."

"I am not in favor of government interference and censorship and restriction of what an individual privately can decide to do in their home, in their own space, so to speak," Kerry said, but he did seem to be OK with indecency regulation "where you have children involved, where you have a broader cross-section of the public, where there is sort of a sense of family time or hour."

On media concentration:

"I wasn't there for the vote, but I was 100% in favor of overturning this rule.

"I think that too much media in the hands of one powerful entity or one individual is a mistake. I think it runs counter to the foundation of our country. I think it runs counter to the need for Americans to know what they are getting news and information from multiple sources that are not singularly controlled."

On the Janet Jackson Super Bowl 'nipple' incident:

"I thought that was in poor taste and wrong -- wrong venue, wrong timing, wrong place, wrong audience. So, there are some standards and pretty generally people should know what they are."

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2763963 - 06/04/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds pretty good to me. I definitely don't support censure of pay cable, but free broadcast tv I think it's reasonable to compromise and set some basic standards. I like his quote about the consolidated media ownership and how it's not really a good thing, though I regret him not being able to make it to the senate to vote.. but as long as it passes without a margin of 1, no harm no foul I guess. Good quote on the janet jackson thing too I think.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN [Re: unbeliever]
    #2763970 - 06/04/04 03:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So the well to do can watch whatever they wish, but the poor who can't afford cable can't?

All TV's come with the ability to change channels.

That is the only form of TV censorship that should be allowed.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2763984 - 06/04/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

that's some fucking bullshit right thar....

but he's still the better choice.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2763991 - 06/04/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
So the well to do can watch whatever they wish, but the poor who can't afford cable can't?

All TV's come with the ability to change channels.

That is the only form of TV censorship that should be allowed.

Well I agree that the main problem with censorship is that people aren't willing to exercise their personal responsibility as a rational thinking being capable of discretion and choice.

That said, your arguement makes no real sense. The truth is that YES you get more for what you pay for. Communism may sound great in theory but unfortunately it simply does not work in practice, not on any real scale. Besides almost all of the major television shows that people seem to go ga-ga over (Survivor, American Idol, Friends, Frasier, the Simpsons, etc) are all on network TV so don't pretend like there is absolutely nothing to be had there. Oh and don't forget that almost all the broadcast channels are also news affiliates of the major tv networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc).

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2764001 - 06/04/04 03:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It doesn't matter what channel shows are on. I don't want the government involved.

Please show the appropriate Amendment aqllowing the feds to decide who watches what, where.

Quote:

Communism may sound great in theory

:rotfl:

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2764007 - 06/04/04 03:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, nothing that you post about Kerry will trump Bush's Iraq war. Kerry may be a douche, but nothing beats Bush in the field of douchbaggery.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN [Re: Learyfan]
    #2764010 - 06/04/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Can't stay on topic?

In case you missed it it's a thread about Kerry's position.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2764023 - 06/04/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
It doesn't matter what channel shows are on. I don't want the government involved.

Please show the appropriate Amendment aqllowing the feds to decide who watches what, where.

Quote:

Communism may sound great in theory

:rotfl:

I agree, it shouldn't be the Government who dictates the definition(s) of decency. I do support networks censoring themselves though, they're private businesses. Especially when their service is offered for free. Even cable channels though, if they wanna censor themselves, great, there will still be channels like hbo/showtime etc that have different standards and the ratings will show just what level of decency the people are comfortable with.

As for the comment about communism.. Not sure what your laughing at. Communism is an idea that would work great if we're talking about a bee hive or ant hill. Unfortunately you're talking about the human animal and few are content with having just what they need and there is also a serious lacking of social responsiblity to support any communist state. Though there was a large christian Jewish community in the early years of christianity that lived in what basically amounts to a communist society and that worked out pretty well for quite awhile.

*shrug*

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2764039 - 06/04/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

my problem is commercials which are in your face before the remote can be in your hand.
Fer christ's sake Between the boner pills and the damn things got wings(imagine flocks of napkins migrating to bloody crotches :eek:).The ads for hemi's(anal) and vaginal dryness.Ad infinitum.
control this and 90% of peoples uppityness over the whole issue would change.
WR:wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN [Re: whiterasta]
    #2764045 - 06/04/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

How about, if you can't stand to be the slightest bit offended then do not turn on the tv. A channel should be able to plug what ever the fuck they want.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: KERRY SUPPORTS FCC INDECENCY CRACKDOWN [Re: d33p]
    #2764049 - 06/04/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
How about, if you can't stand to be the slightest bit offended then do not turn on the tv. A channel should be able to plug what ever the fuck they want.

I think that in today's world of global communication there should be some reliable, free news sources via television that can be expected to have a certain level of standards. Just my opinion. :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2764052 - 06/04/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Communism is an idea that would work great if we're talking about a bee hive or ant hill. Unfortunately you're talking about the human animal and few are content with having just what they need and there is also a serious lacking of social responsiblity to support any communist state.

That's exactly why I was laughing. Communism is not a good idea. Remove the ability to strive for rewards and you promote mediocrity. Someone will always want more and find a way to get it.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2764062 - 06/04/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I think that in today's world of global communication there should be some reliable, free news sources via television that can be expected to have a certain level of standards.

all well and good if they can survive on their own. That doesn't change the fact the the FCC should not be able to tell me what I may watch and how I may watch it.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2764067 - 06/04/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
Quote:

d33p said:

I think that in today's world of global communication there should be some reliable, free news sources via television that can be expected to have a certain level of standards. Just my opinion. :smile:

Well that is great but the government should not be the one to do it. Consumers should ask for it and they should be given it since it would generate money. Now if the company puts anything bad or false on the show people should boycott the channel forcing ad companies to pull out. This is just a rough generalization of what should happen. Sadly 100 years of the government babying us has made us lazy.

--------------------

bang bang

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2764073 - 06/04/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

I think that in today's world of global communication there should be some reliable, free news sources via television that can be expected to have a certain level of standards.

all well and good if they can survive on their own. That doesn't change the fact the the FCC should not be able to tell me what I may watch and how I may watch it.

And do you feel that they do now? Despite your own standards you do live in a society and there should be some responsiblity from the invididual to adapt to the society, at least within the context of public interaction. For example I'm fine with movie theatres not allowing kids to see R-rated movies and for them not showing x-rated films. What comes into your home is a lot trickier of course, but you have many choices there as well. Cable TV, premium channels, pay-per-view, dvds (rented, purchased or borrowed). I think it's a matter of having a basic starting point where there are certain applied standards and then from there the choice is up to the viewer.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2764081 - 06/04/04 04:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
And do you feel that they do now? Despite your own standards you do live in a society and there should be some responsiblity from the invididual to adapt to the society, at least within the context of public interaction. For example I'm fine with movie theatres not allowing kids to see R-rated movies and for them not showing x-rated films. What comes into your home is a lot trickier of course, but you have many choices there as well. Cable TV, premium channels, pay-per-view, dvds (rented, purchased or borrowed). I think it's a matter of having a basic starting point where there are certain applied standards and then from there the choice is up to the viewer.

You are the one who connects the cable, turns on the tv, and switches to that channel. It is the same to me as walking into an xxx theatre. That whole it comes into my house is just a weak argument for stealing cable and satellite tv.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2764089 - 06/04/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cable TV, premium channels, pay-per-view, dvds (rented, purchased or borrowed).

All well and good for those who can afford them.

It is not the governments place.

While you argued eloquently, you failed to convince me.

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2764111 - 06/04/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well put!I did not say I was offended by these examples I was using them as examples of where choice is made before you can decide on the content.This is fundamentaly wrong.No ones "freedoms" should be pushed into my home without my asking them in.Now you can argue that by having a media source you have relinquished your right to choose the content of the media,however the concept of respect of others falls aside to market forces too easily in this country.IMO the public airways(not privately purchased media)should show some respect for the consumer of the product(media) by at least using some moral judgment on the appropriate nature of what is presented.This is a razor edge for me as I am a free speech fanatic but like yelling "Fire" in a theatre there are inappropriate times to air certain products.It is really no different than a beer or viagra commercial on nickolodeon it is just not appropriate.
WR:wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #2764120 - 06/04/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Cable TV, premium channels, pay-per-view, dvds (rented, purchased or borrowed).

All well and good for those who can afford them.

It is not the governments place.

While you argued eloquently, you failed to convince me.

Well let me put together where I stand, it kinda got spread out across a few replies. Basically I look at it from a building block analogy:

foundation: free source of news (and entertainment(?)) which can/should be held to a certain level of public standards.

first level: cable tv and pay channels in general. These are services people PAY for. This is a capitalistic society and while I don't agree with all the connotations of that, this part I do agree with: You get what you pay for. You don't have the RIGHT to view uncensored entertainment in my opinion, it's a privilege and honestly there are enough cheap ways to take part in it I don't consider that arguement to be of much weight.

second level: pay-per-view, vhs/dvds, etc. There should be no restrictions on these really, this is wholly the responsiblity of the consumer as to whether they purchase/rent and view these materials. The only context in which they should be "censored" is when they are re-aired and that should be up to the cable network or part of the standards of the free channels. Also showing in the movie theatres of these films should be kept to the MPAA's rating system, it seems to work well enough for it's purpose.

Beyond that, and stepping out of the analogy, people who want to create films, entertainment and what have you shouldn't be restricted by anything except the laws of the land. Whether they can get a private company to distribute their project has nothing to do with censorship in my opinion.

Oh and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm just articulating my opinion. If nothing else it's an exercise which helps hammer out just how I feel about a given subject.

:smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom