Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD???
    #27344948 - 06/11/21 11:50 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

This is my 1st try with Pasty's EzLC and my third go at monos. My 1st run with monos must have been beginners luck, all six fruited. The 2nd trichD but it was a colonated grain bag given to me so I can't vouch for it's cleanliness - I did get one nice big fruit though. My 3rd attempt - one tub trichD, the other two stalled, only got a few fruits. This will be my fourth try and I'm not feeling experienced enough to determine if these jars are good or not so could use your trained-eye input and some encouragement to boot...
  • I followed Pasty's tek with two jars to the T, BUT, one I nocD in the morning and used a syringe to repeatedly pull up then squirt to jars sterilizing inbetween each (that's how I nocD LC I was given to jars with my first monos). The other I nocD that night and did follow the tek's pour instructions.
  • Noc'd rye jars 14 days ago on 5/28
  • Thought the myc's color was kinda grey but thought that was due to the blue food coloring used in Pasty's EzLC?
  • Shook them 5 days later at 30% or so
  • Shook again 4 days ago on 6/7 to see how they'd recover as it seemed things were moving slow, myc didn't look stronge to me (not how it looked with my first monos - you can browse my pics and see). And, I thought maybe shaking would tell me if they're contaminated or not :shrug:

It's been 4 days since the last shake - 14 days from being nocD - I expected more growth. What do you think? I'm thinking they might be contaminated?

The far right picture is of two jars. The one on the left was nocD by syringe, the one on the right nocD about twelve hours later by pouring. They look quite different don't you think?

--------------------
Granny's Awesome LAGM21

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: Threads2theSoul]
    #27344980 - 06/12/21 12:56 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Shoeboxes are perfect for sketchy spawn. 1 quart spawn 2 quarts coir. I dont see any mold and 2 weeks is about average for a fully colonized jar. Id go for it. Try agar to grain and do lc on the side while figuring it out. Best way to ensure clean jars.

InvisibleWyoMX
I'm a teapot

Loc: PNW
Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: JHOVA]
    #27345074 - 06/12/21 03:52 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

The third picture looks decent to me and the jar on the right in the two jar picture looks OK too. Personally I would run shoeboxes with all of those jars like the poster above me said, not really worth the risk of mixing sketchy spawn. I've ran worse looking jars then all of those and gotten decent flushes. I've also ran better looking jars then those and gotten trich by day 10 lol. Could have easily gotten a small ride along contam doing the syringe thing. I don't really use LC's I just knock up master jars with agar slices and grain to grain so I won't be much help with troubleshooting lc processes unfortunately.

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: WyoMX]
    #27345322 - 06/12/21 11:50 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
Shoeboxes are perfect for sketchy spawn. 1 quart spawn 2 quarts coir. I dont see any mold and 2 weeks is about average for a fully colonized jar. Id go for it. Try agar to grain and do lc on the side while figuring it out. Best way to ensure clean jars.

Quote:

WyoMX said:
The third picture looks decent to me and the jar on the right in the two jar picture looks OK too. Personally I would run shoeboxes with all of those jars like the poster above me said, not really worth the risk of mixing sketchy spawn. I've ran worse looking jars then all of those and gotten decent flushes. I've also ran better looking jars then those and gotten trich by day 10 lol. Could have easily gotten a small ride along contam doing the syringe thing. I don't really use LC's I just knock up master jars with agar slices and grain to grain so I won't be much help with troubleshooting lc processes unfortunately.

You guys have been really helpful - I've not read up on shoeboxes, been concentrating on 66 qrt Pasty's Ez monos, contams, agar, and now Pasty's EzLC and Josex' Poke. With all the fails I didn't like the idea that one jar could contaminate the whole tub. Is there a particular brand/size that everyone uses? Or actually, a particular tek you like? I've only used 66qrt tubs and once, a 27qrt made up like a Pasty Ez and that one trichD.

EDIT: ... OMG ... I think I just hit an information junkie's goldmine of shoebox teks with links to more info to boot: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24726257

THANK YOU YOU TWO!!!

Edited by Threads2theSoul (06/12/21 12:27 PM)

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: JHOVA]
    #27397289 - 07/22/21 12:00 AM (13 days, 5 hours ago)

Hey JHOVA and WyoMX or anyone who'd like to chime in... I did what you two said and made shoeboxes with those jars and a mono with the others that looked good.

First flush was good for all but...

What am I doing wrong with the second flush? Whats up with those black dots on the caps, wavey caps, and aborts? There were aborts in the first flush too but I read that's not unusual.

I don't have AC and room gets up to 85F which means the shoeboxes and mono are even hotter. Is it temp range from low 70's at night to mid to high 80's during the day? I leave two small windows open to help keep it cool. Is it from misting? I read aborts can be from too wet of sub. Can you tell by looking at the pics???

I'm having a hard time in knowing when to mist. I've read NOT to mist shrooms in one thread and then in another they talk about misting from colonization through fruiting??? Am I missing something here? Should I mist just the sides of the tubs when it's fruiting?

Shoebox 2nd flush

Mono 2nd flush

OfflineEnjoil
I love my bong!
 User Gallery

#27397787 - 07/22/21 11:59 AM (12 days, 17 hours ago)

Look up how to make you a casing layer bro bro. Then you won’t have to mist( as much) and get those nice canopy’s we all strive for. You got this bro!

OfflineEnjoil
I love my bong!
 User Gallery

Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: Enjoil]
    #27397792 - 07/22/21 12:02 PM (12 days, 17 hours ago)

And once the pins are formed you can stop misting and let em pop. Mist when it looks dry( it you use coco it get to be a lighter color brown)…

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

#27397938 - 07/22/21 02:05 PM (12 days, 14 hours ago)

Hey Threads. Home mushroom growing is more of an art than a science. Everyone’s environment is different, materials and available brands might be different etc. All you can do is gather as much info as possible and see what works for you.

I do shoe boxes pretty much like this - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

Mist the hell out of them after spawn then not again until maybe during the second flush but that’s just to feel good doing something lol. It’s hard to say what is going on with all those aborts. It could be from over misting maybe but doesn’t really look like it. There could be some bacteria in there, there may not be enough water in the sub to support that pin set, it could maybe be the heat as that’s fairly warm, or a combination of any of those things.

I’ve also had awesome pin sets just abort and only 10-15% mature and everything seemed totally fine. It’s frustrating sometimes.

Did you dunk or float your subs after the first flush?

--------------------
it’s not hard to relieve my service
Come inside of her inner circles

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

Re: 1st try at Pasty's EzLC - rye jars contamD??? [Re: Roger Clemency]
    #27398307 - 07/22/21 07:39 PM (12 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Enjoil said:
Look up how to make you a casing layer bro bro. Then you won’t have to mist( as much) and get those nice canopy’s we all strive for. You got this bro!

Quote:

Enjoil said:
And once the pins are formed you can stop misting and let em pop. Mist when it looks dry( it you use coco it get to be a lighter color brown)…

Enjoil - I did do a top layer of coir at the time I made the shoebox but from what I've read that's not considered a true casing. I was reffered to PE.. by TedsDead (for casing PE) but I didn't feel up to giving it a try at the time, maybe I will next time round. I appreciate your encouragement, this sure can be frustrating!

Quote:

Roger Clemency said:
Hey Threads. Home mushroom growing is more of an art than a science. Everyone’s environment is different, materials and available brands might be different etc. All you can do is gather as much info as possible and see what works for you.

I do shoe boxes pretty much like this - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

Mist the hell out of them after spawn then not again until maybe during the second flush but that’s just to feel good doing something lol. It’s hard to say what is going on with all those aborts. It could be from over misting maybe but doesn’t really look like it. There could be some bacteria in there, there may not be enough water in the sub to support that pin set, it could maybe be the heat as that’s fairly warm, or a combination of any of those things.

I’ve also had awesome pin sets just abort and only 10-15% mature and everything seemed totally fine. It’s frustrating sometimes.

Did you dunk or float your subs after the first flush?

There's enough info on this site to make your head spin! That's the tek I used along with Munch's Shoebox Method. Come to think about it these rye jars were one's I wasn't sure of so put them to shoeboxes. Gesh... so all this wondering whats going on is probably due to that! But... the mono with the same result was from good looking, smelling, easy-to-break-up rye jars. Go figure. So maybe the temps are a factor. You just never know :shrug:

I'll keep at it! Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.  :hug:

OfflineEnjoil
I love my bong!
 User Gallery

#27398323 - 07/22/21 07:57 PM (12 days, 9 hours ago)

Yeah I’m messing around with coco/Verm and peat/verm with a bit hydrated lime.  Seeing what I like better.
On the quest for that ever lasting  tub with nice flushes!

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

#27399227 - 07/23/21 03:25 PM (11 days, 13 hours ago)

So far I've only used Eco Coir (keeping it simple) adding verm only when I mess up field capacity and made it too wet. I read somewhere on this site where they added 1/4 cup of gypsum to the boiling water they use to prep the coir. It didn't say why though so I'm going to try and reasearch the benefits of doing that - unless you or someone who reads this knows? Good luck Enjoil :toast:

--------------------
Granny's Awesome LAGM21

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

#27399408 - 07/23/21 06:26 PM (11 days, 10 hours ago)

For a while gypsum was thought to be beneficial either as a pH buffer or some sort of additional something or other. Plus it made for a great acronym.. CVG - the ultimate cubensis substrate.

Now a lot of people push just plain old C. Myself I’m a CV kinda grower because I know my ratios and have FOBO.

--------------------
it’s not hard to relieve my service
Come inside of her inner circles

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder