Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Filthy Lucre
    #2733600 - 05/26/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

How do you stay above grubbing for money? When all the world seems to be looking out for number one (themselves), how do you stay above grubbing? How important should money be? How much money is enough?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: Frog]
    #2733620 - 05/26/04 05:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Define grubbing.
Money is important as all of your productive efforts, since money is often a representation of them.
How much money is enough? When your income exceeds your expenses is a good goal to work towards.

Ultimately of course money is meaningless, when you are a corpse in the ground. But until then, it is foolish to hate money or despise the wealthy or to believe that someone should only be allowed to have so much, because these are all notions that limit one's own capacity to be wealthy.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2733631 - 05/26/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i think just as long as you realize that money doesnt equal happiness.
dont live an unfulfilling life because your addicted to money or things.
otherwise, do what you please. its ok to be successful in your work, just dont think success will neccessarily bring you happiness.

know what i mean?
its ok to have goals and work hard to accomplish them, its ok to have passions; but the moment they create uneccessary worry, you need to rethink your priorities.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2733718 - 05/26/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Money is essential only to prolong life (in our society), which is what we are biologically programmed to strive to do. It becomes too much when money becomes the main focus in life. Money ultimately to most is just a distraction- something very fake to strive for, and something to try and pride oneself for earning.

No matter how much material wealth you save up over your life, none of it will do you any good when you're dead. Money doesn't bring hapiness, rather it temporarily covers unhapiness caused by other desires that are left unfulfilled. Cease to desire, and cease to be unhappy :smile:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2733927 - 05/26/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, see, I've been holding myself above "worry" about money.  I had decided a couple of years ago that if God wanted me to have money, I would have it.  In the meantime, I would work at what I love, and eventually, it would probably pay off.  Maybe God doesn't want me to have money???  :grin:

So, I've been working my ass off.  I'm associated with 3 different offices.  I have done appearances for some other attorneys.  What I am finding out is that everyone is making money off my work but me!  And I usually try to make sure that others are making money if I'm involved.  But I have found out some things, all at once recently, that show me that everyone I work with is out for themselves, and they could care less if I am making any money.  Most of them know I am enduring a hardship.  But they all take money off my work, and don't seem to care that I am not doing that well.

So, then it makes me think about whether I have to be cut-throat, or if I can just keep working my ass off and have nothing.  I am not very good at business.  Obviously, or I wouldn't be in the position in which I find myself.

Hence my questions.  Do I have to start grubbing?  Do I have to start being a dick about money?  Do I have to watch people?  Do I have to start acting like other people over money?  Or do I just continue to not worry about it?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #2733975 - 05/26/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Honestly, don't worry about it. There is no need to worry about money so long as you have enough for basic survival. :smile:

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2734038 - 05/26/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If youre a christian then you believe you are to judge angels at the next plane. why do you think your decisions on this plane are invalid? your god wants you in control of your life. is why youre not an animal. you have self awareness, appreciate it. money shouldnt be a priority above love but if you have the ability to make it, use it for the right things. in hindu belief, we are at the next plane what our actions at this one have made us

for the record. im neither x-ian or hindu but there is truth in all studies

my extra money is used for charities i believe in and great lengths are taken for me to live as economically as possible, just seems correct

:shrug:
just an opinion

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2735629 - 05/27/04 06:41 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So, then it makes me think about whether I have to be cut-throat, or if I can just keep working my ass off and have nothing.

You don't have to be cut-throat, merely aware that everyone is in it for themselves and will try to keep the maximum number of chips. Expect nothing from anyone and protect yourself. Go to the public library and check out "Looking Out for Number 1" by Ringer (or make me an offer as I am clearing out my library - hardcover very good condition).

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: Swami]
    #2735714 - 05/27/04 07:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think the whole argument about how much money is enough and keeping above grubbing all has to do with how you view money, and whats its purpose is.

For myself (I am not trying to make any kind of statement as to how others should, or should not go about their lives), i find money not to be of much importance. That is mainly because I dont need many material things to be content. FOr the last three years Ive lived quite happily on less than $15 k a year AUS (which is probably about 9 - 10 US Im not certain), admittedly I was sharing a house with friends, but I was perfectly content with the material things that I have in my life.

I personally feel that a lot of the times, the statement 'work in a job you hate, to buy shit you dont need' is very true. How much money is enough? Enough for what? to live happily? Not very much at all! To compete with others? Well not amount of money will ever be enough for that. I feel that it is much more conducive to happiness to learn to be content with a little, than it is to continually try to seek for more.

Just my 2c to the 'Money debate'

Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2736519 - 05/27/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think it all comes down to how much you need to get by. You don't have to be cut-throat, but you should at least make sure your needs are being taken care of.

I've recently accepted that I lead an expensive lifestyle and went back to work full-time in a career I don't really enjoy because I need the money. Almost all of my money goes to gas, food, weed, and cigs, so I don't feel like I'm being extravagant and materialistic. I could cut down on some things, but I'm happy with it this way & I guess I'm willing to drag my ass to work at 8:00 every day to pay for it. It's all a tradeoff - what you need vs. what you have to give up to get it.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
    #2736858 - 05/27/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I hate money. I work 2 jobs now...just bought my first car. I can spend a pay check in a day. Losing/gaining money does not phase me unless i cant make some payment...or i start to run out of pot.

In my perfect world (in my head) Id like to work for the actual neccessities. Not work for money. Id rather work growing/catching my own food. I would really like to build my own house too...i think it would be a fun adventure. You know what im saying though? Why work for money to buy things you "need" when you can skip the middle part (money) and just work for what you need. That is my dream. Ill end this rambling the same way i started it....

I hate money

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: MellowMood]
    #2737354 - 05/27/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I hate money, too.  I would work as an attorney for free if someone would just take care of me for the rest of my life, so that I didn't have to worry about it.  :grin:

But, I'm also getting tired of how I have to live because of having no money.  I'll keep doing it, but I'm tired of it.

I don't want to get a job in a law firm.  That would really suck.  In my book, if I had to break down and try to get a job for a firm, that would be giving up, the same as it would be giving up to live under a bridge and escape society. 

I don't mind making just enough money to survive, but I don't want to live under a bridge.  Sometimes, I feel like that's next.  There are no electrical outlets under bridges.  And it's damp, too.

--------------------

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
    #2737590 - 05/27/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

But you have a gift that can change the world if you contribute to worthy charities. You can earn money, its the love of money that brings error upon us.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #2739552 - 05/27/04 10:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This is the third time this week that someone has mentioned contributing to or working for charities. It's a charm, isn't it?!? Is God striking ME or something??? It's a sign, isn't it???

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2739877 - 05/27/04 11:31 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Frog, have I mentioned to you before about working for charities?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2739891 - 05/27/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"It's a sign, isn't it??? "

Yes it is a sign!! Grasp hold of what you have and take it for a ride. Money is meaningless if you do not have happiness. Maybe god is telling you this, or maybe he is speaking to you on a much different level?? I can not say for sure, but I do know that being filthy rich is not an aspiration of mine, nor will it ever be, but I do admit the temtations of wealth apeal to me without a doubt!! I am still trying to understand how me and money co exist and what it means to me, but I have yet to come to a conclusion.. all I can say is when people ask me for change I give it to them and when I ask for change I expect it in return.
peace

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2739911 - 05/27/04 11:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I cannot respond to this thread tonight. It is important to me, but I am too tired to give it the seriousness of thought that it deserves. Someone PLEASE bump it tomorrow for me so that I can re-read the last several responses and digest what was written. Thank you.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Filthy Lucre [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2742464 - 05/28/04 06:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I will add when I say 'change' I don't mean just quaters and dimes, but rather help in any way they/I need it.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2742730 - 05/28/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, it's just more of the same lesson.  Learning to be happy with what I have and not wishing for more in order to be happy. 

Finding a balance between being content and yet still striving for success.  What is success?  It's not defined by money, of course.  Some people go miserably to their graves with tons of money. 

I know!  I'll hurry and learn to be happy with what I have so that I can show the Universe that I've learned my lesson and then I can be rich, Rich, RICH!!!

:grin:

--------------------

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
    #2742826 - 05/28/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

no, the lesson is that learning to be happy without what you have and not placing value on materialism are the first steps to the secrets of fulfillment, spiritual success that is love. 

Success for some is measured in emotions, not money or toys.

You capped 'Universe'? good :smile: The Universe is love. That is where our real strength is generated.
Much sarcasm though....the lesson is love. Happiness and success are the side effects from seeking love and finding it in yourself to share with Universe, where it belongs. connected to all things, see?

Where I'm going is to state that money is not filthy, it's the love of it. the greed, lust for it and what it gets us that is dirty. Our true needs aren't in money, BUT if we can earn it; sharing it with groups or people that are incorporated for the purpose of sharing love worldwide may use it to do so. If your money is used to have a dozen children's lives in central America, for example, you have placed yourself closer to love. Does that make sense? :smile:

just my opinion
:shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds