Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCracked Egg
Stranger

Any cartoonist or artists?
    #27296566 - 05/06/21 05:35 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'd love to see this turned into a cartoon or comic.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-first-genetically-modified-mosquitoes-have-just-been-released-in-us/amp

Now ask yourself... Are you ready to bring smiles to millions or even billions?

--------------------
People Say I'll Regret That In the Morning, So I Sleep Till Noon..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRyeRay
19 & a new mom
Female

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: Cracked Egg]
    #27296599 - 05/06/21 06:33 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

No promises but I can try. I’ve got a few ideas going!

--------------------
Always give your 100 unless you’re donating blood!

OfflinegopherS
Coffee Bean Extraordinaire
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: RyeRay]
    #27296634 - 05/06/21 07:14 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Mosquitos are at the bottom of the food chain, the larvae get eaten by other stuff, this will cause a collapse of the food chain

--------------------
For most of the normies out there, an operating system is just a bootloader for Google Chrome.

Since Disney has obtained tremendous value from the public domain, knows how important the public domain is, and is firmly determined to never contribute anything to it.

My pronouns are He and Him, and my adjectives are Fat and Jazzy

:kratom:

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: Cracked Egg]
    #27296786 - 05/06/21 09:17 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Lowbrow is actually really good, hope he does something.

--------------------

OfflineCracked Egg
Stranger

Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #27297586 - 05/06/21 07:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah man.. I love seeing those creative wheels spinning..

Honestly, if I could draw or write what I see, feel, or think.. I'd be, a um... I don't know. Cool?

--------------------
People Say I'll Regret That In the Morning, So I Sleep Till Noon..

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: gopher]
    #27297798 - 05/06/21 10:01 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gopher said:
Mosquitos are at the bottom of the food chain, the larvae get eaten by other stuff, this will cause a collapse of the food chain

Scientists aren't complete idiots in this regard anymore. It doesn't kill all mosquitoes just the one particular one that carries nasty diseases. They released these GM mozzies in my area years ago, we used to have really bad issues with dengue and Ross River virus. Neither of these diseases are an issue now.

There's still fucktons of mozzies, just not the bad one.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

Loc: In Your Face
Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: Northerner]
    #27297833 - 05/06/21 10:41 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
Scientists aren't complete idiots in this regard anymore. It doesn't kill all mosquitoes just the one particular one that carries nasty diseases. They released these GM mozzies in my area years ago, we used to have really bad issues with dengue and Ross River virus. Neither of these diseases are an issue now.

There's still fucktons of mozzies, just not the bad one.

There isn’t a scientific consensus that it’s safe, and nobody is certain what the outcome may be. I can’t imagine how there will not be an effect when the entire population of this particular species collapses. Then again, deforestation and urbanization is displacing and killing off all the animal life that depends upon the mosquitoes as a food source, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway. Extinction of all nonhuman life seems like it’s a generally acceptable foregone conclusion for a lot of people.

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/06/21 10:45 PM)

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: GnashingGnosis]
    #27297875 - 05/06/21 11:15 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

You're just making up bullshit because it sounds nice to your ears.

They trialled it for many years in closed environments and then did trial runs in ecosystems that were isolated. Then it was tested in different areas in different countries. It works as intended. Aedes aegypti mosquitoes die from sterility. As they only make up a small proportion of the many different mosquitoes the others just fill in the ecological gap. Nothing is directly dependent on them except particular diseases.

What other evidence do you want? The science is irrefutable.

Maybe if I wasn't in an area that swarms in mosquitoes and this tech hadn't been used I might be able to give you the benefit of the doubt. But here I am. I read on this topic and the science and the studies a lot when they were released here. You're just pulling shit out of your ass and wiping it on the internet. Fear monger and misinformation spreader.

Yeah I'm being harsh. I would apologise, but I find posts that make stuff up about science repugnant. It's the bullshit antivaxxers and flat earthers feed on.

--------------------

Edited by Northerner (05/06/21 11:27 PM)

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: Northerner]
    #27297902 - 05/06/21 11:38 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
You're just making up bullshit because it sounds nice to your ears.

They trialled it for many years in closed environments and then did trial runs in ecosystems that were isolated. Then it was tested in different areas in different countries. It works as intended. Aedes aegypti mosquitoes die from sterility.

What other evidence do you want? The science is irrefutable.

Maybe if I wasn't in an area that swarms in mosquitoes and this tech has been used I might be able to give you the benefit of the doubt. But here I am. I read on this topic and the science and the studies a lot when they were released here. You're just pulling shit out of your ass and wiping it on the internet. Fear monger and misinformation spreader.

1. What do experiments in a closed environment prove about potential effects on an open ecosystem?
2. Sterility leads to population collapse and the extermination of that species in a given area.
3. First GM mosquitoes were released in 2010 in the Caymans. Project has been abandoned as a failure. Only 3 million were released there initially compared to the 750 million released in Fl.
4. Don’t insult me, you moron. I refrained from calling you stupid earlier, but WTF dude? When people like you aren’t worried the rest of us should be extra cautious about that particular issue

Quote:

live science said:
They found that some of the genes from the genetically modified mosquitoes had transferred to the native population. In other words, some of the offspring had survived and were strong enough to reproduce. This new population is a hybrid of Brazilian mosquitoes and the genetically modified mosquitoes that were created from strains in Cuba and Mexico, according to the study, which was published Sept. 10 in the journal Scientific Reports.

"The claim was that genes from the release strain would not get into the general population because offspring would die," senior author Jeffrey Powell, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at Yale University, said in a statement. “That obviously was not what happened.”

However, there is no known health risk to humans that might come from these hybrids, he said. “But it is the unanticipated outcome that is concerning,” Powell added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/genetically-modified-mosquitoes-create-hybrids.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/09/study-dna-spread-genetically-modified-mosquitoes-prompts-backlash
(Added as clarification and contrast to first source. Consequence of gm mosquito passing DNA to other species is unclear, the fact it happened and was not planned is not called into question.)

There’s nothing irrefutable or conclusive about the consequences of releasing genetically modified organisms into the wild. It’s new territory

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/06/21 11:55 PM)

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any cartioonist or artists? [Re: GnashingGnosis]
    #27297913 - 05/06/21 11:50 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I am actually insulting you now and not just your actions, opt out fag. Like all fight seeking trolls you read between lines and pick and choose what to address, make bullet points, read for 10 minutes on the internet and consider yourself an expert on a topic and start throwing insults when your idiocy becomes apparent.

:burn:

--------------------

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any cartoonist or artists? [Re: GnashingGnosis]
    #27297919 - 05/06/21 11:55 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GnashingGnosis said:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/09/study-dna-spread-genetically-modified-mosquitoes-prompts-backlash

There’s nothing irrefutable or conclusive about the consequences of releasing genetically modified organisms into the wild. It’s new territory

You didn't even read the article it seems. In one sentence you are saying its a threat to the ecosystem and in the next it's concern about possible efficacy long term.

Faggot troll.

--------------------

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

Re: Any cartioonist or artists? [Re: Northerner]
    #27297920 - 05/06/21 11:56 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I know you have a short attention span, dummy. And your reading comprehension is for shit, btw

The efficacy for wiping out the targeted species, the unintended heritability of modified DNA to non-targeted species, and the effects on the ecosystem as a whole are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Face it, northerner. You’re not that intelligent or informed enough about probably anything to be dumping on randos who call out your stupidity

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/07/21 12:11 AM)

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

#27297929 - 05/07/21 12:08 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

At least I'm not making up blatant lies like "never been done before". Shit on screen spreading opt out fag.

Quote:

The process, known as the Sterile Insect Technique, has been successfully used since the 1950s but the challenge in making it work for mosquitoes like the Aedes aegypti has been rearing enough mosquitoes, removing biting females, identifying the males and then releasing the huge numbers needed to suppress a population

https://www.csiro.au/en/news/news-releases/2018/trial-wipes-out-more-than-80-per-cent-of-disease-spreading-mozzie

--------------------

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

#27297935 - 05/07/21 12:15 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Sterile insect technique (traditionally, sterilization by irradiation) versus Oxitec’s genetically modified mosquitoes aren’t the same thing.

Quote:

Wiki said:
Oxitec developed a genetically modified version of Aedes aegypti to help control the transmission of mosquito-borne diseases.[25][26] Oxitec created genetically-altered males of the species (OX513A) that produce the protein tTA, which negatively affects cell development. While it was presented as a sterile insect technique in a publication by Oxitec,[27] this was disputed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxitec

The first genetically modified mosquito was released in 2010.

The mosquitos in Australia aren’t even being controlled the same way as they are in Florida. I had no idea what you were talking about because it has nothing to do with Oxitec’s mosquitos that are being used in OP’s cartoon.

Quote:

csiro.au said:
From November 2017 to June this year, non-biting male Aedes aegypti mosquitoes sterilised with the natural bacteria Wolbachia were released in trial zones along the Cassowary Coast in North Queensland.
https://www.csiro.au/en/news/news-releases/2018/trial-wipes-out-more-than-80-per-cent-of-disease-spreading-mozzie

Strictly speaking, I suppose you could call your sterilized Australian mosquitos “genetically modified” (maybe not idk), but there’s a tremendous difference between them and the altered, inheritable DNA of Oxitec’s mosquitos.

Quote:

usatoday.com said:
In this case, the aim is to use those released male Aedes aegypti to track down mates and lay eggs. The mosquitoes of both genders have been genetically modified so that any female offspring will die before reaching adulthood. With each successive generation, there will be fewer biting females. Eventually, the population will crash entirely.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/29/genetically-modified-mosquitoes-released-florida-keys-first-us/4876624001/

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/07/21 01:40 AM)

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

#27297987 - 05/07/21 01:48 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Fire's gone out dude, don't want to call you names anymore.

We'll see hey. Personally I'm pretty darn convinced by the science, its efficacy and the safety of the project. There is always some element of doubt in anything. Vaccines, dog breeds, milk pasteurization and architecture all have a fault. Whether or not we play to the faults of these things or use them as the creations they are is the point. As to with newer technologies.

The real concerns about GM mozzies came from one entomologist and public fear, not from scientific consensus. Researchers are looking to get those statements revoked. It's so similar in nature to the way vaccines were considered a public health safety measure and then one doctor announced they cause autism. Stuffing that fucking genie back in the bottle is almost impossible. Fear and uncertainty over what people don't fully understand has taken root. It's a disaster.

Shit triggers me so hard. Darn.

:triggered:

--------------------

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

#27297995 - 05/07/21 01:57 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

We’re not talking about the same thing. Stop calling people faggots

Your mosquitos aren’t being controlled the same way as ours. You don’t know what you’re talking about, but yeah, I’m through. U r hopeless

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/07/21 01:59 AM)

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

#27298006 - 05/07/21 02:07 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I called you a faggot troll, it's a phrase, like opt-out fag. (which I also called you)

:bye:

--------------------

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Any cartioonist or artists? [Re: Northerner] * 2
    #27298226 - 05/07/21 08:02 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Would either of you care to draw a cartoon about it?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds