Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJopo
Super RocketMr.MagicMushroom Man
Loc: Canada
Humidifier on a timer?
    #2728723 - 05/25/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hello all who could put in a little help for me!
I am just wondering if any of you know ways of letting a cool mist humidifier to run on a timer, say one hour every 6 hours or so?
Any answers are great towards the giving of my appreciation! :laugh:

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: Jopo]
    #2728764 - 05/25/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleJopo
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: debianlinux]
    #2728800 - 05/25/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, that would have been a real help if i wanted to be a jackass!
But thanks.

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Offlinecsuidae
    #2729431 - 05/25/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm in the minority, but I like to use X10 appliance moduals.  My grow chamber is in a closet and the electrical outlet is in the back, so I don't like to crawl back there and change things.  Instead I put a couple appliance modules in and I power stuff with those.  I have the X10 stuff for the computer, so I can schedual misting and air exchange from my software without having to go to the closet at all.

Include one of those X10 wireless cameras pointing at the temp/humidity guage, and I can monitor and control the thing without ever opening the door :smile:

InvisibleJopo
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: csuidae]
    #2729498 - 05/25/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thats honestly just like Mr. Gadgets grow room, i swear!
I would like to see a picture of this set up if you can post with your cam!

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Offlinecsuidae
    #2729904 - 05/25/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, its not much to look at, particularly at the moment, since I've just got a few jars colonizing.  I have two of those white wire shelves in the top half, trays go on the top, in view of the camera.  The second shelf, about 2 feet below the first, usually holds the humidifier, fan, and various supplies.  The temp/humidity guage is hanging up in the corner by the camera goes, so its in view.  Its one of the wide-angle (135deg) cameras so it gets the whole shelf pretty well.

The X10 controllers are all hidden behind the boxes of peat, vermiculite and spare jars that go on the bottom.  The fan and humidifier are connected to the controllers.  I can turn them on with the RF remote, or from the computer.  Usually the computer switches the humidifer and fan on at the beginning of the hour, then the humidifier off after 15 mins and the fan off after 20 (I get less mist condensing on the walls with the fan helping to evaporate it).

What I'd really like is to find/build is a humidity guage that the computer can read, so it can just run the humidifier when it needs too, but they tend to be expensive.  I thought about taking a screen grab from the cam and OCRing the digital guage display, but that seemed really cheezy :smile:

I'd post a picture from the camera, but I've got it here on my desk at the moment so I can experiment with doing time-lapse (as you can see, there isn't much for it to look at in the closet rght now :smile:).  I want to set it up so I can take a snapshot every 10 minutes and encode the video into a video file.  That would give me 1 minute of video per week of real time.  The picture quality isn't great (x10 cams are cheap, and so are crappy quality as cams go, but it should still be pretty cool.

I've also got one of those ViviCam-3340 digital cameras from WalMart.  Its a 1.3Mpixel digital camera for $40 that has a decent USB web-cam mode.  I think I might buy another of those to use for the shroom-cam since it takes better quality images.  Just have to figure out how to protect it from the humidity and still get good images (saran-wrap maybe).

Anyway, I'm babbling.  I'll post some better pictures of the setup when I've got trays going, it looks much cooler that way.

The whole closet:

This is whats in there now.  Pretty boring.

InvisibleJopo
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: csuidae]
    #2731457 - 05/26/04 08:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thats awsome man, i need to get my self a timer web cam and a humidity/fan timer on my computer, would this also work for the light so it turns on and shuts off 10 hours later?
Also ya get some pics up, i enjoy seeing a set up like yours!

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

OfflineIamthewalrus Happy Birthday!
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #2731516 - 05/26/04 08:57 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm all for simplicity myself...you can get just as good flushes from a storage bin and mister...I think complex setups are over rated unless you dig building shit then it might be for you :smile:

OfflineCalypso
Stranger
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #2731950 - 05/26/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

For small chambers, I've read about an aquarium heater placed in a glass jar full of water. According to humidity reading, the heater can be plugged and unplugged from outside the chamber. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a simple solution to humidity management.
Anybody have experience with aquarium heaters?

Offlinecsuidae
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: Calypso]
    #2734610 - 05/26/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yup, you can run the lights just as easily as anything else.  You can get X10 starter kits for around 30 bucks that include the computer interface, software, a universal remote control (like TV remote, but with X10 capability so you can control the lights too) and a couple of lamp modules to control light bulbs flourescents should be used with appliance modules unless they are dimmable compact flourescents).  Then you can add more modules for about $15 each, less if you wait for some deals.  Smarthome.com and X10.com are usually good places to start.

As for it being complicated, well, I've got piles of X10 stuff lying around just because I like to have all my lights and stuff as easily controlled as my TV, and I'm a programmer, so writing my own stuff to control it from the computer is kind of a no-brainer.  Plus I'm a lazy bastard, and I forget to go check on the grow chamber for days at a time, so it just kind of keeps it under control for me :smile:

When the web cam is going I have it update an active desktop image on my computer every hour, so it just makes it even lower maintainance.

I guess I'm just kind of a gadget freak.  I wouldn't have gone out and bought the stuff just for a setup like this, but since I already had it laying around, what the heck :smile:

I agree regarding the total yeild of a setup like mine as opposed to a storage bin.  The only reason it produces more for me than a storage bin would is because I'd forget to mist or fan a storage bin and kill the little guys off.  Its happened before :frown:

Regarding aquarium heaters, I don't know.  Before I got a humidifer I used perlite in a half-pint jar with some water in it.  Poke a couple holes in the lid and attach air line to each hole.  While the pump runs it humidifies and provides fresh air at the same time.

Male User Gallery

Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: Calypso]
    #2735175 - 05/27/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think a heater is needed..like I said a storage bin and a mister....thats it...if your doing casings thats all you need for great flushes...imo you should concentrate on your substrate its water content the casing layer and evening breaking through teh surface as well as substrate depth to a certain degree

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #2735707 - 05/27/04 07:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well walrus square feet of cropping surface matters, and I have a cabinet setup that holds 12 big casings. 4 shelves about 18" deep, 36" wide, and plenty of height. That yields more than a storage bin. Besides it is completely automated.

If the guy wants to automate it let him do it...... We all know you can just do a neglect tek in a tote. The real question has yet to be answered really. The poster just wants to know about a timer.

You can run your humidifier on an appliance timer. The key is to find one that allows you to get 15 minute intervals, or else you will waterlog your grow area. I'm not sure how big your terrarium is but you will want to use you humidifier on the lowest setting. I run mine for 15 mins every 2 hours or so, but I have a large setup. If you have just a tote then I recommend you read up on magash's post and go with the geo rock stuff. The cool mist are not as great as they are cracked up to be imho........ I tried one a year ago and found it doesnt not produce enough humidity for a larger setup, although it may work fine for yours. Those are suppossed to run much more often some run them 24/7 I think even. Just play with the timer till you get it right. There is a tek on using the cool mist ones in the humidification section.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

InvisibleJopo
Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: phucknut68]
    #2737563 - 05/27/04 04:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Awsome, you guys helped alot. Now to the store where i shal purchase my timer.
Thank you! Jopo.

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Male User Gallery

Re: Humidifier on a timer? [Re: phucknut68]
    #2739001 - 05/27/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I got no problem with someone using a complex setup if they truely want that..like I said before some ppl dig building shit and thats fine..I just wanted to point out that you don't need these setups for great results

I setup a coolmist automated system and I was surprised to find it made no difference at all in growing and the place I should have been focusing my efforts was the details of the substrate etc as I said before

wasted cash that if I can help someone else avoid I'm gonna

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix