Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Cultivating with Canary Seed
    #27238296 - 03/05/21 08:14 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Hey yall. Its a long story but to make it short I live in a place where grain is hard to come by. Just trust me. Ive already had the "you must not be looking very hard" conversation on another thread. The only thing i could find that was affordable and not treated with nasty chemicals was pure canary seed, so naturally i searched for it on here but couldnt find much. Obviously CS is included in a lot of WBS but it seems that people dont use it on its own or at least dont post about it, so ive decided to document my first attempt.

I read on some post that it was "tricky to hydrate" so i left about 4 cups of it in 6 cups of water in my rice cooker. By the time the water boiled off the seed had inflated to 7 cups. I spread it out in a wide bucket and let it dry for about an hour before packing into jars and steam-sterilizing for 2 hours. I noticed the starchy interiors had partially gelatinized and in some cases separated from the husks, which were still stiff and intact. Reminded me of small oats.

I did a g2g transfer with some colonized rye berries and this is the result a week later:

Edited by bakedbeings (03/05/21 08:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: bakedbeings]
    #27238304 - 03/05/21 08:19 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
steam-sterilizing for 2 hours.

no pc? just steamed canary seed?:strokebeard2:

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: mushboy]
    #27238310 - 03/05/21 08:21 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
steam-sterilizing for 2 hours.

no pc? just steamed canary seed?:strokebeard2:

Correct

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27238313 - 03/05/21 08:23 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

:popcorn:
seed looks a little wet but the myc looks decent.

post updates:cheers:

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: mushboy]
    #27238347 - 03/05/21 08:39 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

I will definitely be posting updates! Anyone else growing in Antioquia check in because if this goes well its going to be a game changer for us :smile:

Edited by bakedbeings (03/05/21 08:40 AM)

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

#27238387 - 03/05/21 09:13 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

I agree the mycelium looks really good for steamed grain. Looking forward to seeing more.

--------------------

My no pour Petri TEK - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27252059/page/1

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: Professor X]
    #27238529 - 03/05/21 10:44 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Professor X said:
I agree the mycelium looks really good for steamed grain. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks! Question - what do you mean "really good for steamed grain"? Does mycelium look different on PCed grain?  I have a small PC i use for pf cakes but it doesnt fit my big jars so i do all my grain spawn in a normal pot.

OfflineNootmuskaat
Stranger

#27238535 - 03/05/21 10:50 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
Quote:

Professor X said:

Thanks! Question - what do you mean "really good for steamed grain"? Does mycelium look different on PCed grain?  I have a small PC i use for pf cakes but it doesnt fit my big jars so i do all my grain spawn in a normal pot.

Steaming grains should need a LOT more time than 2 hours. I think it was 8? So for it to be doing good like that is interesting.

Edited by Nootmuskaat (03/05/21 10:51 AM)

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: Nootmuskaat]
    #27238593 - 03/05/21 11:28 AM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Nootmuskaat said:
Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
Quote:

Professor X said:

Steaming grains should need a LOT more time than 2 hours. I think it was 8? So for it to be doing good like that is interesting.

100% this. I'm surprised you don't have a bunch of green jars to be perfectly honest.

If this works out you're on to something a lot better than that stupid uncle Ben's nonsense.

--------------------

My no pour Petri TEK - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27252059/page/1

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #27238642 - 03/05/21 12:01 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Given how hydrated the grain is and considering the small size I am not as suprised as some seem. Guess it's at least pasteurized effectively. :shrug:

Offlinesharkjazz
Stranger
Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: Failboat]
    #27238685 - 03/05/21 12:39 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

I've used canary grass seed before.Works alright, but is very easy to oversoak / pre boil. My first attempt I did this, it came out alright, but consensus on here was there was a bacterial infection. Although doesn't seem to have caused a major issue (so far).

I've another grow on the go and I was much more aware for the pre boil. This time the grain is much drier, to the point  I can shake the jar and each individual seed will move (before was just one big mush.

But I won't be using this anymore as I've found rye here, but even so, I'd go popcorn over this as using canary grass seed in G2G was a nightmare, whereas popcorn is a delight: easy and fast.

But, get yourself a pressure cooker. Or go for brf and vermiculite, which is more forgiving contam wise. If you cannot get BRF, just buy brown rice and put it in a blender.

<edit> ahh you're the guy in Colombia, so you're using alpiste. Replied to your other thread as well :smile:

Edited by sharkjazz (03/05/21 12:46 PM)

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

#27240133 - 03/06/21 09:10 AM (3 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Professor X said:
Quote:

Nootmuskaat said:
Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
Quote:

Professor X said:

100% this. I'm surprised you don't have a bunch of green jars to be perfectly honest.

If this works out you're on to something a lot better than that stupid uncle Ben's nonsense.

Lol this is news to me. Ive done WBR, rye, and oats ALL steamed in a normal pot for two hours, and ive never had a problem. Ironically the only time ive had contams it was on pf cakes I PCed, but im fairly certain it was from the syringe.

Maybe the reason its gone well so far is that i prep the grain in a rice cooker which cooks all the water off, then i open it and move it around while its still hot to release the steam, then i spoon it right into the jars and close them. I wait about a day to let any endospores trigger (thats how that works...right?), and then they get boiled for 2 hours.

I know i wrote above that i dried the canary seed in a bucket for an hour. That was a deviation from my normal routine as they looked wetter than usual. But so far so good. I just shook them at 30%/50% so we'll see if they bounce back or not.

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

#27247786 - 03/11/21 07:59 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Update: two jars recovered after the shake, one did not. Prepping more CS right now to do  a g2g and then spawn to bulk. I will try to get the seed into the jars more efficiently and then double the steaming time to see if i can nix the contam.

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

#27247790 - 03/11/21 08:01 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#27247804 - 03/11/21 08:15 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Lookin good. I tried using alpiste for a bit but never got anything other than mold once it went to bulk. They might not have been properly hydrated. Another option down here is Millet, which goes by "mijo." You can find it in pet shops as bird food and it is also cheap.

The grain struggle in Colombia is real though. It took me forever to find anything that worked. Good luck with the grow parce

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27247815 - 03/11/21 08:22 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

I tried canary seed once years ago, dig a lil digging to find info about it and found nothing. Botched the prep, grains came out of the PC as a single unshakable block. I simply thought it was a grain not suitable as grain spawn and just moved on, never gave it a second chance.

This is interesting, just here to see what kinda results you get. I'm amazed some of your jars even look decent after only 2 hours of steaming in a pot.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: Josex]
    #27247817 - 03/11/21 08:24 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Actually, now that Gast mentioned it, the stuff I used was alpiste lol
I'm spanish and I thought alpiste translated as canary seed in English, didn't know it's written exactly the same. If it's not the same stuff it looks very similar anyway.

Edit: lol you're from Colombia Gast, I understand now.

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

#27247854 - 03/11/21 08:58 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing the tubs.

--------------------

Offlinesharkjazz
Stranger
Re: Cultivating with Canary Seed [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #27247939 - 03/11/21 09:57 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
Lookin good. I tried using alpiste for a bit but never got anything other than mold once it went to bulk. They might not have been properly hydrated. Another option down here is Millet, which goes by "mijo." You can find it in pet shops as bird food and it is also cheap.

The grain struggle in Colombia is real though. It took me forever to find anything that worked. Good luck with the grow parce

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.co/MCO-502140591-bayas-de-centeno-caja-de-10-libras-_JM#position=9&type=item&tracking_id=8e35adec-e691-477e-bc96-5a9904f0ae24

food grade rye in Colombia (incase you need a supplier)

Offlinesharkjazz
Stranger
    #27247943 - 03/11/21 09:59 AM (3 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
I tried canary seed once years ago, dig a lil digging to find info about it and found nothing. Botched the prep, grains came out of the PC as a single unshakable block. I simply thought it was a grain not suitable as grain spawn and just moved on, never gave it a second chance.

This is interesting, just here to see what kinda results you get. I'm amazed some of your jars even look decent after only 2 hours of steaming in a pot.

It is possible to use, to get those grain hydrated and keep them dry enough you can shake each grain in the jar.

12 hour soak
Bring a pan to boil, put in for 10 minutes STRICT.
Take off heat and put into cold water to cool
Lay out on a towel and aim fan at them for 20 minutes

Not had a contam issue with alpiste yet, although moved onto rye once I found a source. But they definitely can be used

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck