Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Morel season 2004 picture collection...
    #2713566 - 05/22/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I thought I would recap and post some pictures of this year?s morel season here, since it is almost over. Some of these pictures I have already posted, some I have not. I figured I would allow another look for those that missed them, and perhaps get some motivated to go out...

First Morels of the season:

(<- My favorite picture of all I have)

Morels directly in the middle of a trail:

Probably the largest of the black Morel specimens:

And again, the differences between the Thimble Cap (Verpa Bohemica) and the Half-Free Morel (Morchella Semilibera) I also found Verpa Conica on another hunt in which I didn't have my camera, but it simply has a non-wrinkled, smooth cap loosely attached to stem, mycelium filled.

Here is a more mature specimen of the look alike Verpa Bohemica:
The best identification feature is if the cap pops off and is hollow like a thimble then it is not a morel; the half-free morel cap is attached firmly to the stem.

Here are two specimens of the commonly eaten "Beefsteak false morel" or the Conifer False Morel (Gyromitra esculenta). They should NOT be eaten as the toxins accumulate. Apparently you could possibly die just from breathing the fumes from cooking mushrooms one day. I wouldn't even touch them.

Here is a nice collection of 40+ Half free morels. It was a great year for them:

Here is the first yellow I found of the year:

And of course, my biggest yellow find of the year. Walking through the woods I found three solitary yellow morels. Right when it started to get dark I stumbled upon the base of a single tree that had 23 Morels growing in it's vicinity. I couldn't search for more because I couldn't see! I marked that spot and returned the next day :grin:
(Quarter for size comparison)

All but three of the above mushrooms where found at the base of a single tree. The largest specimens are below; the biggest two weighed 40 grams.

Picture of one of my clones (black morel) on MYA with charcoal added. Transferring the mycelium to P2 is always a delight. The smell of fresh morels hits me like a brick, beautiful smell:

Here is what I have collected and dried for my future meals:
29 grams Half-free
40 grams yellow morel
90 grams black morels

That is not including what I have stored fresh, and what I have already eaten. :grin:

And here is something to get the salivary gland going...

Season is pretty much coming to a close (in the Huron National Forest, where I hunt), with the large yellow morels reaching full maturity. There are still specimens of black and half-free morels that have survived the bugs, with some "late bloomers". Thought I would share my last pictures of the year. I will still go out till they are no longer good...

Post em if you got em! :grin: :thumbup:
And happy hunting!  :thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Morel season 2004 picture collection... [Re: ATWAR]
    #2713933 - 05/22/04 02:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Holy shit man. You've got some talent to find morels that small... The smallest morel I've ever found had about a .5 inch "cap". The pictures with the dime is just insane. Good work! Have fun eating those guys :smile:

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Morel season 2004 picture collection... [Re: Gumby]
    #2713951 - 05/22/04 02:32 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

very nice

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #2714196 - 05/22/04 08:47 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

very nice man :shocked:

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Morel season 2004 picture collection... [Re: Gumby]
    #2715084 - 05/22/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GumbyDude said:
You've got some talent to find morels that small... 

It was more luck than anything. I knew morels were growing in that area (they always do), so it was a matter of real hard searching and moving away leaves. I got lucky to find that little morel pin.

But it has to be my favorite find ever  :heartpump:

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
    #2780626 - 06/10/04 08:06 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Outstanding pile. :ooo:
makes me hungry just thinking about it.

As Gymby mentioned you must have keen vision - The morels in the first few shots were absolutely miniscule.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder