Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEddie Walker
enthusiast

Re: glove box assembly
    #271029 - 03/13/01 04:10 PM (23 years, 20 days ago)

This thread about plexiglass really makes me want to make a glove box.

The Hawks Eye-Fungi Perfecti

--------------------
Mycology Supplies[blue]Fungi Perfecti[/blue]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMcMan
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USA
Post deleted by users_request
    #271522 - 03/14/01 07:33 AM (23 years, 19 days ago)

InvisibleJustAnotherTraveler
Sporalized

Re: glove box assembly [Re: McMan]
    #271775 - 03/14/01 03:43 PM (23 years, 19 days ago)

McMan,

Not only does it make things *much* easier, but it was a fun project :)

Thanks for the compliment!

Peace,
jat

F.S.F.A.

--------------------
Well he loved and laughed and floated past

the echoes of a velvet mind, that whispered fairy tales untold

that kissed his mind, carressed his soul-

OfflineKast
old hand
Re: glove box assembly [Re: JustAnotherTraveler]
    #271944 - 03/14/01 07:40 PM (23 years, 19 days ago)

Have you ever poured agar inside of your glove-box environment? Do you have it "coupled with a filter"? I've been thinking of constructing something similar and was curious as to its effectiveness.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: glove box assembly [Re: Kast]
    #272024 - 03/14/01 09:22 PM (23 years, 19 days ago)

One gorilla rack, some plexiglass, the legs off a rainsuit, and some gloves.

JAT that's a nice box :)

Drink, Fight, Fuck
http://www.getnet.net/~wingnutx/

Sporalized

#272025 - 03/14/01 09:23 PM (23 years, 19 days ago)

Kast,

I have not tried agar yet. I still have to purchase some. Pretty soon too, have pending Reishi projects that could use it in about 1 1/2 weeks. Morel projects in a few months!

Have done direct spore transfer to grain with no visible problems yet. The box is only 2 weeks old, so there is alot of playing to do yet.

I plan to set agar open for 15 minutes in the box, followed by a 3 or 4 day incubation period to test for contam rates as soon as I can.

The filter is the big box to the right. It contains the highest grade furnace filter I could find at Menards with a $10 prefilter stuck in front of it. The arm hole on the filter box is so that Lysol or Clorox disinfectant can be sprayed into the prefilter just prior to use. There is a filter prior to the fan that gets a good spraying too.

Peace,
jat

F.S.F.A.

--------------------

Sporalized

Re: glove box assembly [Re: wingnutx]
    #272032 - 03/14/01 09:32 PM (23 years, 19 days ago)

wingnutx,

I used your idea for access holes! I found out the hard way that Ziplock brand round containers work the best. Much easier to get the lids off! This means that the bonding of the container ring holds much better as their is less stress at the bonding point when removing the ring.

Thanks for the compliments!! Everybody!

Peace,
jat

F.S.F.A.

--------------------

OfflineKast
old hand
    #272115 - 03/15/01 12:09 AM (23 years, 19 days ago)

Wow, that's pretty damn cool. What kind of fan are you using, a furnace blower? What size? It seems like you've got your bases covered. Definitely let me know how that agar plate does. I love building stuff, but I'm debating between a good glove-box or an all-out flowhood. The main difference is the price; But I dont want to go blowing money on a flow-hood if a glove-box is just effective.

Good luck with those Morels, you'll need it! How do you plan on culturing them? heh. If it works well, lemme know :)

Sporalized

#272708 - 03/15/01 08:56 PM (23 years, 18 days ago)

Kast,

You won't need as large of blower for a glove box as you would for a flow hood. The intake on this fan is about 4" or so. I got this some time back and is a Torrin brand fan. From what I understand, Torrin no longer exists (they were bought out) and I could not look up the model number to find out the specs. Although, it did come from commercial computer equipment that had a presurized cooling system so it may be a house marked part number.

I would make a guess that in free air the output is no more than 325 to 400 CFM. The model number is something like SC400. The RPM is something like 3600 or so. Seems to develop reasonable pressure for it's size. I have to limit the intake with a piece of paper so there is not too much air flow in the glove box.

Note that squirrl cage fans: If you can adjust the blower wheel, move it as close to the venturi ring as you can get it (With the motor off!!). When you fire it up, you don't want the blower wheel rubbing against the venturi ring. You can increase the maximum obtainable pressure that the fan can develop this way.

With the Morel project, I plan to try to get some spores as soon as Mother Nature provides. I have followed the thread some in the Advanced cultivation on morels, read at Mushroom People and Fungi Perfecti. I plan to try and get some spawn going that I can innoculate an outdoor patch. I plan to add compost to the ground and some burnt wood chips too. Don't know all of the in's and outs to all of this yet, but it sounds like it will be fun to try!

Peace,
jat

F.S.F.A.

P.S. The cardboard that I used was double corregated from refridgerator boxes. The windows are lucite hinged with duct tape, surrounded with wood strips, and sealed with Frost King camper foam seal (1" wide x 1/8" thick). 3 wood strips on the inside to keep the windowed face from bowing.

All of the cardboard was glued together with a high temp glue gun and wood (high temp) glue sticks. Tacked together, filled on the inside, went over the seams on the outside too. Quite strong.

You don't need to cut all of the way through the cardboard to make a "bend". This also helps with strength.

I have about $75 in the entire box and filter including light, not including the blower.

Here is a closer shot of the filter box and ductwork.

Edited by JustAnotherTraveler on 03/15/01 11:11 PM.

--------------------

OfflineKast
old hand
    #272844 - 03/16/01 12:06 AM (23 years, 18 days ago)

That is a slick piece of work, JAT! I'm truly impressed, and in the future I just might model my glove-box after yours. Thanks for all the info!

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Loc: the Netherlands
    #272866 - 03/16/01 12:36 AM (23 years, 18 days ago)

I have a flowhood where I've put agar plates under, open for 1 hour, not contaminated!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rolling, smoking!!!

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Europe

OfflineShroomzilla
enthusiast

Loc: Texas, home of the longho...
Re: glove box assembly [Re: paddoholland]
    #272886 - 03/16/01 01:43 AM (23 years, 18 days ago)

You can find the "computer" size fans that will run off 120v ac and not need a transformer. All you need is 20-30 cfm, just enough to get positive pressure. 300cfm is a LOT of air. My pet llama's brother has an indoor grow room with a 1000w light and uses a single 450 cfm fan to keep it cool, its usually only on half speed but makes some serious wind.

Look here:

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=18&category=175

They have several nice 20-40 cfm fans [120v] starting at $6-$8, plus tons of other kit you might need. Much cool junk to blow some cash on.

Invisibleslither
addict
Re: glove box assembly [Re: paddoholland]
    #272888 - 03/16/01 01:49 AM (23 years, 18 days ago)

that science & surplus site is cool as hell, I think I got one of everything, not quite, but it was cool. Paddonholland, did you build your flowhood or buy it?

Sporalized

Re: glove box assembly [Re: Shroomzilla]
    #273053 - 03/16/01 11:21 AM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Shroomzilla,

120v computer fans have their place, but they do not provide much air pressure.

In this filter assembly, a blower is desireable due to the back pressure created by the filter. The back pressure reduces the cfm considerably even from the blower.

I did oversize the filters to minimize the backpressure. They are 20"x24", glued together prior to fitting the box around them. The only downside to this is that the filter box and filters will have to be replaced, *some day*. The filters are permenantly mounted into the filter box with hot melt glue (10 to 12 of the 4" glue sticks) to make sure there is no air getting around them.

The output duct (shown between the filter box and the glove box) has an internal dimension of 12" x 4.5" to keep the air velocity down a bit. Don't want things blowing around within the glove box...

A regular computer style fan would not be able to give enough air flow through the filter to be of much use. However, Tarzan, Patriot, or Carnival fans could *possibly* be used, as these would be able to provide some pressure. Although, I have never experimented with them in this manner.

One thing that I was thinking that might work for a fan is one of the dual blower wheel style blowers that are commonly used in over the range microwaves. Although, they are not capable of developing as much pressure as a higher quality fan. The price might be right if you can find where old ones are dumped. Keep in mind that alot of these will be greasy from use and will have to be cleaned prior to use. Jenn-Aire drop in ranges have a larger blower, but these will be really greasy...

Sciplus has some cool shit, and it might be worth while to keep an eye out for fans or possibly speed controls, etc. there. I didn't see too much over there that would work for my uses when I looked a couple of weeks ago. But then, maybe I am too picky.

Peace,
jat

F.S.F.A.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale