Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time)
    #27064383 - 11/30/20 11:14 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a complete newb at this.

The story so far is that I bought some King-Oyster mushrooms at the market in the autumn, made my own potato-dextrose agar and to my complete and utter shock actually managed to clone them and ended up with several jars full of grain spawn. I actually left them a bit too long, they looked like jars full of cotton wool by the time I got around to this step but anyway...

I got a bunch of straw from the horse stable down the road, cut it up with scissors, mixed it with a bunch (I don't know how much I didn't measure it) of old, used coffee-grounds and vermiculite, boiled and pressure-cooked it for an hour (two different batches), let it soak overnight, then this morning I mixed the spawn into it.

The substrate looks pretty damn wet, but I actually squeezed it as I took it out of the cookers until there was no more water dripping out. Still ... too much moisture? I dunno.

I'm using the "micropore fruiting chamber tek" detailed on the shroomery main cultivation page. the tubs look pretty crappy ... I repurposed an old glove-box and some other old plastic tubs I had lying around (came with bird feed and stuff in them), but they're not there to win beauty constests. They're clean and that's what counts most I guess.

How does it look?

Any tips? Did I screw anything up?

(the old glove-box holes you can see in the last one are obviously plugged up).

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (11/30/20 11:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #27064557 - 11/30/20 12:47 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Wellllp congrats on your first succesful cloning! That tote needs some serious air exchange. You could do some 1" holes stuffed with polyfil, it will help your colonization. The wetness wont be a problem as long as there is drainage, just avoid pooling. Whether or not this is going to work for you is primarily dependent on your spawn to substrate ratio, how much spawn did you mix in to how much straw? In the future Id say switch to HWFP/ Soy Hulls and grow bags.. much easier in my opinion. Also are you planning on fruiting in that same tote? Bc they will be starving for air.

edit: nvm I see the micropore tape now.. it might be enough for colonization but fruiting might present a challenge in thag chamber. Good luck!

--------------------
Be patient and keep it simple.

Edited by sendmehummus (11/30/20 12:49 PM)

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: sendmehummus]
    #27064721 - 11/30/20 02:05 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sendmehummus said:
Wellllp congrats on your first succesful cloning! That tote needs some serious air exchange. You could do some 1" holes stuffed with polyfil, it will help your colonization. The wetness wont be a problem as long as there is drainage, just avoid pooling. Whether or not this is going to work for you is primarily dependent on your spawn to substrate ratio, how much spawn did you mix in to how much straw? In the future Id say switch to HWFP/ Soy Hulls and grow bags.. much easier in my opinion. Also are you planning on fruiting in that same tote? Bc they will be starving for air.

edit: nvm I see the micropore tape now.. it might be enough for colonization but fruiting might present a challenge in thag chamber. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply and your help!

There's a good bit of spawn in there. Two quart jars in the big one and a a smaller (not quite quart) jar in each of the small ones.

Yes, there's quite a few holes in them. They a 1.5 inch holes, the bottom ones covered with with a layer of 3M micropore tape on the outside and inside and the top holes with only one layer on the outside.

I could go back and drill small ~3-5mm holes around the top, just under the lid that would go without any tape. That was my original plan, I just forgot.

Also I have no idea what I'm doing.

By the way, "as long as there is drainage" ... there's no drainage. How do I make drainage in a plastic tub? :smile:

Cheers!

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

#27064790 - 11/30/20 02:39 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

You can just drill a few 1/8" holes in the bottom, but it looks like you are using liners so that wouldnt be much help unless you also drill through the liner. Just add drainage for next time if you choose to continue to use this method. Coffee always spelled disaster for me when I first started, green-blue molds jump on coffee fast. Id imagine you had to transfer your straw to the tubs after pressure cooking it, which is a risky additional step. All I can say is hope for the best and learn as you go, you will hone your methods and techniques with failures. 👍

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27065243 - 11/30/20 07:07 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sendmehummus said:
You can just drill a few 1/8" holes in the bottom, but it looks like you are using liners so that wouldnt be much help unless you also drill through the liner. Just add drainage for next time if you choose to continue to use this method. Coffee always spelled disaster for me when I first started, green-blue molds jump on coffee fast. Id imagine you had to transfer your straw to the tubs after pressure cooking it, which is a risky additional step. All I can say is hope for the best and learn as you go, you will hone your methods and techniques with failures. 👍

Quote:

sendmehummus said:

I'm sure I will! That's just black paint on the bottoms.

Did you sterilize the coffee?

I used another mixture for some other mushrooms and I'm amazed it didn't grow any mould. It was coffee grounds, horse shit, soil and vermiculite. I was being as careful as I could preparing the "main grow" and just chucked the "left overs out". In the end, I noticed I had a fair bit of "left overs", so I pulled the randoms bits out of the "bin", threw it in a plant pot on the side of my work desk, mixed it up with my bare hands, no precautions at all ... thought what the hell, it will probably be completely contaminated but I guess a hail mary is better than wasting it ... and it still grew mushrooms!

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (11/30/20 07:13 PM)

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

#27065403 - 11/30/20 08:34 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah sometimes just winging it and doing willy nilly stuff can be fun. Thats the fun of just being a hobbyist home grower. Im all for experimentation, use what ya got and hope for the best! If it doesnt work, try something else :smile:

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27065703 - 12/01/20 01:57 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sendmehummus said:
Yeah sometimes just winging it and doing willy nilly stuff can be fun. Thats the fun of just being a hobbyist home grower. Im all for experimentation, use what ya got and hope for the best! If it doesnt work, try something else :smile:

It was also a bit of an experiment in, "just how sterile do I have to be?", considering that the substrate was thoroughly sterilized and that the mycellium growth was very strong. Turns out the answer--at least in that one instance--was, "not so much". :laugh:

I'm getting a bit lazier with my sterile technique as I go. I have been sterile with my work, but not fastidiously so, and haven't had a single thing contaminate yet, not even the agar.

I did get contams and some agar dishes when I tried to clone wild mushrooms out of the forst though. Although that was so predictable I don't really count it.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (12/01/20 01:57 AM)

Invisiblethe gooddr6

#27065777 - 12/01/20 05:02 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

oO_wombat_Oo said:

I bought some King-Oyster mushrooms at the market in the autumn, made my own potato-dextrose agar and to my complete and utter shock actually managed to clone them and ended up with several jars full of grain spawn.
How does it look?

Do you know if the mushrooms were wild or are they packaged?

--------------------
-----------
The Good Dr
-----------

Trade List

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: the gooddr6]
    #27065841 - 12/01/20 06:46 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the gooddr6 said:
Quote:

oO_wombat_Oo said:

I bought some King-Oyster mushrooms at the market in the autumn, made my own potato-dextrose agar and to my complete and utter shock actually managed to clone them and ended up with several jars full of grain spawn.
How does it look?

Do you know if the mushrooms were wild or are they packaged?

I don't know. I'm assuming they were farmed. They didn't look wild, way too conformed in size and shape, very clean, etc. They weren't packaged though.

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

#27065912 - 12/01/20 07:59 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

And that mindset for sterilization will absolutely work, until it doesnt. The problem is that once you invite a contamination into your work space it is now a permanent resident.. so good sterilization practice is just something you should always consider, especially when using supplements. Anyway, good luck on your adventure going forward!

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27073415 - 12/05/20 11:51 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Well ... the mycellium seems to be growing well throughout the substrate. I've had them in the attic the past week or so since I made the OP and they look good.

Now I have some more questions:

1 - When should I try to get them to start pinning? The mycellium is growing through the substrate, but it's not completely covering it like snow or anything. Is that too early?

2 - How? lol. Is it just exposing them to light that will do the job or do I need to do something else?

Tips appreciated.

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

#27073866 - 12/05/20 05:00 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

No, light isnt going to make much of a difference. 1) Wait until you are fully colonized, knowing this is kimda something that comes with experience but at least wait until your sub is fully colonized on the outside, then I like to give another week to two weeks for the inside. 2) When you want to initiate pinning just move your bags (or whatever you're growing in) to a colder area of the house 50*-60*.

There is alot of overthinking when ppl first start out. Without even moving your bags to a colder area they will still pin when they are ready. With other oysters you have to determine when a bag is fully colonized before you make your slits, with Kings you just leave the bag closed until you see pins forming. It sometimes requires patience.. but its easy to make mistakes when you dont have patience with mushrooms. When you see pins forming inside the bag, open it up and either fold the sides down or cut the bag to about 2 inches above your sub.

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27081498 - 12/10/20 03:10 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sendmehummus said:
No, light isnt going to make much of a difference. 1) Wait until you are fully colonized, knowing this is kimda something that comes with experience but at least wait until your sub is fully colonized on the outside, then I like to give another week to two weeks for the inside. 2) When you want to initiate pinning just move your bags (or whatever you're growing in) to a colder area of the house 50*-60*.

There is alot of overthinking when ppl first start out. Without even moving your bags to a colder area they will still pin when they are ready. With other oysters you have to determine when a bag is fully colonized before you make your slits, with Kings you just leave the bag closed until you see pins forming. It sometimes requires patience.. but its easy to make mistakes when you dont have patience with mushrooms. When you see pins forming inside the bag, open it up and either fold the sides down or cut the bag to about 2 inches above your sub.

Thanks for the tips!

I've put them in the basement for now. They do seem to be quite colonized...

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27082373 - 12/10/20 02:48 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

really don't know what I am looking at here but it looks like only the top is colonizing. Are you sure your moisture content was right in your sub? Show a pic from the side.

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27082457 - 12/10/20 03:30 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Looks good to me. I see some brown tape and black liners that may look like uncolonized?? but to me it looks fully colonized.

Im surprised it worked since you used sterile substrate and non-sterile techniques.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: deadmandave]
    #27082790 - 12/10/20 06:09 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I saw the trash bag as soon as I posted. I would fruit it now.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: deadmandave]
    #27090372 - 12/15/20 11:36 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deadmandave said:
Looks good to me. I see some brown tape and black liners that may look like uncolonized?? but to me it looks fully colonized.

Im surprised it worked since you used sterile substrate and non-sterile techniques.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression here ... I did use sterile techniques! I was quite careful. What I meant before is that I wasn't ridiculously over the top with it like I was when I started (I'm still a beginner but you know what I mean).

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: King Oysters ... how does this look? (first time) [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27090380 - 12/15/20 11:39 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
Yea I saw the trash bag as soon as I posted. I would fruit it now.

Just the bottom is painted black.

... I'm glad it looks good but the question is how? I just can't seem to make them pin. Same with my other grow which are cubes. I have had this problem before too ... how on earth do you force the mushrooms to start pinning!?

I haven't done much with the oysters, just put the boxes in the basement where it's much cooler for a few days. Nothing at all has happened.

The cubes, I've cold shocked, scratched with a fork, fanned every day, misted, cold shocked again, ramped up humidity, ramped down humidity ... nothing. After a while the mycelium just goes yellow.

Anyway, I'm more interested in the Oysters for now, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

#27090470 - 12/15/20 12:50 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

The prob is your supplement. Coffee sucks butt. I had the exact same issue when I forst tried growing Kings on fuel pellets and coffee. The block colonized fine but then it just sat in stasis forever. It finally pinned vut I got like 2 fruits. Since I switched to soy hulls it has made a huge difference. When I know a bag is fully colonized I cut a small slit near the top of the bag. This drops CO2 levels and within days I have tons of King clusters.

This is a block when I used coffee as a supp. Now I cant tell you why coffee sucls, I can only speak from results. Using the EXACT same process for pinning and fruiting I have had drastic results from switching to soy hulls.

And this is one of my masters mix blocks today. With soy hulls you dont have to try very hard to get pins bc the mushroom block is always ready to explode with them. Its like they literally cannot be contained. That goes for any oysters variety Ive grown.

Ill never go back to anything else honestly. Soy hulls just make mushroom growing effortless.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27090474 - 12/15/20 12:51 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I don't see any holes in the tote for fresh air exchange. I use to put 6 holes in my totes and stuff them with polyfill. You want two holes on each long side at sub level and 1 hole on each short side as high as you can get them and still get the lid on. I actually used to cut some short pieces of 2" PVC for the holes and glue them in makes adjusting the poly easy.

fresh air exchange is a major pinning trigger.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder