Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag?!
    #2684659 - 05/15/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Please help me.  I'm such a newb.  I have some Ecuadorians growing in some small grain-based myco-bags and they're doing great.  I, however, would like to take advantage of Mycobag's buy 2 get 1 free sale...SO...I was thinking of getting The Allen strain from TLG and injecting it into a large mycobag.  Which should I use corn or straw?  Any other strain you know would do great on straw/corn? :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :laugh: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag?! [Re: Elfmachine]
    #2684696 - 05/15/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

oh and plz no talk about making jars and stuff, i have no PC and can't really afford one...nore is it convenient for me to make my own substrate now... Just stick to the question plz. Any suggestions of what starins would do well w/ corn or grain would be nice, but I would really like to stick w/ the Allen strain. Would Allen colonize corn or straw? How might the results be?

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
    #2684833 - 05/16/04 12:00 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yes...me again, replying to my own posts. Hey scratch the corn thing...turns out to be a primary spawn bag. How would Allen strain do in straw?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2685077 - 05/16/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think you would have problems with the spores germinating on the straw. Straw based mycobags are usually used for a liquid culture inoculation. But if they do germinate then they will grow just fine on straw. Just like any other Ps. Cubensis strain...

If it were me, I would just get the corn bag and fruit it. Or perhaps you could look into producing a liquid inoculant. Search for honey tek, or karo tek if you need a method...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag?! [Re: ATWAR]
    #2685173 - 05/16/04 01:31 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hm, rather not deal w/ liquid culture. Think I can fruit it in the corn bags fine? They're just corn...no verm. or anything. Supposed to be for spawning not fruiting but i figgure it'll be fine anyways.
I could just get the small bags of grain. Thing is buy 2 get 1 free.
4 small (1lb ea.) + 2 free = 6 lbs. substrate
2 large bags (4lbs ea.) + 1 free = 12 lbs. substrate
I know the small rain bags would work but I would really like to use the big ones to get a good yeild...I'm splitting it w/ a friend.
Also, I plan on getting 4 Allen strain syringes. If i get the 3 large bags, I'd prolly put a full syringe in each and hold on to one.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2685314 - 05/16/04 01:58 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Elfmachine said:
Think I can fruit it in the corn bags fine?

Yes.

I have fruited popcorn from cakes and casings. While the yield was marginal, it did work. I would go for the bigger ones.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag [Re: Elfmachine]
    #2685408 - 05/16/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Corn works... but it is the BRF of grains... of there is any other grain option in the large bags, I would recomend it... unless you plan to spawn to straw/poo.

You would be as happy with 3 or 6 small grain bags... perhaps happier.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag [Re: Rose]
    #2686519 - 05/16/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hm...yes, OK. Thank you guys very much. You DID help. I think I'll go w/ the 6 small and attempt a bulk substrate w/ like...2 of the bags on some straw. I've never done a bulk, but I have a friend that has, he can help me. Wish me luck!

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#2686850 - 05/16/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Is there any particular reason you want the allen strain so much? I'm sure the potential is there but it is a relatively recently domesticated strain and your results could go either way.

I have had terrible luck with that strain compared to many others, but I haven't tried it on straw. I ended up with small solitary fruits off cased pf cakes.

Honestly, it's the last strain I would grow again, but i guess an inferior substrain may have taken over causing such poor performance. If you do go with that, I really hope it works out for you, but I was just giving you my experience as fair warning about growing a relatively "wild" strain.

--------------------

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: HELP PLZ! Allen strain(or something else)+large Mycobag [Re: mockeylock]
    #2689228 - 05/16/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

god damn. Fine fine, I'll look into something else. I prolly won't order the spores untill next week. I'll see what else I'd like to grow. I was thinking maybe B+ but I've read it can be weak. Also thinking maybe ausie. Hell maybe I'll get a 4-pack of...whatever from TLG. See what 4-packs look good. Thanks for givin' me that warning about Allen, I haven't been able to find much info on it. When I have $ to spair, I'd like to experiment w/ it, though.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2689752 - 05/17/04 12:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Don't worry too much about what strain you use. Cubes tend to give pretty good pinsets... and if you want a GREAT pinset you most likely need to use agar.

That said, the Allen Strain is pretty close to wild, so you may get inconsistant pinsets if you use spores. Multispore is always a turkeyshoot... sometimes you just get shroomless myc... but this is rare.

My favorite cubes are ALWAYS the ones I want to grow most... so if you are interested in The Allen strain, go for it.

There are many other John Allen (mjshroomer) spores out there... Orissa India, Koh Samui, Vietnamese, Pink Buffalo... to name a few. Only the Allen Strain has his name... but many come from him. Most of the mj spores are named after where they were found.

www.thehawkseye.com or www.ralphstersspores.com probably have the best selection of mj's spores. Check out The Hawks Eye... at least to read what they say about each cube strain.

I think you'll find their information interesting. Although, Hawke hasn't been shipping his orders very quickly lately... you probably should still order from TLG if you planned to. No harm in getting more info from another vendor though.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
    #2692724 - 05/17/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, I've been reading a lot...and I think I'm going w/ Cambodian. I already have some Ecuadorians growin'...that's all I've have experience w/ really. I'll get around to Allen but not yet. I read on a google groups thread that Allen does real well w/ a mixed substrate of grain and straw. I'd have to make that myself...so I'll wait 'till I have a good American PC and I make my own bags.

Edited by Elfmachine (05/17/04 06:40 PM)

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2693225 - 05/17/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

cambos are good GT is good my favorite Taz at the moment though big ol fruits the most consistently for some people in this neck of the woods but cambos are no slouch either

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2693631 - 05/17/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Cambos are fast colonizers.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinemeat_master_king
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Tacoma, Washington
    #25278416 - 06/19/18 08:42 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Rose, I know that the spores of John Allen's various trains sold by the Hawkseye, were not wild.  He developed numerous strains over the years through work in the lab in Southeast Asia at a University there. 

While the original spores of his strains were obtained by very healthy sturdy specimens, some strains took several months to develop in dozens of petri plates, as well as from obtaining culture from caps of pure mycelia.

He also hemp in the production of various high quality liquid fertilizers from pasteurized water buffalo manure and pasteurized rice paddie straw.  And Allen use to make only two prints per mushroom from the wild specimens.  Caps were collected and immediately placed into petri plates in the field.  Then transported to Bangkok where the mushrooms were studied and grown.

The Allen strain that Shroomery members love and grow, a fast colonizer was not created by Mr. Allen. 

A shroomery member of high standing in the various cultivation forums created that fast colonizing strain from a print obtained by MR. Allen somewhere in Southeast Asia.  It was created by Shroomery member Roadkill who was a friend of Mr. Allen who named it the Allen strain.  All of the strains were exception. I believe he also produced several strains of cubensis that had wavy caps and a few strains that produce 5 inch in diameter caps and stems over 18-23 inches in length. I will attempt to post photograph of a strain of Psilocybe pegleriana from Asia that I found at a mushroom site Mycotopia several years ago.  Not sure how potent this species is.But that is a lot of mushrooms in the cake.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder