Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
Re: contamination sucks a big one
    #26844 - 08/03/00 12:42 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

#1 - Use a pressure cooker at 15psi for 35 minutes to sterilize them.

#2 - Use electrical tape to cover the holes, that way you can stick the syringe needle directly through the tape and then retape the hole you made quickly to avoid exposure as much as possible.

#3 - Make sure and put your jar lids on with the rubber side up and DON'T TIGHTEN them until they're cool after sterilization. Otherwise negative pressure may build up inside the jar and when you inoculate them contaminated air might get sucked in.

I don't have any pictures of healthy growth for you, but you'll know it when you see it. It won't look like cobwebs and it won't look like SOLID puffy-cloud type stuff that turns bluish-green right away. It will just be right in the middle of those two extremes, hopefully with viens running through it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: contamination sucks a big one [Re: funkyballoon]
    #26846 - 08/03/00 01:02 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

I used to get contamination, untill I made sure I did everything as steril as possible. What I mean is do everything you can to help prevent it. Sterilize your hands with peroxide before even starting, turn off fans, spray air with lysol, any little things like that really help. Also I started useing about 1cc of inoculant per hole, speeds up colonization big time and helps prevent contamination.

Anonymous

Re: contamination sucks a big one [Re: funkyballoon]
    #26847 - 08/03/00 01:24 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

mumbley, i've got a couple high-res shots of contaminations that i think you'd be interested in. however, since they're high-res, it'll take me a little while to upload them to my loft account. check the boards in the next 12 hours and i'll make a post with the pics.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures