Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Loc: Flag
going to buy a laptop - music production
    #2649310 - 05/07/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i tried posting in the s/t forum, but havent gotten too many responses.

basically, im going to get a laptop solely for music production. so the question comes up - mac or pc?

at my school, it is widely accepted that macs are much more reliable/stable than pcs when it comes to digital media production. however, i could get an absolutely kick ass pc laptop for around $2400, and i could get a powerbook G4 (with all the shit i want in it) for around $3200. not a small gap in prices.

i just want to make sure that that extra $800 or $900 is giong to be well-spent.

the mac im thinking about getting:

? 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 64MB Graphics Memory
? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
? AirPort Extreme Card
? Professional 15 Backpack Case by Brenthaven
? Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4
? 15.2-inch TFT Display
Subtotal $3,195.00

thanks in advance for any help/advice.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinellamaherder
brother

Re: going to buy a laptop - music production [Re: Vats of Blood]
    #2650207 - 05/07/04 02:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

im lookin at the same exact package dude and for the same purpose but im considerign a 12-inch simply for the ease in its compactness

--------------------
the post above is completely fictional.

OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: going to buy a laptop - music production [Re: llamaherder]
    #2650366 - 05/07/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah thats a pretty small screen though, esp when most of the screen is being taken up by multiple programs being run simultaneously

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2650370 - 05/07/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

well if it means anything to you i love my mac and have owned two of them in the last 5 years: never had a single problem with either machine.  as far as the new powerbooks are concerned, i have heard that apple finally worked out the problems with the last few generations (such as white faded spots on the screen, improper closing of the case and some other issues i can't recall right now).  supposedly the new generation is  very kick ass.

when you buy a mac, you are definitely getting what you pay for.  the cost may be a bit more, but the quality is so much better, plus the user experience and the interface of the OS makes using the computer so much more fun....in my nerdy opinion at least :smile:

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: going to buy a laptop - music production [Re: TheDude]
    #2650478 - 05/07/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

awesome thanks for the post

what do you mainly use your mac for? any intense programs, or just browsing, word processing, etc?

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2650692 - 05/07/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i use photoshop, maya, after effects, terragen and whatever else i can get my hands on. im running a dual proc 1.25 right now and i have absolutely no complaints about how it runs. I can let things render in maya while listening to itunes, browsing the net, talking to friends and working in photoshop without the computer struggling in the slightest.

i don't know if you play a lot of games but mac's are not very good gaming machines. the main problem is the frontside bus running at a paltry 166mhz (for the G4 chips, the G5's have a frontside bus that runs at half the processor speed so they are very fast). what this means is that data is choked from reaching the processor and in game situations (and other intense 3-d situations such as maya), this bottleneck causes slower framerates as all the other components of the computer are waiting on the frontside bus to feed the processor information.

while this hasn't been a major problem for me, i am looking at purchasing the next generation of G5 towers because of the 3-d work i do. however, since i only do this work for personal satifaction, i don't mind walking away from my computer or letting it render over night: im not in a rush or anything. but steve jobs did promise 3ghz G5 chips by this summer and i can't help but drool over the insane speed they will provide (in addition the f/s bus running at 1.5ghz).

hope this helps.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder