Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Carolyn Cassady
    #2647527 - 05/06/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I had no idea she was sleeping with Jack Kerouac!  Even with Neil's approvel! (she was a cutie too)  I read that today in the February 04 issue of High Times. It's a wonderful artical about the book Carolyn has written, Off The Road: My Twenty years with Cassady, Kerouac and Ginsberg. I know what book i'm reading next! 

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Carolyn Cassady [Re: kindkesey]
    #2647537 - 05/06/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

In all truth them guys were very, very fucked up.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2648168 - 05/06/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

On a side not about Kerouac...I just went to buy one of his books the other day and like an idiot, grabbed his daughter's book "Baby Driver".

Its fucking amazing how similar they are. Her book is the same type of rambling narrative across the united states and mexico. Its all autobiographical, and its so fucking great.

Go read it. Jan Kerouc...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Re: Carolyn Cassady [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2648223 - 05/06/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'll have to pick that up Madtowntripper.

I have herd about this. A friend of mine, she used to talk to me about carolyn, and I would talk to her about Neal

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2649511 - 05/07/04 09:33 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I read Off the Road maybe 1 year ago... it's a good alternative viewpoint to the lives of these guys that they wrote about...

but be warned - you will start thinking that Neal was a bit of an asshole....

--------------------

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Re: Carolyn Cassady [Re: Krishna]
    #2651480 - 05/07/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for all the imput!

you guy's kick ass!

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2652359 - 05/08/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think I've read that one. It must have been published after I did all my Beat research -- about twenty years ago. I do remember reading "Heart Beat" by Carolyn Cassady about her relationship with Jack and Neil when they lived in San Jose, CA.

A friend of mine bought me that Jan Kerouac book, "Baby Driver," when it was first published. I thought it was kind of cute, but I don't think I have it anymore. I wish I did. I collect and loose too much stuff in my life -- sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it... :frown:

On a related note, I visited one of my storage sheds, in another state, last week, and found a few of my collectible books. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time and energy to really dig and find all the good stuff.

Here's three Jack Kerouac paperbacks...

They are all first edition Avon paperbacks published in 1958, 1960, and 1959, respectively. "The Subterraneans" was my mom's, from back in her Beatnik days, and the other two were thrift-shop finds which I got for less than one dollar each! :laugh:

I also found my first edition hardcover, "Electric Koolaid Acid Test," complete with the original dust jacket, with it's colorful artwork, which I bought for $9.00 back in the late '80s, but sadly it was damaged in a fire several years ago, and I just couldn't bear to bring it back with me, so I left it in storage... :frown:

I looked for, but I couldn't find, my 1920's era, illustrated, "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" -- maybe next trip -- but I did bring back some other neat books: including an illustrated "Alice in Wonderland," by Ralph Steadman (Hunter Thompson's illustrator)! :cool:

I also found a copy of, "Demon Box," by Ken Kesey an old girlfriend gave me. I wish I had "Kesey's Garage Sale," but that's a truly rare find -- someday... :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: Carolyn Cassady [Re: Papaver]
    #2652621 - 05/08/04 03:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

lucky bastard...

oh well, just the words are good enough for me, even if they aren't original printings (*me attempts to sound non-materialistic when i'm secretly planning to break into your houes and steal all those first additions :smile: * )

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Carolyn Cassady [Re: Krishna]
    #2652643 - 05/08/04 04:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You're right, the words are all you really need, but I like collecting old books. It's fun. I mostly just look in thrift stores and garage sales -- that way it's like a treasure hunt! :laugh:

I've always bought lots of used books -- far more than I can ever read. The only problem, is that books are heavy, so I end up leaving most of them in different storage sheds as I move around.

Thrift shops are a great way to build up a library. I used to browse their book section for famous authors and buy them for 5 for a dollar.

I have a friend who's a screen writer, and he was up visiting last year, and we made an unscheduled stop at a garage sale, and I scooped him on a first edition hardcover of "Peyton Place," by Grace Metalious, but I didn't have any cash on me, so I had to borrow the twenty-five cents from him to buy it! :wink:

Somewhere, I have a hardcover (not a first edition) of, "The G-String Murders" by Gypsy Rose Lee (a famous burlesque dancer). I just liked the novelty of an old stripper writing a gritty, pulp-fiction, detective story.

There's lots of fun things you can do with old books too -- ones that aren't important literary works. Old medical text books are great for collage elements. I have an artist friend who found an old illustrated gynecology book, and used it as the basis of many collage works. Another friend of mine, takes old books, of little consequence, and creates surrealist short stories by blacking out most of the words with an ink pen.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#2652892 - 05/08/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:grin: I hate how heavy books are... i have shelves full of books in Michigan but they were all too heavy to take to Norway... now I'm moving to Copenhagen in month or so, but first will be travelling around for a while. Trying to convince people who are going directly from Norway (where I go to school) to Denmark to take boxes for me... then gonna try to convince my parents to mail books (shit expensive :frown: ) from the US to Denmark once I settle down.

The only materialistic dream of mine is to have a big ass room filled floor to ceiling with books, one of those ladders on wheels that moves around the room, and a big arm-chair in the middle of the room, with a coffee table next to it with a glass of Bell's beer and a loaded pipe.... :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

#2655118 - 05/08/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Pap,  you are indeed a lucky bastard...  sounds like you have a very nice collection!

My prize piece in a Ken Kesey autographed The Further Inquiry first print!

I too love collecting books, but only the good ones!    :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates