Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemagissa
Stranger
Can men and women be just friends?
    #2630742 - 05/03/04 03:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hey guys im doing research on whether men and women can be friends without attraction getting in the the way. so if your over 18, heterosexual and have a friend of the opposite sex could you pleaseeeee do my online survey. hopefully we can finally get some answers!

thanks

http://www.media.swin.edu.au/surveyor/survey.asp?s=01237222228079097

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: magissa]
    #2630743 - 05/03/04 03:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

NO CROSSPOSTING ALLOWED :whack:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2630809 - 05/03/04 05:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i'd say yes but am too lazy to take a survey about it :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2630841 - 05/03/04 06:14 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

no way

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2631168 - 05/03/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I did... it went well.
Well, at the beginning, I was thinking,
"damn she's fine, fancy getting to know her"
Then, when I got to know her, we became very good friends... its been a couple of years and I still really miss her, she was a great friend, but I cant say I didnt ever just want to have sex with her, sometimes it was killing me... I guess you cant.
You, or the girl has to say "no" to having sex, either that or manage having sex and remaining friends... but if thats possible... well thats another thing.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2631398 - 05/03/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

that survey was so whack.

it had way to many questions on it with 2 propositions, even though it only let you asses those propositions once.

for example:

"I am attracted to ___ but I don't want a relationship with ___."

then it asks you to rate the statement from 1 to 7, 1 being "not true" and 7 being "very true"

but let me ask you this, bitch:

WHAT IF I'M NOT ATTRACTED TO HER, and I DONT WANT A RELATIONSHIP? how does my 1-7 rate capture the essence of my opinion? WHAT IF I AM NOT ATTRACTED TO HER AND DO WANT A RELATIONSHIP? How does your 1-7 shit work then?

again: 2 propositions are made, and yet only one means of evaluation is given. this could seriously fuck with your data. And it is confusing for participants.

Way to isolate the variables dumbass. And you call yourself an HONORS student? From now on I'm blackballing your entire university. stupid aussies. go back to wrestling alligators.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2631430 - 05/03/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Dude,  :bong: hit this shit.....

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2631569 - 05/03/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

be nice now

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: Viveka]
    #2631576 - 05/03/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EvilEye? said:
Dude,  :bong: hit this shit.....

:rotfl:... right on :thumbup:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: Ripple]
    #2631584 - 05/03/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
be nice now

there is no "nice" in science.

if she doesnt hear it from me now, she's going to hear it from other scientists when she tries to publish this "research"

who would you rather be criticized by:

esteemed scientists

or

some nut on a shroom site?

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #2631601 - 05/03/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I happen to agree with the good doc on this one - if you're gonna try an do something like this then you can't have questions that force answers which may not be applicable

I forget the technical term for this sort of thing, but I know it has something to do with inadvertantly creating false results by not allowing people the opportunity to reply truethfully...simply because the wording of such questions prevents certain answers from ever being given (I think multiple choice answers are most famous for this sort of thing)

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2632213 - 05/03/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Stupid question, IMO.

Even if you really want to have more than just a friendship with a friend of the opposite sex, then you're still just friends. What about a gay man and a lesbian woman?

Of course, I suspect that anyone who disagrees with me saying that the answer is obviously yes will try to redefine friendship.

So the first thing we really need is a definition of friendship that we can all agree on.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2632341 - 05/03/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

'Just Freinds' clearly means people who like each other, but between whom there is no sexual tension.

For example, say you see a couple of fraternity boys wrestling in the Student Union. One of them throws the other face down on the ground, sits on his ass, and rapidly and repeatedly repositions himself to try and get get a better grip. Those two are clearly 'just freinds,' demonstrating their manly vigour.

Now, say you meet a girl in class. You work on a project together, eat together, but never sleep with her. The overwhelming sexual tension inherent in this situation clearly shows that you're not 'just freinds.'

Got it?

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: phi1618]
    #2632566 - 05/03/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
Now, say you meet a girl in class. You work on a project together, eat together, but never sleep with her. The overwhelming sexual tension inherent in this situation clearly shows that you're not 'just freinds.'

Got it?

Yes, I get it, but I disagree on your definition of "just friends." I would argue that they are still just friends, even though there is sexual tension.

Though, perhaps you could clarify further:
How does the sexual tension in the relationship make itself known? What forms does it take? Do both parties have to be aware of it?

In the example with the males, doesn't a demonstration of manly vigor to another male serve as an indication of sexual tension?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: phi1618]
    #2632621 - 05/03/04 03:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

'Just Freinds' clearly means people who like each other, but between whom there is no sexual tension.

And you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Friends are people who like each other and hang out together, but have no exclusive commitment to each other. There can be sexual tension, and there can even be sex(a status known as "friends with benefits"), but no commitment.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2632657 - 05/03/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

and this is a good example of why self-reporting and survey-based research is bunk. Subjective interpretation of terms that are supposed to be objective.

that and the fact that 90% of the subjects that fill these things out are psych students just trying to fulfill research credits. Last time I participated in one of these things I made sure to consider each question and provide an appropriate answer. I was always the last to finish. I'm a pretty fast reader, so I'm pretty sure the other people were just bubbling random answers so they could get out of there faster.

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2632988 - 05/03/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

this is so weird, talk about coincidences. just the other day at another forum some one posted the exact same topic (with no research link though) and its odd because im in a situation right now where im "friends" with a girl i am very attracted too. i know she had a bf but i think things may have changed, and i get the sense that she might be interested but i have no idea how to approach the situation. its kind of tearing me up on the inside, i wish i could just be open about my feelings without making everything awkward, though im sure she already knows i have a thing for her....

*sigh*

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: TheDude]
    #2633188 - 05/03/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i have tons of friends that are girls. they are by no means ugly there pretty damn hot.

Just last night one of em sorta passed out on my leg. I held her up all night but was i ever turned on or atracted to her? No. i would have done the same for my gay friends.

I also walked some girls home a couple nights ago, Was i waiting a invite? no. I wouldnt have turned her down if she had asked my but my main concern was getting her home safely.

Most guys cant think past their own dicks but i guess i can. :penis:

Edited by Kingkole (05/03/04 05:20 PM)

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: Can men and women be just friends? [Re: Kingkole]
    #2633232 - 05/03/04 05:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

but thats the thing, my dick has nothing to do with this one.  i mean, she's attractive but its her personality that i find the most intriguing...

oh well, i have come to accept that my life is one big joke and i try to laugh at these situations which pop up constantly for me....hehe, pop up  :penis:

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag