Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehorsepoo
Stranger

ID Help Please - New Ohio Hunter
    #2606394 - 04/27/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

My friend's mother recently moved to a new home where she boards horses. They have a huge manure pile behind their barn in a field close to a tree line/woods. We were out there this morning and found a large number of mushrooms growing out of the pile. It rained a day or so ago and yesterday, today was moderately cold (46), but tomorrow and Thursday it's suppose to be in the 70s/upper 60s so I plan on really hunting then.

We picked about 10-15 small shrooms, and I'm planning on spore printing when I get off work. I will post pictures and spore prints.

I have read over the literature on the main site, about WHERE and WHEN to find active mushrooms, however there was a bit of conflicting information.

I saw that (my favorite, and the kind I hope I picked) P. cubensis is not listed under Horse Dung (only cow) on the "what do they grow in" section. However, when I looked it up on the "active mushroom" types it did say that it grows in horse dung and cow dung. In the description it talked mostly about southern states like Florida as being the environment they grow in.

So, my question (before I get the pics to you guys), is does this place sound like the environment for cubes to grow in? Recap: Western Ohio, Horse Dung, April weather.

If you guys don't think they could be cubes, what species are common at this time in Ohio?

And one last side note, I would just like to say "thanks" and "great work" to the entire community and more-so the owners/staff/webmasters of this site. When I first found mushrooms I came here and was amazed by the "level" calculator and the wealth of information available. I think you guys are really helping every mushroom hunter/grower/eater be safe and enjoy mother nature's gift to mankind. Keep up the GREAT work!

Edited by horsepoo (04/27/04 12:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help Please - New Ohio Hunter [Re: horsepoo]
    #2606424 - 04/27/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ps. cubensis wont usually grow in horse manure, and they will definetly NOT be growing in Ohio. They are a tropical/subtropical species only.

An active mushroom that WILL grow in a horse manure pile, is Panaeolus subbalteatus. I find these mushrooms grow best out of the stable cleaning pile.

You'll need to get back to us with some pictures and descriptions.

Here is my pictorial from my patch this past year... Panaeolus subbalteatus

That should help aid in ID.

There are several mushrooms that will grow from manure which aren't active as well...

Offlinehorsepoo
Stranger

Re: ID Help Please - New Ohio Hunter [Re: angryshroom]
    #2606438 - 04/27/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks alot! They don't really look too much like the ones in your photo, more of a whitish color than brown, but they are growing exactly like you say, in a stable cleaning pile. I will have pictures and spore prints posted tomorrow.

How do those Panaeolus subbalteatus treat ya? Do they offer a more mild or a more potent effect?

Oh yes, and another odd question for you guys... If I were to purchase some spore prints of a tropical mushroom like Ps. cubensis is it possible for me to inject spores into the pile and yeild fruit while in Ohio?

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #2606614 - 04/27/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

if you find sub-alts and a positive ID get a shitload (no pun) of horse poo and make an outdoor bed. get a good mycelial mass, spread on the north side in a shady spot.

ghetto style outdoor tek, look in the FAQ for more info

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2606693 - 04/27/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

They could be the common dung cap, Panaeolus campanulatus.

They grow side by side with the subbalteatus, here is a pic I took last year as well:

Offlinehorsepoo
Stranger

Re: ID Help Please - New Ohio Hunter [Re: angryshroom]
    #2607038 - 04/27/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ahha! That's exactly what they are... I guess I'll have to keep hunting for a shitload sub-alts :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate