Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour?
    #2599609 - 04/24/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I was thinking, It would be more sterile if you poured your agar and then steralized rather then steralize your plates and pour your agar in a flow hood ect. You cant make peroxated plates but you cant win em all. any comments?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2599687 - 04/25/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What type of plates do you have?

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: zeta]
    #2599766 - 04/25/04 12:41 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Im geting a glass set real soon.. but i was using the plastic ones just to introduce me to agar. I bought a cheap $20 kit off ebay with 2 sleves of plates and 500ml of agar. Im just thinking about what my teks will be with the new plates. Having no flowhood and a glovebag that i stole the fan off for a tobacco grow :smile: i do my work in my oven and get a few conams here and there. So id rather juts cut out a situation where they can get contamed.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2600516 - 04/25/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Do you already have mycelium? If you do, I highly sugget adding hydrogen peroxide to your agar. Add 5ml to what you have or 10ml per liter when the agar is liquid but under 140F. You'll find it drastically reduces contams on agar. You can see this process implies that cooking agar in the plates would be very problematic. But that is true in general, don't pour then sterilize. Sterilize then pour.

Make a glovebox, no fans no fancy, just a clear rubbermaid tote with two holes in it for your arms. You don't really even need gloves attached to it. I do not know where all of these ghetto flowhoods are coming from, sometimes it seems they are coming out the woodwork. But anyway, they are an exercise in futility. But if it works for you....

Edited by YidakiMan (04/25/04 09:52 AM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2600789 - 04/25/04 11:47 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well as long as the flow hood is made with a good filter then it aint so ghetto. Thers a diffrence betweeen ghetto and injunity. I built a carbon scrubber yesterday for my friends closet grow. While we were collecting the parts the one kid kept saying how ghetto its going to be, $120 and 2 hours later, we had the most pimpin pro-looking carbon scruber ive ever seen homemade. Its all that shiny ducting with a nice galvanixed 6" fan with a 4-6" reducer on each end and 4" ducting, a nice 2'x6"dia scrubber wraped with a black outsdie blue inside a/c filter held on with SS hose clamps. And we used the silver ducting tape so the whole thing is bling'in. Ghetto i think not. :laugh: i wish i had a pic

I have growth but im going to be making spore plates for my 4 new strains i orderd so i cant h2o2 them. But i will make h2o2 plates when i can. So in my case wouldnt it be better so pour then pc only because im going from spores? I think ill just fix that glove bag i was talking about. i used it once to do some g2g and it worked great! its just a big bag with kitchen gloves with extenders on them and a hazmat filter on the inside of a plastic deli quart container with a comp fan on the end blowing in, this is just duct taped to the bag and i put a strup of duct tape allong the opening after filling with the jars. I need to fix it one of these days anyways because of my coffee experiments which are all G2G, allong with the agar work.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2601088 - 04/25/04 12:57 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I hate to burst your bubble unless you used a HEPA filter with 99.9% efficiency, your "flowbag" is ghetto.  Air exiting the filter must be laminar and clean.  If the flow is turbulent, it will pick up contams from outside your work area and bring them in.  If the air isn't clean, nuff said.  You will have neither because the irregular shape of the bag and your "filter" will leak at the sides. 
You say it worked once with no contams, you wont have as much luck with agar, especially if you cannot put H2O2 in it. 

Oh, and, sterilize then pour then  :syringe:.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2601736 - 04/25/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Its a hazmat filter im sure it filters 99.9%. I dont have an air exit it fills up like a balloon. I spray down and wipe with rubbing alcahol, load the bag, fill the bag with air, do a second spray and wipe, then do the work.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2602010 - 04/25/04 06:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'd love to see the bag in action. It sounds pretty creative.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: Joshua]
    #2602380 - 04/25/04 08:15 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

here it is, not in action due to a fan that's being used on a salvia/tobacco seedling grow (hps glow coming from teh right) but i at least put a qart jar to give you an idea of the size of this monster. I woud say to G2G 20-30 jars in this would be easy. you can see teh filter in the quart container. Im going to hot glue everyting for the next time i use it so its more air tight.

Edited by Gr0wer (04/25/04 08:16 PM)

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2603386 - 04/26/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

even with glass, you'll need to pour after sterilization. otherwise, they will boil over. plus, you can pour many more plates by pouring thinner as it cools.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2603583 - 04/26/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If sealed properly with a good filter, I imagine you would have excellent results.

Your design is actually similar to expensive designs out there. Here's a link to a positive pressure hepa filtered glove box, at least that's the best description I can come up with.

http://www.terrauniversal.com/products/gloveboxes/gloveboxes_gbx/plasticglovebox100.shtml

I've seen a unit that uctually has clear plastic sheeting covering a hard frame. When the unit is in operation it buldges the plastic like a baloon. It would be similar to adding a wire frame inside your set-up.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2604447 - 04/26/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Usually with petri's the standard is cook then pour. Depending on your pc and cooking methods, you can sterilize in the petris (an aa sterilizer drastically reduces/prevents boilover).

Deep petris (or wide mouth 1/2 pts.) can be pc'd full with no/little trouble.

What kinda pc do you have?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: to pour then pc petris or steralize then pour? [Re: mycofile]
    #2604515 - 04/26/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Joshua, Even if it does leak a bit, as long as the air is only going out it should be ok. Positive pressure is where its at.
I hear YidakiMan that if thers a cut with a slow turbulent flow it might contam... but im sure there are no holes in teh bag and it might leak a bit around the opening and where the gloves go in. But the tape will stop the turbulent flow from surging. I might get this ready for action today since im PC'ing the jars for my coffee experiment now then transfering some mexi-cube wedges.

I just bought a pressure canner. It has a rack if thats what your asking about. Its a presto 17 quart capacity unit and has a15lb rocker.

Edited by Gr0wer (04/26/04 12:13 PM)

OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
    #2605979 - 04/27/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

heres what i do and it works!

i make my agar and store it in large plastic containers... large plastic viles to be exact... and when i need to i spoon the agar out in petri dishes (as many as needed), put that on a cookie sheet, and put in the oven at 250degrees for 45 minutes... theres no boiling over that ive ever seen... then just store them somewhere once they have cooled off... this is a good way to premake agar dishes...

now i've only done this with MEA and DFA... so i don't know how others would work...

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2606824 - 04/27/04 02:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"Joshua, Even if it does leak a bit, as long as the air is only going out it should be ok."

True, but why even risk a leak? If the leak were near the filter inlet, it is quite possible that contams could be caried in at some point.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies