Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
PE Conditions check-in
    #25796910 - 02/07/19 09:12 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, so ... PE! New to this. UMMMM do they look right? I did a "thick" (little bit more than 1/4") pseudo-casing of coir only. Shoebox at a ratio of 2:1. Spawned 8 days ago (as of taking the pictures):

I've never seen blobs or anything that oozed metabolites like this, so... just kinda checking in. It looks like I may get a mix of blobs and mushrooms? Maybe? I've never had coir casing this colonized either, so a few things I'm unfamiliar with.

Water content: Spawned at field capacity, put the lids on snapped tight since then, misted once about 4 days in. All humidity started in there, and I've even soaked a tiny bit up that was pooling on top after it fell off the lid.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PE Conditions check-in [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #25796940 - 02/07/19 09:35 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

looking alright. I'd let it have a little more air probably. i see quite a few big water drops and i don't like those. Little puddles, they are. Little puddles are like big stagnant lakes for bacteria if they stick around too long.

Most PE cultures will absolutely devour a coir top layer. Why? I don't know. They just do. PE loves to blob and there are many a theory as to why. Some would say your high spawn to sub ratio will lead to more blobs. But, some would totally disagree. I've grown a ton of PE and still haven't figured it out.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: PE Conditions check-in [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25796966 - 02/07/19 09:52 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
looking alright. I'd let it have a little more air probably. i see quite a few big water drops and i don't like those. Little puddles, they are. Little puddles are like big stagnant lakes for bacteria if they stick around too long.

Thanks, I've been worried about this exactly. When I misted it, it was looking like it might dry out, then a couple days later I open it to standing water :frown:

I'm sure there's going to be bacteria in it at this point, but also this is my first time with a "trickier" variety, so I'll chalk it up to learning :smile: I'll leave the tops upside-down overnight or something.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25796992 - 02/07/19 10:11 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

There is always bacteria... everywhere. The key is to not give it prime environment to exponential reproduce and take over. Standing water is that environment.

I don't know exactly where you are at (in the growth process) but those suckers need to breathe. I would leave the lids upside down and slightly askew all the time. there are many ways to fruit shoes but it sounds like you are just using the lid at the moment.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#25797045 - 02/07/19 10:38 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks! Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty sure that a problematic amount of bacteria got into one (the moisture "pool" solidified in on area turning into muck. It's only the size of a dime, but I've got my eye on it.) It happened while they were on "set and forget"
Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
I don't know exactly where you are at (in the growth process) but those suckers need to breathe. I would leave the lids upside down and slightly askew all the time. there are many ways to fruit shoes but it sounds like you are just using the lid at the moment.

I'm running them like regular cubes in shoeboxes. They get more than enough FAE from just having the lids unlatched, and I just take them off at the end if needed. It can keep the RH a bit high at time. If I flip the lids everything will dry out to hell and produce crap, too much FAE. It's been pretty successful so far (500-ish grams wet per quart for the first two flushes), and I adapt as needed from there.

Honestly, my guess is that some of the problems with this grow are related to the internal conditions of my apartment. We had a polar vortex, which apparently means it's 80F indoors with the radiators (yay humidity) cranked at all times. I lost 3 shoe-boxes from this (my theory).

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#25801621 - 02/09/19 12:53 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Since I already have a thread going for this I'm going to consolidate. Still looking for input. One box seems to have a more dick like output and the other blobs.

I went in right away and dried the insides and let the lid sit askew overnight the possibly bacterial pools seem to have cleared up for the most part.

I did research into casing and fruiting things that look like dicks... And when to harvest those. My research on blobs was incidental.

When do I harvest the blobs? The stuff I saw varied wildly, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Question! Are there any problematic situations happening here? It looks ok, but would love input.

When to harvest? If these were normal cubes I would be prepping to harvest in 24-48 hours. Should I just go with my gut or are there signs?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25801661 - 02/09/19 01:13 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see any major sign of problems. It's a bit dry for my liking though. Blobs are strange little guys. sometimes they stall out and remain little tiny balls (brain blobs) and sometimes they get freaking huge and start to show some semblance of a stipe and cap. I pick any blob that has quit growing. it can be a little confusing at first but you learn to tell if it's gonna carry on or remain a little brain. other than that i pick blobs when they start getting soft or when any non blob PE fruits start to show that they are ready. Normal PeE fruits will get all bumpy on the stipe when they are ready.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#25801679 - 02/09/19 01:20 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it was a little dry looking for me too. I misted and put the kids back on after these pictures. It's like I'm a mycology virgin all over again! I feel like I know nothing lol.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25801684 - 02/09/19 01:22 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

PE will do that. "misted and put the kids back on" HA. I love a good typo sometimes.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#25801688 - 02/09/19 01:22 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

:laugh2:

Leaving that autocorrect. Sitting on my couch and too lazy to get the laptop.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom