Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation
    #2531725 - 04/06/04 01:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

its getting nice out, and its time for me to grow outdoors for the first time.  I am confused on whether or not i should have fresh poo or dried poo :confused:

im doing it in layers; lay down some spawn, then some wet hay, then some poo...etc......but i just dont know if the poo should be old dry poo or fresh poo.(i can get either, my friend has plenty on his farm :P)

if it is dry that i need, do i need to water it pretty well, like soak it real good or just have it be moist?

then since it is outdoor do i even need to do anything special to it?  like this leeching thing...i know old dry patties dont need it cuz the rain already did that, but what about fresh or is that only an indoor concern?

thanks shroomery, replies are appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: ]
    #2531745 - 04/06/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

you should use dried poo, otherwise it will have too high of a nitrogen and ammonia content. pasturize it before spawning and have it the same moisture as you would for a casing layer.

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Anonymous

Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: distortion]
    #2531871 - 04/06/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

aww damnit, so i have to pasteurize it even though its for outdoor use  :frown:  I just dont want my house to smell like SHIT lol

has anyone not pasteurized their poo and had just as good of success??

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2531924 - 04/06/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I know Ive read of people having success with unpastuerized dung/straw outdoors. It depends on the thickness I believe. I forget how thick you can get it though. Too thick and contams show.
Ive never tried it.
Ive never used fresh but Ive heard of people using leached fresh dung. It must be leached.
Dung doesnt have much odor although it does have some odor. Ive only used water to pasteurize dung and the steam made my house smell like dirt but it wasnt bad or strong. It smelled like cultivation to me so I loved it.

Anonymous

Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2532073 - 04/06/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, i guess i will just have to deal with it, cuz i want success and nothing less.  Its not store bought shit though...this is some fuckin SHIT dude, straight from the pasture, i bet it smells different and i bet it smells my house full of that shitty aroma.

i want to make a bunch of beds, so they just pop up every year and i dont have to make anymore, ya know, so atleast a half pound pops up and i can hook up my friends and we can shroom balls throughout the summer for free :laugh:

thank you for the replies, i will pasteurize the cow shit if need be, but please if one of you knows for outdoors it isnt necessary, please speak up, it will save me the shit smell filled house(or maybe just dirt smell...which isnt as bad)

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #2532111 - 04/06/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Use composted manure. 2.99-4.99 for a 40lb bag.

it dosent smell to pasterize it...

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2532380 - 04/06/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You want to look for the dry paddies when you go to gather shit. These will usually have no smell other than a dirt smell even when re hydrated and hot. These are the ones that you want to use to make the beds.

Also, you don't have to do the pasteurization in the house at all. Use an old ice chest or beer cooler(whatever you call it) and do the pasteurization in there out in your yard. Just heat some water to around 180 degrees in the kitchen and bring it out to the cooler. Have the dung in a pillow case, inside the cooler and pour the water in. Monitor the temp and adjust as needed for about 70-80 minutes or so. The cooler will insulate everything so that the temps. stay pretty much constant.

Another thought that you may want to explore is that you may want to collect fresh poo to add to your yard clippings or maybe some store bought straw to make compost. Just a thought.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (04/06/04 04:48 PM)

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2532772 - 04/06/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Joshua's outdoor grow from last year was NON-pasteurized horse-poo.
I'm sure he'll find his way here eventually.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: @cro]
    #2533105 - 04/06/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, i was thinking hmmmm its not like the patties that wild shrooms grow on ever had to be pasteurized, so why would i even have to. BUT if there is a benefit to it, then i am game, but if there is no big difference, then i will just moisten the dry poo and go to work with that.

im going to use wet hay, towards the top i will mix some poo and hay then case it with the dirt i dug the bed with(not too thick of course)

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: @cro]
    #2533145 - 04/06/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm know if anyone can successfully use non-pasteurized poo it would surely be Joshua!

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: fresh or dry poo for outdoor cultivation [Re: distortion]
    #2533714 - 04/07/04 12:38 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I am sure many of you would have great success with nonpasteurized manure.

I used a compost. This means that the material has had time to cure and has a nice balance of bacteria. Not all composts are the same. I've had batches hatch flies, this means the compost was not properly prepared. Store bought steer manure compost works well. In all though, the material you use should be either composted or if untereated manure, dried, broken up, and mixed to a homogenous consistancy. For outdoors I suggest from 4 to 8 inches of compost. Many of my beds were about 6 inches deep. I suggest allowing adequate drainage as well. A bottom layer of verm or perlite or straw all work well. I also suggest a casing layer. I have used moss. I suggest at least washing the materila if not pasteurizing it. I like to case to about 4 inches with moss, this provides an excellent moisture barrier. If you live in a more humid climate this may not be as important though.

I whole heartedly encourage everyone to attempt an outdoor bed, the results are amazing!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale