Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
am I fucked?.... need advice
    #2518908 - 04/02/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

ok, so here's the deal. I got fucked at my college (figuratively speaking). I'm not sure what to do. PLEASE read through this, it's kinda lengthy, but could greatly affect the next year of my life.

I have a couple weeks left before this year is over. I *should* be graduating with the rest of my class, but one of my teachers felt it necessary to fail me in one of my classes. The last day of the semester (3rd semester, to be exact), I thought I was passing (as he told me I was). Then, out of nowhere, he informs me that I have a 69%, which is 1% below passing. So I failed by 1%. The reason for the sudden, last minute grade drop, is an extra "teamwork grade" which nobody in my class knew about. The day I heard about my being fucked, I went around my class and asked if anyone had heard of this "teamwork" grade before that day. Nobody said yes. Except for ONE person (who you will come to know soon, heh).

A little more history... the class I failed is called "projects" class. Basically you get into a team of 3 or 4 students and work togethor to make art for a particular program (be it general art assets, or you can work with one of the game programming teams on the other half of the school, etc). My team decided we would develop a mod for the game half life 2. If you don't know what a mod is, it's ok as it's not reall crucial to understanding the overall problem. Anyway, the self-appointed "team leader", who we'll call "Jim" was a good friend of mine. Throughout the semester, however, I and the rest of the team began to realize that Jim wasn't exactly who we thought he was. He turned out to be a controlling, self serving asshole. He looked at the project as "his" mod, and gave us orders like he was our commander or something. Now I'm a very passive person, so I mostly just said "whatever" and did my work. I really didn't think he was worth confronting anyway. So as the semester progresses, he begins to leap ahead of the rest of us, and ends up doing 150% of the work he originally planned to do. However, when he started pulling ahead and we didn't, he began to treat us like shit. For example, sometimes my alarm wouldn't wake me up in the morning, so when I rolled out of bed, realized I had slept through a class, I was warmly greeted by him, yelling at me and calling me a worthless piece of shit. I had no place at my school. I deserved to fail. I was a fucking stupid asshole who didn't give a shit about anyone but myself, and I was also a pathetic stoner. According to him. He basically ended up hating me because I wasn't him. I have since realized that his hate was based on jealousy, as my art skills are about twice as good as his (I am not an arrogant person, this is the first time I've ever said that I was good at anything heh). Because of his wonderful, morale-boosting speeches, I ended up falling behind a little in the class, and didn't turn anything in for a month. Basically I put that class on the back burner so I could complete work for some other classes, since the teacher told us that as long as we had our scheduled work turned in by the end of the semester, we'd be ok. So I did just that, and still failed.

Anyway, throughout this whole time, Jim met with my teacher almost weekly, and bascially did his best to kiss the teacher's ass and jiggle his balls, so they're all buddy-buddy. When I confronted the teacher about my grade, he essentially (through several long conversations) told me to fuck off. I now believe that Jim talked lots of shit about me to said teacher, and was the primary reason that I failed.

Now I don't know what to do. I want to go talk to the department chair about this, but I'm afraid that word has gotten around (all based off of Jim's lies about me) that I'm a stupid, selfish stoner, and I'm afraid that he will tell me to fuck off too.

I've never been fucked over like this in my life, and it honestly has me at a loss for words. I don't know what to do. I know I deserve to pass the class, and every single person in my class agrees with me, except for Jim.

So, those of you who took the time to read this.... do you have any ideas? Jim is the kind of person who looks for things to hate, and makes friends based on common hates instead of common likes.

I've never hated anyone in my life, except for Jim. This entire situation is bothering me very deeply.... so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: am I fucked?.... need advice [Re: Turd]
    #2518931 - 04/02/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I guess you might as well talk to the department chair about it... you don't really have anything to lose, or at least that's my take on it.

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Re: am I fucked?.... need advice [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #2518942 - 04/02/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

the reason I hesitate is I have the asshole teacher in 3 classes this semester. I'm afraid that the department chair might tell the teacher that I tried to go over his head and get my grade changed, and he will fuck me over in one or more of the classes I'm taking now.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #2518956 - 04/02/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Would it be possible to take the classes with a different teacher?

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

#2518962 - 04/02/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

no, he's the only teacher for that class :frown:

my school is very small, my class is ~35 students.  I have 3 different teachers.  This particular teacher is responsible for all my 3D related classes.  The department chair is also my 2D art teacher.
:sad:

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2518970 - 04/02/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

definitely talk to the head of the department, and bring the other two members of your group if they will back you up on the situation. if you can, talk about how this asshole dominated and took control over the group in such a way that confronting him about it would have compromised the entire project and therefore the grades for all parties involved. also mention that this "teamwork" aspect to the grading system is bullshit because the students were not enlightened to it and get a signed list from all of those in the class that support your claim. also, if you have a syllabus for the class, check to see if this aspect is factored into the grading system, and if it is not, as a last result threaten to talk to a lawyer about this situation because a class syllabus is a legally binding document (if i understand this correctly). best of luck to you.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2518972 - 04/02/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You can still walk the graduation, even if you don't have all the requirements yet... at least at my college. They didn't give you a real diploma during the walk... it was mailed out later in the summer.

You can wait until all grades are posted, and then talk to the dept chair. Any changes after the fact would be very odd.

At my college, we had a student affairs office that would support the students on this type of thing. See if your school does as well, and use them.

If you do talk to the chair/student affairs, be sure that you have all your tests, projects, etc... and anybody else that you can get that was in your group to support you.

I (and three other students) actually managed to get a teacher fired for giving us bad grades. It was an upper level graduate class and she gave the four of us B's. The lowest score between the four of us was a 93% in the class. We had all of our tests, papers, and projects to back up the scores. We also had copies of the 'A' students in the class work as well, to show that our work was as good as, if not better than, their work. We were told that it was the only time in the 120 year history of the school that a student had actually managed to get a grade changed and a teacher fired. She didn't have tenure.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2519129 - 04/02/04 01:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Sometimes at schools there is an Office of Ombudsman I believe it is called. You can go there for completely confidential counseling for teacher disputes and such. They can then arrange a non-biased meeting to deal with the subject at at hand. They are basically a third-party non-university based negotiating group that is there to represent students' rights. They can even help you withdraw from a class after the final grade has been posted if you can present a good case. You should check to see if your school has one. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Re: am I fucked?.... need advice [Re: bert]
    #2522143 - 04/03/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

thanks a ton for the replies, guys

I'll update this thread if I manage to get anywhere with this  :smile:

Offlinesunshine
Sin18DwireWuTang

Loc: higher plane of sex
    #2522214 - 04/03/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Just stop going to class and you'll fail all your subjects. That's what I did at college, bro.

--------------------
One Love True Indeed.  Have Good Trips.  Mike/sunshine's mom.

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

Re: am I fucked?.... need advice [Re: sunshine]
    #2522224 - 04/03/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hey, no shit?! me too!

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2522617 - 04/03/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If you have already talked to your teacher abut it and still feel the mark is unfair, you have every right to go above his head. I would prob tell the teacher first but you may or may not feel ok about talking to him again - but either way it is still reasonable to challenge a mark. From my expereince, your teacher may end up respecting you for not being a pushover, or looking like you accept that you are wrong b/c you didnt do anything about the grade. The teamwork grade sounds like it's bullshit if it was never mentioned at the beginning of the class. I reckon go for it - talk to the chair. Good luck.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale