Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcon
Bloomer
 User Gallery

Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for?
    #25165853 - 04/25/18 11:32 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I made 5-6 new friends this past year that take SSRI's. All women, and they pretty much all also take amphetamines, benzos, caffeine, alcohol, weed, and whatever else they can get their hands on it seems. I try to tell them about Ayahuasca, and they all love to trip and are open to different psychedelics. But when I tell them they'd have to stop taking their SSRI's for a few days, well, it's never happened. A couple have said they blatantly would not want or be able to stop taking them for a trip.

They each have a swath of mental issues they're treating, as well as addictions. A strong Ayahuasca trip could really change their lives by healing traumas and making them more mindful.

Has anyone been in that situation and been able to stop SSRI's and thought Ayahuasca was worth doing so? How do I convince someone to give it a try? Does someone go crazy, lose their job, kill themselves after a few days without SSRI's or something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Icon]
    #25165887 - 04/26/18 12:03 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

They would need to not take antidepressants for more than a few days. more likely a month or so. Most antidepressants need to accumulate in the body over the course of several weeks. So not taking it for a few days and then having an MAOI would not be safe. Don't try to convince them to take it if they are not ready that's just asking for trouble.

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

OfflineSaboiz
Detective
Trans-male

#25165888 - 04/26/18 12:04 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I am taking Sertraline (50mg) right now. It is hard to live without anti-depressant drugs but I don't mind stop taking it for a few days to try Ayahuasca. I don't understand why your friends don't want to give up their anti-depressants to try Ayuahuasca :confused::tongue:

--------------------

Edited by Saboiz (04/26/18 12:05 AM)

OfflineSaboiz
Detective
Trans-male

Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Crispy224]
    #25165891 - 04/26/18 12:08 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I can stop taking the anti-depressant for a few days to maximum 1 and a half week but definitely not a month! (well that is just me :crazy:)

--------------------

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Saboiz]
    #25175566 - 04/30/18 01:20 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Depending on what SSRI they're taking:

Quote:

The interaction between MAOIs and SSRIs is the most important drug interaction limiting SSRI use. This combination may lead to the development of a hyperserotonergic syndrome consisting of excitement, diaphoresis, rigidity, hyperthermia, tachycardia, hypertension, and possibly death. The severity of this interaction necessitates at least 5 week washout when switching a patient from fluoxetine to an MAOI to allow complete elimination of the fluoxetine. At least 14 days should be allowed after stopping citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine or sertraline before starting an MAOI.

(source: http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris.shtml)

Edited by Aldous (04/30/18 01:20 PM)

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Aldous]
    #25175974 - 04/30/18 04:50 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Coming off SSRI's can be brutal, months of tapering is likely the best method. I'd wait a long time afterwards before trying psychedelics, not for safety but just since it takes a while for brain chemistry to reset itself. Ayahuasca might somehow be able to help that process, or it might just be too much for a brain that's still a little out of whack.

OfflineIcon
Bloomer
 User Gallery

Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Aldous]
    #25176168 - 04/30/18 06:23 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Aldous said:
Depending on what SSRI they're taking:

Quote:

The interaction between MAOIs and SSRIs is the most important drug interaction limiting SSRI use. This combination may lead to the development of a hyperserotonergic syndrome consisting of excitement, diaphoresis, rigidity, hyperthermia, tachycardia, hypertension, and possibly death. The severity of this interaction necessitates at least 5 week washout when switching a patient from fluoxetine to an MAOI to allow complete elimination of the fluoxetine. At least 14 days should be allowed after stopping citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine or sertraline before starting an MAOI.

(source: http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris.shtml)

Thank you for the info. I never realized they stay in the system for so long. I figured stopping the medication 1-2 days before and after inhibition would be enough. Even if there's traces in the system, the levels must go down rather quickly if people experience withdrawal symptoms after a few days. I didn't realize SSRI's were so intense that people actually get withdrawals from them though, that sucks.

It wouldn't be my intention to have someone tripping while withdrawing, but I agree Aya might soften the withdrawal symptoms. The MAOI would be having its own anti-depressant effects, and if residual SSRI's are still active then you probably wouldn't be experiencing any depression or withdrawal during the trip. Some people do seek out Aya for assistance with beating addictions and find success.

That's kind of why I think it would be perfect for these women, most with multiple addictions. Really gives you a fresh perspective. But daaamn SSRI's and their half-lives. I don't understand why people take them anyway. My friends that do take SSRI's are some of the most frantic, manic-depressive, helpless people I know despite them. It's sad.

OfflinekillerbunniesKB
Headspace Traveler
Male

Loc: Stavanger Norway Flag
    #25176240 - 04/30/18 07:03 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

SSRIs and phycedelics as a rule of thumb don't go together , if your wanting to do any phycedelic it's definitely "worth it" to stp.

OfflineIcon
Bloomer
 User Gallery

Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: killerbunniesKB]
    #25177367 - 05/01/18 08:52 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

killerbunniesKB said:
SSRIs and phycedelics as a rule of thumb don't go together , if your wanting to do any phycedelic it's definitely "worth it" to stp.

How does it interact with other psychedelics? I think I've read a little about tryptamines being shut out by the excessive serotonin inhabiting 5-ht receptors. But mescaline, ibogaine, THC I think are still fair play.

OfflineGlockshooter
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25177461 - 05/01/18 09:33 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Anything is worth stopping SSRIs over.  I've had SSRI related issues still about 12-13 years after cessation of use.  They will destroy your mind, body and soul.

OfflineGlockshooter
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Is Ayahuasca worth stopping SSRI's for? [Re: Glockshooter]
    #25177465 - 05/01/18 09:34 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Exercise does more for me than anything. And sex.

InvisibleBill_Oreilly
ANIMALS (the RAINBOW SERPENT)

Loc: Boston
    #25177689 - 05/01/18 11:32 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Icon said:
I made 5-6 new friends this past year that take SSRI's. All women, and they pretty much all also take amphetamines, benzos, caffeine, alcohol, weed, and whatever else they can get their hands on it seems. I try to tell them about Ayahuasca, and they all love to trip and are open to different psychedelics. But when I tell them they'd have to stop taking their SSRI's for a few days, well, it's never happened. A couple have said they blatantly would not want or be able to stop taking them for a trip.

They each have a swath of mental issues they're treating, as well as addictions. A strong Ayahuasca trip could really change their lives by healing traumas and making them more mindful.

Has anyone been in that situation and been able to stop SSRI's and thought Ayahuasca was worth doing so? How do I convince someone to give it a try? Does someone go crazy, lose their job, kill themselves after a few days without SSRI's or something?

life is worth stopping SSRI;s

--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.

It's just a shot away..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom