Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevoodoochild1000
psychonautic
 User Gallery

Loc: Cascades! Flag
Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. * 1
    #25100900 - 03/29/18 10:23 PM (6 years, 18 hours ago)

Man.... I've been really having problems with bad pinsets....

I've read the identifying proper surface conditions thread twice through and I've asked so many questions I basically got booted out of the shoe boxes the red for asking again and again.. there seems to be a lot of contradictory information from people misting multiple times a day that people not misting at all. I've got a lot of shrugs and just can't seem to wrap my head around it..

At first I was going with trying to maintain a constant layer of microbeads on the surface but then I was led to believe that I was over misting and now I've just stopped misting for 2 and 1/2 days.

I was hoping stopping misting would help some pins set but I have several tabs that just have a couple on the sides and nothing at all in the field?

I did a light misting tonight because I wasn't seeing any noticeable Improvement in pin sets from stopping misting.

Prior to two and a half days ago I was missing two or three times a day for about a week... I posted a bunch of pictures but didn't seem to get real clear-cut answers but several people suggested that I was missing too much so I stopped.

I was basically misting then coming back later and if I didn't see beads I was missing again but it was suggested to me that once the substrate gets kind of moist you can mist it and not see beads am I to assume that's because the beads just attached to the existing moisture so you don't really see beading?

.... next time I'm going to make my substrate just a little more moist and maybe try a thin suit okay saying to help keep the moisture in and help with pinning. I'm just trying anything and everything to help please tubs get some pins so I can have some sort of a yield off of this project..

It's been enormously frustrating and the lack of a step-by-step guide to follow has left this new asking a lot of questions that I really don't have answers for...

Here's a tub I haven't misted in 2.5 days..

..does it look dry?...should I mist?

Here a couple i misted 2nite...

Here's some of my shitty pinsets...can anything be done.?.. did I over Mist before and f*** them?:facepalm3:

The lack of a concrete step by step technique and so much play from situation to situation is really making it hard for me to do the appropriate thing when it needs to be done. At first my understanding was just keep a constant layer of beads on the surface but I think that led me to over water. Now I haven't misted for two and a half days until tonight and I don't know if that's letting it go too long?

Here's a couple questions

1. After misting when do I know that it's dry enough to missed again? The only real tip I've got is if it's dark brown it's moist and if it's light brown it's dry. I don't know if my eyes suck but it's hard for me to tell the difference between light brown and dark brown or how light brown and how dark brown? LOL..

2.how dry is dry?... I mean bone dry to me would mean that it is dramatically light when you lift the tub up but I don't feel like I've been there at all it always feels like it has some weight and if I touch my finger to the surface of the substrate it doesn't feel totally f****** dry tears definitely some moisture there but I don't know how dry is dry?

3.. do you think that me misting It 2 to 3 times a day is what caused my pins to suck? Do you think I basically f***** them for the first flash by over misting or can I just back off on the missing and things will turn around at this point?

..GFD... this whole scenario has left me kind of exhausted and extremely frustrated and it takes a lot of energy to do these long post trying to explain and ask appropriate questions... I'm just the kind of person that really wants to figure it out and until I do I'm not satisfied and I need  to find a solution to the problem cuz I want to have nice flushes and not feel like I'm f****** it up on some misunderstanding...

Anyways.... if anyone can mentor me on this and really helped me work through this I would be very appreciative...

... I'm not being lazy and I put a lot of time and Research into this and just really hitting a wall with this issue...

Have an awesome day...:firstladyofapproval:

--------------------
....."So Great!"....-Me on 1.5mg LSD :vibin:

...."We don't need this" -Larkin in response to my "just picked wild LSD!" post:canthelpbutlaugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDiggler
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: voodoochild1000] * 1
    #25101042 - 03/29/18 11:52 PM (6 years, 17 hours ago)

I had these questions too and this is my understanding.

how many times a day you mist is completely dependent on how much FAE you're giving your tub. So it's impossible to say misting 3 times is too much. It depends on the rate of evaporation and how you have your tub set up.
Secondly, there are other variables to having a good pinset other than surface moisture. (genetics, enough FAE, etc...) you may be misting correctly and still not have a massive pinset.

One of the  pinning triggers is the act of evaporation off of the surface, not just having it at a certain moisture level. You can see when the top of the sub is at the right moisture level because, as you said, you'll see that tiny layer of micro beads. So....you mist, see the beads, make sure you're fruiting chamber has enough FAE, the beads will go away, and you'll mist again. That is what you want. That cycle of evaporation from the surface. Evaporation is one of the pinning triggers.

To quickly answer your questions:
1) You don't see the microbeads.
2) You don't see the microbeads.
3) Impossible to say....depends on your setup

I remember when I asked these questions, kind of micromanaging the conditions of my tub, I got criticized for not considering the condition of my spawn. Did you do all this from Agar or are you working off of a MS syringe?

Edited by Diggler (03/29/18 11:58 PM)

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: voodoochild1000]
    #25101053 - 03/30/18 12:00 AM (6 years, 17 hours ago)

:popcorn:

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25101162 - 03/30/18 01:19 AM (6 years, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

your poly fill needs the be above the substrate.

like so

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrÑn and it means that of which is of itself.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Ziran]
    #25101474 - 03/30/18 06:24 AM (6 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:
Quote:

your poly fill needs the be above the substrate.

like so

I think that's just puffy mycelium not polyfill lol. I think that's a unmodified shoebox.

OfflineShrooms4life
TrippyShaman
Male

Loc: Under the Viel Flag
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: flyhighfunguy] * 1
    #25101500 - 03/30/18 06:43 AM (6 years, 10 hours ago)

Dude voodoo... you are killing yourself with this overthinking shit man!! Lots of very good growers have given you answers on this same question all week long, use the rest of your time with these boxes to experiment and then start fresh next round and worry about conditions then!

You aren't going to "fix" your matted down mycelium this late in the game, once it starts to turn south which yours did last week you are always going to struggle playing catch up! Just mist when its dry man.. when the coir is light light brown give it 3-4 sprays till it's dark brown and you can visibly see you added moisture...

You need to smoke some weed and get away from your grow for a day because I've been there and done what you are doing and it's just causing you to stress something you can't salvage now.

OfflineShrooms4life
TrippyShaman
Male

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Shrooms4life] * 1
    #25101522 - 03/30/18 07:00 AM (6 years, 10 hours ago)

Also no one can give you a concrete answer because it is different for everyone! We all live in different places so our ambient temps, humidity, and fae are all different and thus we can't all do things the same.

You need to learn how to read your substrate and that will come with time and experience man. Take a breathe, get some agar work done in the meantime, find some badass Gene's and test those in a new shoebox.

Also next time you make boxes try adding a casing of coir at full colonization and then give it one little mist to dampen the top layer and then you may not need to mist at all till after first flush, point is expirement and find what works best for you and your conditions!!

For me I get better more even pinsets when I put on a casing but I've also seen non cased tubs put out huge.

Offlinevoodoochild1000
psychonautic
 User Gallery

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Shrooms4life]
    #25101630 - 03/30/18 08:12 AM (6 years, 9 hours ago)

Ok.... sorry about stressing out I just was totally over-thinking it and I will just pay attention and try to start figuring it out whatever it takes....

One thing is for sure I wouldn't be doing a goddamn thing if it wasn't for all the help and information here on shroomery!

Best wishes everyone!:aweyeah:

--------------------

...."We don't need this" -Larkin in response to my "just picked wild LSD!" post:canthelpbutlaugh:

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: voodoochild1000] * 1
    #25101656 - 03/30/18 08:28 AM (6 years, 8 hours ago)

Once you get your substrate mixture properly saturated you won't have to worry about misting tubs. If you are really struggling with your pinsets maybe you should try a simple casing.

I have always used eco earth brand coir and with 2 qts of vigoro brand fine vermiculite (home Depot), 4.5 qts of water is my sweet spot. When you test your substrate for field capacity, you should squeeze it in your hand and see just a couple drops of water come out. If it is too wet, simply add more  verm. It seems like you are erring on the dry side, which is good - mold likes wet.

Keep practicing you'll get it soon enough! :goodluck:

--------------------

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: voodoochild1000]
    #25101672 - 03/30/18 08:36 AM (6 years, 8 hours ago)

It's not rocket science poke it and pick it up and you'll know how hydrated it is.

InvisibleTrav420
Pharmer
Male

Loc: Great White North
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25101707 - 03/30/18 08:55 AM (6 years, 8 hours ago)

So here's a question which may or may not help the OP with his issue, and being new and never having tried this hopefully it will help me in the future as well.  I noticed in his pics that his sub has really pulled away from the sides of the tub, yet the OP says he has been misting lots and may have even oven misted it as indicated by some of the replies he's gotten.  Would this mean that when he did up his coco that he didn't get it up to proper field capacity??  And also would this now be a case of when you would want to do some bottom watering rather then continued misting??

--------------------
Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought...
Your thoughts create your life...
β€œWaste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”  Marcus Aurelius

Offlinevoodoochild1000
psychonautic
 User Gallery

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Trav420]
    #25101749 - 03/30/18 09:09 AM (6 years, 8 hours ago)

I did make my CV a touch on the dry side of Field capacity and this next time I'll make sure it's Field capacity perfectly. Also, I will also be trying a casing layer 2 help maintain moisture and hopefully create a more dense pin set.....:firstladyofapproval:

Right now I'm zooming in with my phone and looking at the surface and if I don't see beads then I'm doing a light mist misting and then looking at the zoomed in image on my phone and seeing if it has nice little beads.... that's basically what I was doing an initially but I don't know if I was just getting overzealous or going to heavy or too often....

... I guess I'll be learning from experience and trying not to overdo it:awethumb:

--------------------

Offlinevoodoochild1000
psychonautic
 User Gallery

#25101812 - 03/30/18 09:42 AM (6 years, 7 hours ago)

Here's a couple of before and after pics. I did a light misting before I went to bed last night about 7 or 8 p.m. Then I got up this morning and looked at the surface and determined that it had evaporated because I saw no beads and then did another light misting. This is the rule of thumb that I would like to follow but I feel like somehow I f***** it up before so now I'm gun shy or shall we say mister shy LOL...

Before mist

After misting

Look good?.... not sure exactly what I was doing before but somehow I got s*** to wet. My Approach from here on out will be to look very closely at the surface with a zoomed-in image and if I see no beads on the surface then I will missed again and create beads. And whenever the beads have evaporated off then I will produce more beads.... that's the rule of thumb I would like to use..

Some about right?

--------------------

OfflineExplicitdetail
Rickshaw Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the Equator
    #25102002 - 03/30/18 11:16 AM (6 years, 6 hours ago)

You don’t need a camera to be able to tell if there is moisture on the surface but what you said is correct. If you find that your surface is drying out to quickly decreases your FAE you don’t end up matting the surface.

--------------------
"Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way."

OfflineShrooms4life
TrippyShaman
Male

Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Explicitdetail]
    #25102015 - 03/30/18 11:22 AM (6 years, 5 hours ago)

Just try and casing layer next time once the substrate is at 100% throw on a light top coat of coir and introduce fae.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25102105 - 03/30/18 12:11 PM (6 years, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

voodoochild1000 said:
Before mist

that did not needed to be misted. the after pic has your splendid beads of moisture but its still too wet.
you want those beads of moisture before knots come in. understand you are playing catch up at this point.:takingnotes::thumbup:

these beads of moisture where maintained with 1 or 2 long distance misting sprays and a flipped lid.

i can keep it looking like this for weeks with no further misting. ape takes that long to pin:tongue:

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: mushboy]
    #25102233 - 03/30/18 01:24 PM (6 years, 3 hours ago)

i think the smoke a spliff and relax a bit approach will do you best. People do better than your doing while paying less than half as much attention and STRESSING WAY LESS. Busting out a magnifying glass to identify proper surface conditions? I do find a flashlight to be helpful though.

also, did you answer the question about the source of you spawn? probably use a liner next time and definitely learn agar if you don't already fool with it.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25102321 - 03/30/18 01:56 PM (6 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Yeah I knew you were doing that (misting and fanning at least 6 times a day), just wanted you to clarify what you did to keep a record for people to see.

It's your first tub and quite impressive considering that, but it's not looking decent at all... it could have looked really decent though, probably a hell of a flush with taller and healthier looking fruits, but unfortunatly it's looking arid af due to operator error.

Trust the plastic box and the mycs ability to keep good conditions for you. You (or anyone else) are fucking horrible at that.

A tub is not a cake in a SGFC that you gotta mist, this is truly set and forget or mostly. You shouldn't be misting your tub if you did everything correctly in the first place. You see the surface matted? That's from so much misting and drying, misting and drying... that's the way myc has to protect itself against the assault and it ruins what could otherwise have been a good and moist pinning platform.

If you think you ain't gonna be able to scrap what you've read so far about misting and fanning, like it's really ingrained in your brain already and you are gonna keep doing it no matter what, at least add a non-nutritious casing layer next time so that you can mist and fan 6 times a day or whatever you want. The casing will protect the surface from you. :thumbup:

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

OfflineTropiColombia
Stranger
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: Diggler]
    #27707334 - 03/24/22 06:39 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Ok but you guysss :frown: no one touched on what he/she said about when you mist and NO beads form. I have been reading and reading and searching and cannot find an answer anywhere. After my first flush, which was only two, (albeit very lovely) mushrooms, I dunked my cake for about 14 hours and ever since (two weeks into waiting for my second flush) I never saw the formation of water beads. I paused misting thinking maybe it was too wet until I saw the cake was shrinking a little and looked dry, then misted (a foot or so away, fine misting, softly coming down to the substrate) and no beads. I continued on, I tried misting it more, surface looks darker, no beads. Mycelium was immediately matted after dunk, so yeah it got too wet or too dry at some point. But that is not the question, the question is my fellow human beings, what does it mean when you mist and no beads are forming??? Increase FAE, it dries a little, you mist, STILL NO BEADS. You mist more, sure that surface is moist. STILL NO BEADS. Please y'all. What does it meeeeeeean

InvisibleCurious Thinker
Dog person
Male User Gallery
Loc: US Flag
Re: Identifying if my sub is dry/wet ..rule of thumb? Can't figure it out.. [Re: TropiColombia]
    #27707459 - 03/24/22 08:43 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

I'll try to help out, but I'm on my first 2nd flush.  If you mist, the water has to go somewhere.  It should either be absorbed, form beads on the surface, or pool on the surface.  I noticed that after dunking the subs in the 3 shoeboxes I've got going (and I only dunked them for about an hour), for about the first 5 days the surface would appear dry.  But when I would mist with a fine mister it would just pool on the surface.  That led me to believe that the sub had plenty of moisture. 

After about ten days now the mycelium has started to regrow over the old surface and stumps and I misted today after about 5 days of doing nothing and I'm getting beads of moisture again on the surface.  I don't expect I'll have to mist much more because I've got the tubs dialed in pretty well with a very slightly cracked lid.

If you're misting and not seeing beads or pooling, I would assume your sub is too dry and absorbing the water right away.  But if you dunked the sub for 14 hours there's no way it could be too dry.  What you're describing sounds strange and I'm not sure what the issue might be, but, as I said, the water has to go somewhere.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags