Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSlocal77
Nomadchef
Male User Gallery
Loc: San Luis Obispo
Central Coast California
    #25074470 - 03/18/18 11:13 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Hello. First timer here. New to shroom hunting. I’ve taken them off an on for 25 years but never picked them myself. I’m currently living in San Luis Obispo county, really close to the coast. On a hike yesterday I found a plethora of amazing mushrooms growing. We’ve had some decent rains with warm sunshine afterwards. Temp is about 50f at night and in the humid 60s in the day.
I found some interesting small golden caps growing in all the old cow poop patties. They looked like what I’ve seen from when I was a kid, but I’m not sure. Most measured 2-3”, and caps the were the size of a nickel to quarter. Black gills. I didn’t see any blue/purple from bruising. I did a spore print and it was black. Wondering if these were the cubenzies type? I’m going to post pictures if I can. Thanks in advance for any input.

(I’ve uploaded all the pictures, but can’t see where I can attach them. My phone may not be compatible with this site...) They’re in my home folder, but haven’t figured out how to bring them over...?

The photos are in my user gallery if you can open it (sorry about this).

Edited by Slocal77 (03/18/18 11:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHamra
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Central Coast California [Re: Slocal77]
    #25074542 - 03/19/18 12:15 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Cubensis do not grow in your area. The kinds which have been found in your area are psilocybe cyanescens and I believe psilocybe alenii. Both species grow in woodchips and will bruise blue conspicuously. The season is mostly in the late fall thru winter in your area. Some people have still been finding a few clusters of cyanescens, however, it is very late for them. It’s a little tricky posting pictures, but figure out how. Nobody will be able to tell you what you have without some good pictures. If they aren’t bruising blue then they aren’t either of the potent species in your area. There is one weak variety called paneleous Cinctulus with a black spore print, but without posting pictures we can’t identify. Another good site on the internet is mushroom observer - it’s is an open source site where people post finds from all over the world, so you can actually look at a map and see if a particular species has been found in your area. Do a bit more research on this site using the search function and figure out how to post pics and you’re in business. Chances of finding the more potent varieties are slim until next season. Welcome to the shroomery.

OfflineHamra
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Central Coast California [Re: Hamra]
    #25074551 - 03/19/18 12:20 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Looked at your home page and found the pics. They do indeed look very similar to cubensis, but those would bruise blue and are not native to west coast - they are a subtropical species and are common in the southeastern US. What you have is likely something like leratiomyces riparius. Like I said, the potent varieties available on the west coast - much more potent than cubensis - are found in areas landscapes with woodchips and generally in late fall or winter. Look up cyanescens and alenii on this site to find a shitload of great pics. Cheers.

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
Re: Central Coast California [Re: Hamra]
    #25075397 - 03/19/18 11:57 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

I'm also in San Luis Obispo. 
I've never found Cyanescens or Alenii but they are both in our area just tough to find.
With the rain we've been getting and this next storm,  the next couple of weeks may be the only time we have this year to find anything active. Or anything at all for that matter.
My spots are starting to pop Cincts. 
Just starting to see some wood lovers come up,  but nothing active yet. I will be spending every spare minute over the next 2 weeks searching like a mad man to find Ovoids, Cyans, Alenii and all manner of panaeolous... I have the best luck with panaelous Cinctulus etc...

Good luck and happy hunting.

--------------------

Invisiblebreeg89
i'll tell ya hwhat

Loc: mass
Re: Central Coast California [Re: Steveinshell]
    #25076238 - 03/19/18 07:15 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Steve, weren't you living in Alaska not too long ago?

OfflineOrigyn
Neato
Male

Loc: On 2 wheels somewhere
Re: Central Coast California [Re: breeg89]
    #25076267 - 03/19/18 07:31 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Definitely running from Johnny.    :eek:

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
Re: Central Coast California [Re: Origyn]
    #25076437 - 03/19/18 08:41 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Running from Johnny :-D

Not enough mushrooms in Alaska during the winter.  Lol I did come back to the central coast, was missing the family and decided to start my own business down here rather than in Alaska.  I need to work all year or I will do nothing but hibernate and eat psychedelics.  Which I did all winter long.

I would have stayed in touch but I had a really bad accident in September and spent 2 months in the woods hiking... searching.... uggggg hate thinking about it.
Anyways... nice to be back to normal old California.  Tripping my brains out,  working on engines...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom