Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMarshwood_Bear
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: A Mossy Cave
First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores?
    #25066500 - 03/15/18 06:38 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys,

Finally took the plunge and injected some Hualta into 8 jars (Used a bit too much on the first two jars). I PC'd the Oats at about 14-15psi for 3 hours. I did the procedure in a SAB and I made sure to wipe down the silicone and the needle before each injection- it is worth noting that the needle was short so I had to inject above the Oats against the glass.

We are now on day 6 after injecting on each jar. Out of 8 Jars, only one shows any signs of very slight growth. All other jars look totally clear or maybe have some moist looking oats here or there. However, the one jar that does display growth seems to have some black looking areas on the growth.

Does that look normal? or the start of Sporophores? How long do spores in grains usually take to start growing?

Edited by Marshwood_Bear (03/15/18 06:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarshwood_Bear
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: Marshwood_Bear]
    #25068860 - 03/16/18 02:05 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah after doing some more research I am starting to think something is amiss. It seems like people generally see more than just a little growth in a week.

I would really like a second opinion guys.

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #25068907 - 03/16/18 02:32 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Do you have GE?

OfflineMarshwood_Bear
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: Failboat]
    #25068975 - 03/16/18 02:57 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I am using polyfil wadded through. After PCing they turned slightly brownish, so I assume that was some oats steam or something evaporating out.

OfflineSkulltivator
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25068979 - 03/16/18 02:59 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Marshwood_Bear said:
We are now on day 6 after injecting on each jar. Out of 8 Jars, only one shows any signs of very slight growth. All other jars look totally clear or maybe have some moist looking oats here or there. However, the one jar that does display growth seems to have some black looking areas on the growth.

Does that look normal?

I've never worked with oats, but I've had several RB projects go well that didn't start germinating until well into the second week after inoculation. I don't think there's anything to worry about yet.

Then, on the black stuff, I once had a PF Tek project with P.C. Ecuador that resulted in a nice little harvest yet nevertheless began its germination with a black spot in the myc like the one in your jar. I don't know what it is, but it didn't ultimately become a problem. Again, I think you're fine.

For your edification, here's that PF jar with the black spot on the myc:

Edited by Skulltivator (03/17/18 11:22 AM)

OfflineMarshwood_Bear
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: Skulltivator]
    #25069155 - 03/16/18 04:13 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Phew! That is a relief, I will sit on them another week and see how they progress.

Side question: Temps in my house are in the 70f during the day, and high 60f at night. Are those temps within range for germination?

OfflineSkulltivator
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25069510 - 03/16/18 07:29 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Marshwood_Bear said:
Phew! That is a relief, I will sit on them another week and see how they progress.

Side question: Temps in my house are in the 70f during the day, and high 60f at night. Are those temps within range for germination?

Yes, that's fine. That's about where things are at in my house during the winter as well. All stages of the process will probably a little slower than if things were warmer, but if something goes drastically wrong, it's not because of that.

InvisibleGnosticAstronaut
Stranger Things
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: Skulltivator]
    #25069792 - 03/16/18 10:08 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Wait and see what happens with that but multispore on grains is tough, have you tried some agar so you can get a clean culture from spores assuming you have some left.

--------------------
"Nevertheless, I operate under the faith that there is nothing unique about me, and that anything I could experience is a generally accessible human phenomenon. I mean, I think it would be preposterous to operate under any other kind of assumption." Terence Mckenna from "The Gnostic Astronaut"

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: GnosticAstronaut]
    #25069803 - 03/16/18 10:13 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Your oats look overly wet, 3hrs is about an hour too long for cook time for oats which may account for some browning, flame the needle instead of wiping it with alcohol.

Iso unless you special order it, isn't sterile. Using a flame WILL sterilize your needle. Obviously you cant set your ship on fire so we use what we can, alcohol.

I cant tell you if that's myc yet unfortunately

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

OfflineMarshwood_Bear
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower: Oat jars stalling/Sporophores? [Re: maddchef]
    #25070893 - 03/17/18 12:59 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Good news, I am starting to sea small growth in about 3 more jars. The jar I showed above, it's growth has about doubled in size and the black doesn't seem to be spreading.

We will just have to see where the project is in another week.

When should I shake the jars to redistribute the growth? Seems like the growth is still too small to be beneficial right now.

OfflineSkulltivator
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25077279 - 03/20/18 09:30 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Marshwood_Bear said:
Good news, I am starting to sea small growth in about 3 more jars. The jar I showed above, it's growth has about doubled in size and the black doesn't seem to be spreading.

We will just have to see where the project is in another week.

When should I shake the jars to redistribute the growth? Seems like the growth is still too small to be beneficial right now.

Everyone is going to tell you something different on this. Tiger recently told me to go ahead and shake at 15%. I've seen RR say you should shake at 20%, 35%, 15-30%, 20-30%, 25-35%, and 30-40%. The precise amount is not really that important. You don't want it to be too much, but, in my experience, the more it is, the faster it recolonises. Safe bet: Less than half but a demonstrably good bit of the jar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale