Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlainswalker18
Stranger
 User Gallery
Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings
    #25046875 - 03/07/18 05:38 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Everyone,

I've gotten all of my cactus cuts to push out roots in the past by putting them in cactus soil and waiting a few weeks to a month, then when I pull the cutting out of the soil and check - Usually it has started to root.

I've got a question though about a different way of getting them to throw out roots. I have two Yowie cuts which have 1-2 inches of their bottom end wrapped firmly by a black cloth. I figured this would achieve the same thing as placing them in soil - As there is an absence of light, and the surface of the cutting is touching something.

So far, I noticed the tips of my cuttings are showing signs of new growth, but still no root being pushed out from the bottom. It's still early as I've only been doing this for a week now, but the new tip growth is encouraging.

So my question is, what do you guys think? Ever tried this method before, and does it work? I see no practical reason why it wouldn't. I remember reading somewhere on the internet where one person always used this method and it never failed for him.

The cuttings are kept inside atm leaning upright with only internal house lighting.

Thanks Guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemandrin13
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Socal
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Plainswalker18]
    #25046980 - 03/07/18 06:10 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I would suspect it doesn't hurt, if it's gonna throw roots it's gonna throw roots, but really it seems a bit unnecessary to me, do you think you are speeding it up?  Maybe you are, I have no idea, but they root so easily why bother?  Good luck, we will see how it goes I guess.

--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

OfflinePlainswalker18
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: mandrin13]
    #25046991 - 03/07/18 06:15 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

No I don't think it is speeding it up. I'm simply trying to replace sand/cactus mix medium and just use a simple black cloth to induce roots if you know what I mean.

It makes it very easy for me to check if the cutting has thrown out roots, all I have to do is remove the cloth to have a look. Minimal risk of damaging any new roots since they won't be in soil.

Once I see new roots, I then plant the cutting in proper cactus soil and leave it alone to grow.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #25047649 - 03/07/18 11:19 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Sitting the cutting upright in an empty pot pretty much does the same thing that you're doing. Using cloth or socks etc. like you are does run the chances of breaking emerging roots when you unwrap to check. This is a problem I've read about in the past, usually using socks and stockings.

Some cuttings just take a long time to put out roots. I've had some that have taken a year. It's rare but it happens.

--------------------

OfflinePlainswalker18
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: karode13]
    #25047759 - 03/08/18 12:45 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting. I've never tried to root a cutting in an empty pot. Can anyone here confirm that sitting a cutting upright in an empty pot will still allow it to push out roots?

I was always under the impression that the area where roots emerge is usually where there needs to be a lack of light and some kind of surface to touch. I assumed this is how the plant detects where the "soil" is, and thus pushes roots towards it? I have never read this anywhere though, I simply just assumed it to be the case.

Can anyone confirm if sitting a cutting upright in an empty pot allows roots to emerge in the same way as planting it in soil does?

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Plainswalker18] * 1
    #25047837 - 03/08/18 03:04 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Plainswalker18 said:
Interesting. I've never tried to root a cutting in an empty pot. Can anyone here confirm that sitting a cutting upright in an empty pot will still allow it to push out roots?

I was always under the impression that the area where roots emerge is usually where there needs to be a lack of light and some kind of surface to touch. I assumed this is how the plant detects where the "soil" is, and thus pushes roots towards it? I have never read this anywhere though, I simply just assumed it to be the case.

Can anyone confirm if sitting a cutting upright in an empty pot allows roots to emerge in the same way as planting it in soil does?

I root trich cuttings in empty clay pots in a south facing window, they do fine.

Or forget about them on a north facing window sill and this happens

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

InvisibleEl Torcho
Time for tea?
I'm a teapot

Loc: Lone Pine Hill
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #25047954 - 03/08/18 06:41 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Gravity is what dictates where the auxins and hormones needed to root are concentrated enough to send out new roots.

That's why if you buy a cut and it sends out a bunch of roots on one side of the arm, you can basically guarantee it was stored laying flat and the side with the roots was facing down.

--------------------
"Well it sounds trivial, but the key insight is . . . . . you don't know shit"
~Dennis McKenna

"There is more to human existence and to reality itself than science can ever give us access to."
~His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

OfflinePlainswalker18
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: El Torcho]
    #25050644 - 03/08/18 09:54 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Ah I see. That makes total sense now regarding the gravity!

Thanks for the feedback guys, excellent advice. I have placed the Yowies in small empty pots sitting upright for now.

I suppose another question of mine is any experience with the "log" propagation method for Bridgesiis? Is it a good idea to lay a piece on its side and let it grow in a pot like that?

I was thinking the log method is better for damaged scarred sections, at least they can turn into pup producers. However, I'm wondering if its significantly slower than upright planting or does it have any other major disadvantages?

Thanks again guys. :thumbup:

InvisibleEl Torcho
Time for tea?
I'm a teapot

Loc: Lone Pine Hill
    #25052276 - 03/09/18 03:30 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

First ever tricho I got was a log grown Peruvian, which turned out to be a Cuzco. The log was about a foot long and had 8 pups growing out of it when I got it.

I think the trade off is it may take longer for pups to show up, but you may get significantly more pups from a cutting than planting vertical.

My preferred method is to plant a cut vertical, but slice off the growing tip. This slows vegetative growth until a new pup can form and allows roots to get a head start before the pup really gets growing.

I also like to plant my well callused cuts in slightly dampened soil.

--------------------
"Well it sounds trivial, but the key insight is . . . . . you don't know shit"
~Dennis McKenna

"There is more to human existence and to reality itself than science can ever give us access to."
~His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: El Torcho]
    #25053696 - 03/10/18 05:18 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I now try to root my Trichocereus cuttings by putting them in a pot or other round container about an inch wider than the cactus on both sides.
I fill the pot with perlite 1-2 inch, stand the cutting in and then fill up with more pelite to make it stand more secure.
In some cuttings i have used a mix of dry soil and perlite in the bottom 1-2 inch and then fill up with perlite.

But you say i can just leave them in a pot without soil or perlite.
Will this affect the time it takes for the cutting to develop roots?
It sure is easier to check for new roots in no soil or perlite is used.
I keep my rooting trichs in the livingroom beside a window so they recieve a little light but not a lot.

MH, that Bridgesii cutting with roots all over, did you make a log-planting with that one?
Seems to be a perfect cutting for that with all those roots shooting out along the whole side.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Edited by Mateo (03/10/18 05:28 AM)

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Mateo] * 1
    #25053741 - 03/10/18 05:50 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
MH, that Bridgesii cutting with roots all over, did you make a log-planting with that one?
Seems to be a perfect cutting for that with all those roots shooting out along the whole side.

It was gifted to a fellow shroomerite :smile:
T. bridgesii does seem to root along the sides very easily. This one tries it every year

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Offlinemandrin13
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Socal
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Mateo]
    #25053785 - 03/10/18 06:38 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
I now try to root my Trichocereus cuttings by putting them in a pot or other round container about an inch wider than the cactus on both sides.
I fill the pot with perlite 1-2 inch, stand the cutting in and then fill up with more pelite to make it stand more secure.
In some cuttings i have used a mix of dry soil and perlite in the bottom 1-2 inch and then fill up with perlite.

But you say i can just leave them in a pot without soil or perlite.
Will this affect the time it takes for the cutting to develop roots?
It sure is easier to check for new roots in no soil or perlite is used.
I keep my rooting trichs in the livingroom beside a window so they recieve a little light but not a lot.

Yes that is basically all correct, if you leave them in a box, soil, perlite, car trunk, etc, they will eventually throw roots, some people use damp soil as they think it promotes root growth, if you are curious setup a few pots with different media and let us know.

I am a fan of perlite, I have it laying around, and it is easy to take a look at whats happening.  Outdoors it may not be thes best option as I assume it would eventually just blow all over without soil mixed in to weigh it down.

--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: mandrin13]
    #25056516 - 03/11/18 03:03 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Definitely, I'm using perlite for rooting Selenicereus right now.. Cacti apparently use the moisture in the air in the ground so it makes sense that straight perlite should be pretty good. IDK how to prevent algae on the surface though?

Hormones like IBA are hardly supposed to be useful so the best you can do it seems is to just give them healthy conditions and a rooting medium which can both provide humidity while being resistant to mold etc (on account of having no nutrients) seems pretty ideal.
That is at least until the cactus starts wanting that nutrition. I guess it is theoretically possible to provide this hydroponically or aero / fog-ponically but if you use hydro it would likely have to be a trickle system that keeps the medium moist rather than submerging which just doesn't seem right for such a cactus.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: Solipsis]
    #25056993 - 03/11/18 07:25 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

It feels logical that a little moisture in the medium under the cactus to be rooted should be good.
But im afraid of rot and as these Trichos im rooting right now is my first larger ones i dont want to take chanses.
If i dont get roots in some time i will try moisten the soil/perlite mix under the trichos a little to see if it helps.
I guess it´s a waiting game that need to take it´s time.

--------------------

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25057040 - 03/11/18 07:44 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

When I root cuttings I try to keep the soil dry but that hardly happens. They get the occasional over spray of the hose or rain. I guess I'm trying to say that a bit of moisture wont kill them while rooting.

--------------------

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
    #25057809 - 03/12/18 07:12 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
It feels logical that a little moisture in the medium under the cactus to be rooted should be good.
But im afraid of rot and as these Trichos im rooting right now is my first larger ones i dont want to take chanses.
If i dont get roots in some time i will try moisten the soil/perlite mix under the trichos a little to see if it helps.
I guess it´s a waiting game that need to take it´s time.

It's not moisture itself causing rot but the conditions it may create for harmfull microbes, combined with a lack of good microbes

for example if you have a pool of water in the bottom of container with no outside access for competition to enter, the stuff that got in this pool may multiply fast

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: DualWieldRake]
    #25058889 - 03/12/18 05:31 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Thats true.

And that is the big problem with indoor growing, lack of natural preditors for bugs and good microbes and bacteria in the growing medium.
I love growing indoors and i hate it.
When my working days are over i will head directly for warmer climate.

--------------------

Offlinesherlockeddoor
Good bloke

#25061738 - 03/13/18 10:48 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I promise you the old folklore about keeping cuttings dry until they throw roots is simply not correct.

YES, you do need to keep it dry for about a week after cutting to callous up properly; but NO you don't need to withold watering once you've potted it up. I got suckered into that propaganda with my first few cuttings, until I saw a guy document (with pictures) two side by side cuttings of the same clone - specifically to test this piece of 'knowledge'. One cutting was watered as normal with his other plants, the other wasn't watered until it had thrown some roots. Once it had, he pulled them both out of their pots to compare, and the cutting that HAD been watered had a very solid rootball already, compared to the unwatered cut that had a few mere flimsy roots.

Every single cutting I've gotten since then I've done the same thing: make sure it's calloused, plant it up, start watering immediately. They root up much faster, and start pumping out the growth.

I know this isn't what you were really asking Plainswalker, you were asking about the black cloth thing, but you also said you pot them up once they've thrown roots. I would save yourself the extra steps and hassle, pot them up from the get go, and start your normal watering regimen. After a few weeks just gently try to pull it out of the soil and if you feel resistance, then it's put out roots. I honestly don't bother checking for roots anymore, I just water them and they grow. Never lost a single cutting to rot.

If you really wanted to go crazy, you could do your own side-by-side test with them? Prove it for yourself and spread the word! Perfect situation to do so, two cuttings of the same clone - which happens to be a super fast grower too.

*I should also note as I'm not sure where you live, only do this during the growing season, don't try to root cuttings in winter (although you said you were getting new growth at the tip so sounds like you're fine). And obviously, make sure you're using a nice free draining soil mix as always.

--------------------
“Reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.” - Terence McKenna

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Promoting Root Growth on Trichocereus Cuttings [Re: sherlockeddoor]
    #25061846 - 03/14/18 12:54 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I do agree that watering well callused cuttings once planted works. I do it myself, although I don't water them too often. I need to update the Tek I wrote years ago for rooting Trichocereus. In it, it says to keep dry. Lower down in the comments I stated, years after writing it, that this wasn't totally necessary. I was once a n00b too and I've learnt quite a bit since writing that article. I do suggest that people starting out to still keep the soil dry, learn the plants and how they respond in your environment. From there you tweak things to your growing conditions. People living in humid, wet environments, like Florida, should probably keep them dry to avoid rot issues.

The key point to all of this is to have a good callus. This is thickened tissue and it helps act as a barrier. Not callusing sufficiently and watering will likely cause you problems. Not always but why take the chance with rare cuts or newly acquired genetics.

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
    #25071346 - 03/17/18 03:58 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

One thing I’ve noticed that speeds up rooting is to gently remove all the spines, areoles, and a thin layer of the outer most skin on the bottom 1-2 inches above your cut. This gives it a lot more surface area to root from.

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom