Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

First successful King Oyster grow! * 2
    #24978234 - 02/09/18 09:08 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Introducing the ghettorig 2000 (my basement shower)

I turned my shower into a FC for edibles by removing the shower door, putting a zipper plastic tarp door in place, and covering the top with a sheet of plastic too, then sealing it with aluminium cold weather tape. Then I disassembled some closet shelves and put some of it inside for shelving and used part of it on the outside to hold three 6500 daylight florescent lightbulbs. I also stuck an SGFC in there where I will probably fruit shiitakes, and a huge bag + some trays and other containers of perlite. I also threw in some plants for fun! My theory is that they help cycle the air.

It works great as a temporary setup, maintains 80-90% humidity and 60 degrees. It's cold so if I open the window in the bathroom I can lower the temperature as well. Here is some pictures of the fruits so far. These were started on straight rye, then moved to mycobags with Sawdust, woodchip, paper and bran substrate. Some are mutating slightly , so maybe I have to get my nutrient ratios better. I also had a lot of problems with side pinning before I got the FC dialed in properly but they seem to be going now.

Some of the bags were started later and are only just pinning.
I think I will harvest some of the bigger ones today! It's hard to spot when they stop growing.

:biggrin::thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXerbia
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: freddyincognito]
    #24978632 - 02/09/18 12:40 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Nice job man!

I have 5 fully colonized sawdust blocks of kings currently im having trouble with getting them to fruit.

I think it's probably too hot for them so I put them outside where it gets down to 50f at night.

Any suggestions on getting them to pin?

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: Xerbia]
    #24978747 - 02/09/18 01:48 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Looking good!

--------------------
🅂🄸🄶🄼🄰

Helpful Threads
stonesun
Mycolorado’s Tamp Fruit Project
Tampanensis Grow with Mycolorado
bw86's Jalisco Grow

Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24978768 - 02/09/18 01:55 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks! Mine took a while from full colonization to pinning. Maybe 1-2 weeks. I also noticed bottom pinning first so check for that. But mine got started in 60-70 degree F temps.
If it's been one or two weeks already, you could try opening the bag up and putting them in their FC if you haven't already. Most of mine started fruiting full force once they got the FAE.

OfflineXerbia
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24979395 - 02/09/18 06:38 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

freddyincognito said:
Thanks! Mine took a while from full colonization to pinning. Maybe 1-2 weeks. I also noticed bottom pinning first so check for that. But mine got started in 60-70 degree F temps.
If it's been one or two weeks already, you could try opening the bag up and putting them in their FC if you haven't already. Most of mine started fruiting full force once they got the FAE.

Just checked the bottom of my bags, and sure enough there looks to be some bottom pinning going on. What did you do about this?

Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24979650 - 02/09/18 09:01 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I carefully pulled mine out of the bags and took off the pins, and folded the bags down which was kind of a hassle. Then bottom watered them by pouring some regular cold tap water into the bags, and put the blocks back inside which was also kind of difficult. I think opening the bags earlier once the blocks are fully colonized and making sure that the conditions are right is the best way to prevent it, and if you think they're drying out maybe try bottom watering before you see pins so you don't ever have to pull the substrate out of the bag.

InvisibleUFO
ᴳᵃʳᵈᶰᵉʳ
Male

Loc: Interior Earth
    #24985961 - 02/11/18 01:20 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Nice work, I like the setup... Working with what you have to make something great

:farmerdance:

Offlineblahblahblah22
Stranger

Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: UFO]
    #24987988 - 02/12/18 02:20 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

that is some beautiful afro engineering. and beautiful fruits.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: blahblahblah22]
    #24993753 - 02/14/18 11:57 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Nice grow dude :heart:

And I dig the telepod setup lol! Growing plants in the same unit is something I'd like to try too! But I think there may be the issue that either the mushrooms or the plants have a much faster gas metabolism than the other relatively speaking... so to really make it work you would possibly need to grow slightly awkward proportions..

On the other hand, if one tends to be in excess then it seems like the other one is likely to be very happy?

Growing Kings too at the moment! On the tail end of my first time basically... dunked my sawdust / woodchip blocks a bit and they are hopefully mounting a flush..
Also got some growing on my living room table in a grow-it-yourself dome and bucket, on grains only. It's not supposed to be a smart thing to do but the bucked has fruited nicely outside in the cold and is now going for another run. Lot of side-pinning though.

You have only perlite humidifying everything right now? What is temporary about the setup and what are you planning? :laugh:

OfflineHumbled
Local Budtender
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: Solipsis]
    #24996039 - 02/15/18 09:17 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Where do you take showers?

Haha, very cool. That's the first I've seen a Shower FC anywhere! Those Kings look nice too.

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_

Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: Humbled]
    #24997241 - 02/15/18 06:46 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite and misting only! It's temporary because unless I can figure out a better way to secure everything, it slowly falls apart as the tape gets damp or moved around too much. So I've been maintaining it every few days and its been needing misting more often.
So far I've had 2 full flushes and I'm hoping for a third but now I'm having some moisture issues. I also bottom watered them all which helped, and dumped new water on the perlite.

I have two more showers for humans! :biggrin: if I figure out the issues with this one I could use it like this as long as I want

OfflineHumbled
Local Budtender
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24998297 - 02/16/18 08:49 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

freddyincognito said:

I have two more showers for humans! :biggrin: if I figure out the issues with this one I could use it like this as long as I want

I hope you are able to figure something out then cuz this is pretty cool and unique.

Would you be able to use something like silicone to seal it up instead?

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_

OfflineWestfjordur
Searcher
Female User Gallery
Loc: Iceland Flag
Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: Humbled]
    #24998587 - 02/16/18 11:21 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

This is extremely cool! I love the idea of using a shower.

--------------------
Clothes I wear for mushroom hunting are rarely sent to the cleaner. They constitute a collection of odors I produce and gather while rambling in the woods.

-John Cage

Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: First successful King Oyster grow! [Re: Westfjordur]
    #25014488 - 02/22/18 08:35 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I got myself some loc-tite adhesive in a tube to attempt to stick the plastic on better. I'll update with some pics if it helps my humidity issue.

Offlinefreddyincognito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#25031342 - 03/01/18 10:09 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

It's working now @ 90% humidity! It was actually liquid nails adhesive. I'll upload some pictures later. But I stuffed some myco bags absolutely packed a few weeks ago and inoculated them with more oysters. I'm getting really lucky with great pins all over the top at 90% colonization before opening the bag. Perfect timing to cut them open and put them in the FC. Here's some pics

Some of the older blocks stopped fruiting now after only 1 flush, and two smaller bags haven't even fruited. They look sort of yellow and unhealthy but are occasionally throwing some pins on the sides. I've dunked them already and there is plenty of humidity, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Either they weren't properly colonized before opening them or the dryness from before killed them. :shrug: oh well. I'll upload pics of the next successful flush

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck