Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis * 1
    #24667483 - 09/28/17 03:36 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.ibtimes.com/archaeologists-find-lost-ancient-greek-temple-goddess-artemis-2594658

Quote:

It took more than 100 years of searching but archaeologists have finally found a lost temple to the ancient Greek goddess Artemis.

The Greek Ministry of Culture reported that a team has found the remains of the sanctuary near Amarynthos, a coastal town a couple of dozen miles northeast of Athens on the large Greek island of Euboea. Scientists and historians have spent more than a century looking for what is left of the temple, but an ancient text with inaccurate directions threw them off the trail.

A geographer named Strabo, who was born during the first century BCE and died in the first century AD, had written a book describing the temple as being 7 stades — an ancient Greek measurement that is the equivalent to about 1 mile — from the city Eretria. That city is another coastal area on the island Euboea, to the west of the fishing town Amarynthos. But the culture ministry said the temple to Artemis was actually found 60 stades away from Eretria, or about 6.8 miles.

One stade was the length of the footrace in the ancient Greek Olympic games and is the origin of the modern word “stadium,” where such races are currently run.

Searches using Strabo’s directions had failed to turn up any evidence of the sanctuary since the 19th century. But according to BBC News, a Swiss archaeologist on the current search team suggested the directions were wrong when he found that a Byzantine church located at the longer distance from Eretria contained stones that may have been reused from a Greek building dating to the time of the temple’s use. The team instead started to dig at the base of a hill near Amarynthos, 6.8 miles from Eretria.

They found a gallery from the northern and eastern parts of the temple that dated to the 4th century BCE, and further digging has found the “core of the sanctuary” and confirmed that the ruins are the site of the old temple, the ministry reported. The sanctuary is considered one of the most important in the island’s history.

During their excavation work, the archaeologists have found pieces from across the centuries, between the 6th and 2nd centuries BCE, including an underground fountain.

There are also inscriptions at the site with the name Artemis.

According to the ancient Greek mythology, Artemis was the daughter of Zeus, the ruler of all the gods and the god of the sky who is most well-known for wielding lightning bolts as a weapon. She was the goddess of chastity, hunting, the moon and nature, as well as a protector of women in childbirth. With all of these qualities, she was a popular deity.

Artemis’ brother was Apollo, the archer and the god of music and healing, and the daughter of Leto, with whom Zeus had the children outside of his marriage to the goddess Hera. Inscriptions referring to both Leto and Apollo were also found at the newly discovered ruins of the Amarynthos temple.

In addition to those other connections, Artemis was a hunting companion of Orion, who has been immortalized with one of the most famous constellations in the night sky.

The ancient Roman equivalent of the goddess Artemis was Diana.

The culture ministry refers to the recently rediscovered temple as being dedicated to Artemis Amarysia, with the second name being a sort of adopted surname of the goddess.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: musiclover420]
    #24667508 - 09/28/17 03:43 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Wouldn't it be dope to be a part of that crew.  I wonder what all they're finding over there...

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: Amanita86]
    #24667532 - 09/28/17 03:48 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Wouldn't it be dope to be a part of that crew.  I wonder what all they're finding over there...

It would be amazing, imagine seeing that underground fountain back in it's prime as well :crazy2:

I find ancient temples really fascinating for some reason, I can't even imagine all the crazy stuff that went down at some of these places :eek:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: musiclover420] * 2
    #24667609 - 09/28/17 04:09 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

All those gods and whatnot sound more like ancient aliens to me :ancientaliens:

--------------------
If I wasn't spirit_shadow I'd want to be spirit_shadow.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: spirit_shadow]
    #24667665 - 09/28/17 04:22 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

spirit_shadow said:
All those gods and whatnot sound more like ancient aliens to me :ancientaliens:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing :lol:

Wasn't Olympus a mountaintop city that rose into the sky? And didn't some Greek gods ride "flaming chariots" through the sky?

Zeus shooting lightning bolts sounds a lot like some form of advanced weaponry. I like to think many myths are at least partially based on truths that get distorted over the years.

There's a really great classic anime movie called Lupin III - The Secret of Mamo which has an interesting theory in it:

Basically an ancient being perfected cloning in the past and lived through the generations guiding/ influencing mankind.

--------------------

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: musiclover420]
    #24667729 - 09/28/17 04:39 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

If you have ever watched the video of philip shneider he claims they can supposedly shoot electricity type shit from their appendages which sounds a lot like what zeus was doing :shrug:

--------------------
If I wasn't spirit_shadow I'd want to be spirit_shadow.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

Edited by spirit_shadow (09/28/17 04:40 PM)

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: spirit_shadow] * 1
    #24667763 - 09/28/17 04:53 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

time to hunt some things.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #24667829 - 09/28/17 05:17 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

spirit_shadow said:
If you have ever watched the video of philip shneider he claims they can supposedly shoot electricity type shit from their appendages which sounds a lot like what zeus was doing :shrug:

Assuming there are more advanced life forms out there it seems plausible they would have a great understanding and control over electricity :shrug:

We still have a lot to learn about our own electromagnetic fields. I remember reading a NDE story about Tesla where he was electrocuted and almost died, it only lasted a few seconds but he experienced a very psychedelic like time dilation where it felt like an eternity. Haven't been able to find the story since so I am fuzzy on the details but it's some interesting stuff :strokebeard:

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
time to hunt some things.

My old wolf hybrid Sweetie looked a lot like those wolves :heart:

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #24667880 - 09/28/17 05:38 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

ohhhh....yeah, they are a very beautiful breed.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24667883 - 09/28/17 05:39 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

There's actually a hot spring bath in Britain that the Romans brought over. A lot of swords and shields from that age can be found in their lakes. They would offer their weapons to their water Gods by chucking them into the lake like King Arthur and their churches were built on docks inside of lakes

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

#24668725 - 09/29/17 12:48 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
My old wolf hybrid Sweetie looked a lot like those wolves :heart:

Got pics?  I'm a bit of a fan.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Archaeologists Find Lost Ancient Greek Temple Of Goddess Artemis [Re: Amanita86]
    #24668732 - 09/29/17 12:52 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Here's the only pic I could find offhand:

She was a great dog, amazingly sweet but very feisty. She had a super human like personality :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

#24668735 - 09/29/17 12:56 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Dope, what are the mixes do you know?  I know most are crossed with Siberian huskies but every now and then I get a sneaking suspicion some people cross timbers with German shepherds, which if true would make a Einstein level problem solving animal.

--------------------

Invisiblevenetianblinds
cabbage

Loc: Flag
    #24668773 - 09/29/17 01:38 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Alani

"Hunting dogs," Greek name for the Scythian tribes who wor-
shipped Artemis as their Divine Huntress. The name Alan still carried
the original Greek meaning of a hunting dog when it became popular
among the Scots during the Middle Ages. Artemis was often called the
Great Bitch, and her hunting priestesses were the "sacred bitches"
who chased, killed, and consumed boar-gods and stag-gods like Phorcis
or Actaeon. Thus, to Christians, "son of a bitch" meant a devil
worshiper that is, a pagan devotee of the Goddess.

--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#24668799 - 09/29/17 02:08 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Dope, what are the mixes do you know?  I know most are crossed with Siberian huskies but every now and then I get a sneaking suspicion some people cross timbers with German shepherds, which if true would make a Einstein level problem solving animal.

Pretty sure Sweetie was a wolf/ white shepherd hybrid or something, but people also said she looked part samoyed which is another white herding dog.

She was pretty wild in her younger days, when we first got her she was going to get put down for killing chickens out in the country near where she was abandoned.

My grandma bought a house in the country that had 3 dogs abandoned on the property, one of which was Sweetie. She was the pack leader and got them into a bunch of trouble.

But after years in a good home she became a great dog, she was very protective and proud.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale