Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
A question for the science nerds.
    #2455578 - 03/20/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

Lately I've been expermenting with the penis envy strain. I grew this one last year, and it's great and all, but I never really studied it. Now, I'm a bit fascinated with this 'strain'. I called it 'strain' because I'm not so sure that 'species' wouldn't be the better term. The reason I asked for science nerds is I need someone with access to a GC to run some tests.

Look closely at the PE fruits. I'll post pix if anyone needs me to. There is no veil. Cubies, as we all know, have veils. Also, most cubensis produce spores. However, Azurescens don't have veils. I'm curious if PE is the (in)famous Cubensis/Azurescens hybrid we've all read exists? The caps look more like azures than cubies. The stems are snow white like azures. Only 5%-10% will produce spores the way you would expect from a hybrid. However, if you look from a distance, they look like cubies.

My question is if someone with a GC could take a few cubies and a few azures to establish a baseline on the GC, could you then take a PE and see if it fell somewhere down the middle? This isn't my field of expertise, so if someone who knows these things could set me straight, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'd like answers. I have dried azures and dried cubies available, so if you have a GC and are qualified to run these tests, lets get to the bottom of this.
RR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2456617 - 03/21/04 06:09 AM (20 years, 2 days ago)

What is a GC ?

Offlinecreekfarmer
cultivator
Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: ragadinks]
    #2456666 - 03/21/04 06:46 AM (20 years, 2 days ago)

Gas chromatograph

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2458395 - 03/21/04 07:55 PM (20 years, 2 days ago)

IMHO, no need for a GC. The Penis Envy is well known to be a mutant, therefore showing deformities or traits not common to the species at large (lack of veil). Also, reduced or non-existant spore production is a common trait of mutant strains. Allegedly the mutation first showed from an amazonian strain, then was bred stable. I feel pretty confident in this much. Not quite so certain in my mind is that the amazonian strain which first produced the mutant was one which was brought back by the McKenna brothers from their 1971 jungle expedition which can be read about in their fascinating book True Hallucinations. It is also rumured that the penis envy was Terrence Mckenna's personal favorite strain. Being a fan of McKenna and the penis envy, I'd like for that to be true, I'm just not certain that it is.

I've been a fan of the penis envy for some time, hunting down a relatively obscure supplier (spores and magic) years ago, before it was carried by any of our online vendors. I also have a pretty big interest in knowing the history of strains/vendors/etc so I've paid as much attention to these things as I can.

MJ might be able to flesh the details out a little more as he has my same interest in origins and histories, but is a professional at it rather than just a hobbyist like myself.

Although I see your points, Akham's Razor puts it's weight strongly in the mutated cubensis camp rather than the impossibly complicated cube/azure hybrid camp. (Akham's Razor states that all things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one).

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: mycofile]
    #2458540 - 03/21/04 08:37 PM (20 years, 2 days ago)

Yea, I was just wondering. It 'looks' like an azure in some respects other than size. The trip is similar as well. I don't understand how if it were a mutant, it would reproduce the same 'mutant' each time from spores. It just seems there is something they're not telling us. Maybe not..lol. It's an awesome strain though. The only cubensis that doesn't make me want to puke on high doses.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2459770 - 03/22/04 09:36 AM (20 years, 1 day ago)

I doubt it's something they aren't telling us, but we may not know the whole story. If it did come from McKenna, that dude loves to tell his stories so I'm sure he would have shared as much info as possible, especially if it were a hybrid. McKenna was a philosopher and a relatively mediocre cultivator (grew on cased grain IN quart jars). I doubt he had the skills to intentionally create a hybrid. Also, if the strain did originate from the Amazon, there aren't any azures down there for it to be a "natural" hybrid.

Mutations can and do become true breeding, quite often in fact. It's all a reduced gene pool, sometimes created by geography, sometimes through breeding, sometimes by chance.

Just sharing my understanding though, please feel free to explore the subject as the experiments would be interesting to follow whether they reveal a regular cube, a subspecies, a hybrid, or a mutation of some sort.

Good luck.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#2459786 - 03/22/04 09:53 AM (20 years, 1 day ago)

there is a strain I been playing with some times that forms like 500 pins to a casing only five or so make it past a couple inches. But they have no veil and very small caps. Super freaks. The caps eather have such a small tight veil that the break very early on or just no veil.

And to form a hybrid wouldnt you need to only take a few spores from two strains, add to a vial with water. Dilute in water about ten or so times to seperate vials. And then take each diluted spore solution and add to pitri dishes. Then hopefully the spores that germanate where bred from the two starting strains. But could also be of the same strain I guess. I wounder how inter species mating of this nature would fare?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: ]
    #2460090 - 03/22/04 12:21 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

Like this?

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: Anno]
    #2460561 - 03/22/04 02:46 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

FAROUT
Way to go.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Anonymous

#2460581 - 03/22/04 02:52 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

Ha ha ha yes exactly like that but a lil skinyer :crazy:.  Might not be getting optimal gas exchange I suppose or maybe low temps.  Whats your story Anno? Is it just a wierd isolate?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: A question for the science nerds. [Re: ]
    #2463357 - 03/23/04 09:58 AM (20 years, 17 hours ago)

A couple of years ago I inoculated sterilized pine cones with a P. azurescens syringe.
After a long time mycelium began to grow on them, and a fruit appeared. I thought it was P. azurescens, although it looked rather like P. cubensis, I cloned the mushroom, and grew it out on grain and cased the grain.
The result were the above mushrooms, a PF classic strain that somehow managed to get into the pine cones jar.

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
    #2463997 - 03/23/04 02:14 PM (20 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
A couple of years ago I inoculated  sterilized pine cones with a P. azurescens syringe.
After a long time mycelium began to grow on them, and a fruit appeared. I thought it was P. azurescens, although it looked rather like P. cubensis, I cloned the mushroom, and grew it out on grain and cased the grain.
The result were the above mushrooms, a PF classic strain that somehow managed to get into the pine cones jar.

LOL.. i bet your house's ventilation is one big spore print ! :lol:!!!..

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures