Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files
    #2449805 - 03/18/04 11:23 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Ok this has been discussed in many threads before...but i just decided to make one big thread out of it for convenience.

It would be nice to have this as a sticky in The Pub so we can have a constant reminder and easy to find place on where to go and what to do in the prosess of finding good live shows.

After all we want everyone to have the most painless experience to getting in touch with the Grateful Dead as possible? This way we wont have to explain things a million time (which i dont mind) and people wont have to waste there time askin questions when the information is right there.

anyways here we go

www.gdlive.com is the main source to get all the live shows.

also www.nugs.net and http://db.etree.org/ has some

you can download stuff by just going to the site but it is much more convenient to use an FTP (file transfer protocol) client to do the downloading.

This way you can just highlight all the file/folders you want..tell it to download and go to bed or something.

for you mac users go here

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

and for the pc users go here

http://www.flashfxp.com/

these are trial programs and if you hve the money and use it a lot then please pay them for the wonderful work they have done. On the other hand if you broke like me. just go here

http://astalavista.box.sk

search for those programs and make sure its for the right version. Also be sure to scan it for viruses before running it.

now download that and install the ftp client.

When youre done with that, run it and find where it tells you to put in the address of the ftp and all that stuff.

Dont worry about the port, leave it on 21. Thats the stadard port for most FTPs.

go here http://www.gdlive.com/ftp.asp for mp3s

or here http://www.gdlive.com/shnftp.asp for shns

See those lists of adresses? Just copy the corresponding one you want into the ftp program and push connect. You should see and bunch of folders with the numbers that correspond to the dates of the sets. Just highlight whatever you want to download and push download. Pay attention to what folder its downloading into.

If you were downloading MP3s then hen its finished run your preffered music program (i like winamp www.winamp.com for windows and itunes for macs) and go to the folder that you downloaded them into and highlight all of the and open them or que it up or whatever. They should work fine.

If you were downloading SHNs then for windows go here.

http://www.etree.org/shncom.html
http://www.u2shn.com/shnfaq.php

these will tell you the basic in and outs of the SHN file format. Masically is a "lossless" format. What that means is its like a zip file or something in that it makes the files smaller than the origional WAV file but still preserves all the information so you dont loose and quality. An MP3 is a "lossy" file type that compresses the files ever smaller my taking out bits and peices of the song that you cant normally hear unless you really know what your listening too. And of course if anyone knows what there listening to its the DeadHeads.

you can get a plugin for winamp to play the shn files but they are most of the time converted back to .wav files and burned to a cd and you will have perfect quality cd that you can play on anything. You can play the .wav file directly on your computer but these files are huge and you will probably want to archive the shn files to cds after burning the wavs to audio cds. This also makes it a lot easier to trading shows with other heads and such.

first you will need to make sure you have the newest version of shorten on your computer. (i dont know if this is nessasary for using dbpoweramp but id do it jsut for good measure)

download this > http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shorten/binary/windows/shorten-3.5.1.zip

unzip it
if you have windows 95/98/me put the .dll and .exe files in here > c:\windows\command

if you are using windows nt/2000/xp stick them in c:\windows\system32
or if you have c:\winnt\system32 use that...just depends on what filesystem your using.

ok now download and install this

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

and then download and install the .shn codec for it

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-shorten.htm

use this to convert them to .wav files for burning purposes

now if you want to play them on your computer as-is then download this plug-in for you corresponding version of winamp. (hint: winamp 3 sucks get rid of it and use 2 or 5)

http://www.etree.org/shnamp.html

for a mac its less involved

just go here

http://www.etree.org/macos.html

they will point you to all the stuff i mentioned above for the pc but for the mac instead. It should be pretty self-explanitory. You need the newest version of shorten..and something that will convert the files to .wav

hope that helps

if you need anymore help just ask...and if anyone needs some step by step help feel free to msg me on aim at Vulture681

:heartpump: :gd_icon: PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL! :gd_icon: :heartpump:

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: Vulture]
    #2449950 - 03/18/04 11:51 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

:mushroom2::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::mushroom2:

Make this thread a sticky. This is a must.
Theres nothing really to say.
Great post man.

Peace and Love

:mushroom2::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::heart::gd_icon::mushroom2:

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: psikooz]
    #2450165 - 03/19/04 12:27 AM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Thanks!!!!!!!.

:gd_icon: :gd_icon: :gd_icon:

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: Dankman]
    #2450267 - 03/19/04 12:45 AM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Hey guys Vulture deserves 5 shrooms.

Spread the love!

:heartpump: :gd_icon: :heartpump:

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: Dankman]
    #2451447 - 03/19/04 12:05 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

*bump* for the morning crowd

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2451860 - 03/19/04 02:29 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Yeah... this should DEFENATLEY be a sticky!  Wooohooo!  I've been stressing my ass off with those shn's all day, thanks a million for this thread!  I'm joining trendal and giving tgd a listen.  I've downloaded there stuff before but only studio songs and some covers.  Like I said, thanks a million vulture! :thumbup:
Now I'm finally getting to here the all famous "Fire on the mountain" which is so much talked about from 77/05/25!
I got cd's burn... anybody reccomend a collection or sets that would be a good start for a grateful dead newbie?

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: filthysock]
    #2451872 - 03/19/04 02:35 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

YAY! i cant even express the amount of joy i get just from helping people out with somehting as small as this :smile: You guys rock! :gd_icon:

but yeah try downloading those that ripple mentioned in his thread of shows that he went to. cant go wrong with 77.

--------------------

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #2451884 - 03/19/04 02:43 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

http://gdlive.com/shn/gd69-03-02.shnf/

i recomend that HIGHLY... disc 1 is so awesome... like, awesome. the second set, disc 2&3 arent nearly as good as set 1, but still great.

along with this show too

http://gdlive.com/shn/gd69-02-27new.shnf/

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files [Re: Phychotron]
    #2452617 - 03/19/04 06:48 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

yo!

check out this forum for a lot of interesting shit!

http://www.phishhook.com/board/index.jsp

--------------------

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN f [Re: Vulture]
    #2551344 - 04/12/04 12:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, Vulture. Thank you very much for putting this guide together :grin:. I have a quick question about Transmit 1.7 for you :smirk:. I cannot seem to get to ftp://gdlive.com/shn w/out a name and password and was wondering if you knew what to enter for these. Thanks again.
-Che
2nd vote for sticky status cast.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2551517 - 04/12/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Great work Vulture!  :gd_icon:

The people have spoken so this thread will take it's rightful place atop the forum! :cool:

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN f [Re: Ripple]
    #2551555 - 04/12/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i was wondering who stuck this
great thread

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2551757 - 04/12/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I got a great program from www.furthurnet.org (in the other tools section) called MKW Audio Compression Toolkit... you can convert from shn > Wav, wav > shn, wav > mp3. My computer is too old to hold many shns, but sometimes the shows at gdlive.com are missing a track or two, so you have to find them - but luckily you can often find them in the shn archives! So check out this program as well... not sure if it is the same as anything they link to at etree. Thanks for all the good advice, Vulture! And let me recommend to any Dead newbies May 7th, 8th, and 9th 1977. Beautiful! :gd_icon:

--------------------

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #2552704 - 04/12/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I've been snagging a lot of shows from the http://www.archive.org live music database. They claim to have over 10,000 live shows being served on their site. They have a growing collection of Dead, and many many many other smaller "tape friendly" bands. You can write little reviews for the shows and post them. Most shows are offered in a lossless format like SHN or FLAC, but some of the more popular shows have been converted to MP3 or Ogg files for folks with slower connections. I burn all the shows to audio discs, and then archive the SHN files on DVDr for future trading purposes.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN f [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #2553263 - 04/13/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Che_Night_Soil said:
Hey, Vulture. Thank you very much for putting this guide together :grin:. I have a quick question about Transmit 1.7 for you :smirk:. I cannot seem to get to ftp://gdlive.com/shn w/out a name and password and was wondering if you knew what to enter for these. Thanks again.
-Che
2nd vote for sticky status cast.

it should have the login/password as anonymous. For the FTP anyways if thats what you were talking about.

:gd_icon:

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2553525 - 04/13/04 06:33 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Vulture have you ever used GetRight for segmented downloading? It was working well for me but now I need something else because it's not working any more.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #2553680 - 04/13/04 08:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah (FTP), when I enter anonymous as the username, I get a "non-anonymous users must use password" message. And when I enter anonymous as the password as well, I get denied access. :crazy:. Thanks, Vulture.
-Che

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN f [Re: Ripple]
    #2553770 - 04/13/04 08:52 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
Hey Vulture have you ever used GetRight for segmented downloading? It was working well for me but now I need something else because it's not working any more.

FlashGet... it works wonders. Only annoying part is when downloading from FTP sites, you have to open the site in your browser, right click on each individual file, say properties, copy the location of the file... then FlashGet will pop up a window where you can save the file. But it really works much better than GetRight ever did for me.

http://www.amazesoft.com/download.htm go here for the file

If you have troubles getting it to work with ftp://gdlive.com/dead send me a PM or hit me on MSN messenger and I can try to help you out.

:gd_icon:

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN f [Re: Krishna]
    #2554870 - 04/13/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i use download accelerator plus for my web based downloads.

any about the password thing. There should be a check box in the FTP program that you check that says anonymous.

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2560519 - 04/14/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

no need to use trialware or cracked FTP client. Use FileZilla - its opensource, secure, and always free.

Quote:

FileZilla: Free and Secure FTP

If you create websites, own a server, or maintain a system in the next office or halfway around the world, you're probably familiar with file transfer protocol (FTP). FTP lets users transfer files from one system to another. It's an old protocol by Internet standards.

FileZilla is a powerful FTP client for Windows 9x, Me, NT4, 2000, and XP. It is designed to support as many features as possible while remaining easy to use, fast, and reliable.

Why FileZilla is so popular

Although there are a number of FTP clients available for Windows, FileZilla has become very popular over the past two years because of its ease-of-use, low price (free!), and high-end feature set.

These features include all of the following.

-Ability to resume uploads and downloads if the server supports it
-A folder-based SiteManager with drag-and-drop functionality
-The KeepAlive system, which ensures the connection isn't idle long enough to be automatically terminated
-Time-out detection
-Firewall support
-SOCKS 4, SOCKS 5, and HTTP 1.1 proxy support
- Upload and download queues
-Multi-language support
-GSS (generic security service) authentication and encryption using Kerberos
-Secure SSL (secure sockets layer) connections
-SFTP support

More secure than most FTP clients

Historically, a major problem with FTP is that the protocol is unencrypted. All data sent in a file transfer, including the password(!), is sent in the clear. This makes it very easy for a hacker to "sniff" a password and break into the system.

FTP's inherent insecurity is one reason why many system administrators don't support the service on their systems.

FileZilla, however, supports not only the standard FTP protocol, but also SFTP (secure FTP). SFTP uses encryption to transfer files securely over the Net. To handle the encryption, SFTP incorporates SCP (Secure CoPy), part of the SSH (Secure Shell) package available on most Unix/Linux systems.

If you're transferring files to a server that supports SSH, then SFTP is the best way to transfer the files. FileZilla handles file transfers very transparently, and the server doesn't have to have an FTP server or FTP daemon running. If the server supports SSH, you can connect to it using FileZilla and start transferring files with its easy-to-use interface.

The rise of FileZilla

FileZilla is an excellent open-source success story. The program was started two years ago in Germany by a computer science student named Tim Kosse. While working on his degree, Kosse started to write a simple FTP program for a class assignment. After the class was completed, Kosse continued to improve upon the code base. Eventually he chose to host it on SourceForge.net. With feedback and support from the open-source community, Kosse's code and FileZilla's feature set continued to improve.

Today, FileZilla has a thriving user base and a large community of devotees around the world. The project is now ranked in the top 15 of 70,000 open-source projects on SourceForge.net. It regularly has more than 4,000 downloads daily.

As is the case with all open-source projects on SourceForge.net, FileZilla is free and available for download. The source code is also available to download and modify.

Kosse has recently been writing a FileZilla FTP server for Windows. This project lets any Windows server be an FTP server. The FileZilla server program is also available for download on SourceForge.net.

Patrick McGovern is the director of SourceForge.net, a development and download portal with more than 70,000 software projects. SourceForge is the world's largest open-source development website.

FileZilla can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale