Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleflyontoast
Farming food; farming time
 User Gallery

Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics)
    #24424661 - 06/21/17 06:22 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Inspired by all the people sharing their builds, I've decided to post mine. Granted, I'll need more help than I can offer :wink:
My main limiting factor with this build is that I am on rented land and almost certainly will be moving in winter or spring. So this build has to be quite self-contained and a crane truck has to be able to pick it up and put it on a flatbed for delivery.
I am in the PWN, get freezing winters, and hope to fruit in this for 8-10 months of the year.

Going to fruit oysters, possibly king, lion's mane, and a few others experiments.
Very open to all sorts of advice and suggestions. While I don't have the budget for it now, if this season goes well, I hope to have it as independent as an RV, with a heat pump and a front addition that can accommodate a lab.
It's 18x8x7', aluminum construction and metal floor. Paid $1200 CAD delivered. Planning to fruit in 10 feet and incubate in the other 8 feet.

It came with a working liftgate that I don't need/want, so hoping to sell it. It also made dropping it off a pain in the ass, so I want it gone before we move.

I've already gutted the garage door, guard rails, and a shelving unit (it's upside down in the pic, gonna turn that into a table!)

There are vents down the sides. I am not quite sure what to do with these other than use a lower one for passive exhaust? [edit: I decided to put tyvek over the vents, going to do an active exhaust out front wall]

Put a 90% shade cloth over it. Helps a lot, roof use to be too hot to even touch, now it's only warm by 4pm.

Originally I placed the shade cloth directly on the roof and it did barely anything. So I built a 2x4 frame with some scraps to give about 4" of clearance and works nicely. It probably won't rain again in my area until September, by which time I'll take down this shitty wood frame.

Finished insulating the inside. 4x8' rigid foam, 3" R12. I spray foamed every joint, this type of foam was not have tongue and groove style. Took about 5 cans a spray foam and cost less than $1000 CAD

The fruiting chamber is going to be all sealed with panda film, so the lumber in the middle shouldn't get too moist. If all goes well, in less than a year I'll be taking out the middle wall and using the entire space for fruiting.
I had to cut out a stud on the front wall because it was directly where I wanted to run the intake vent.

I also installed this aluminum plate, salvaged from when I gutted the van box. I can't hang the intake fan from the roof because it's not strong enough, and putting it on the side wall would take up a lot of shelf space. So I will be mounting the fan into this plate, through the 3' foam.

Mounted Ventech 6' 440CFM. More than I need for a 8x10 space, but by next spring I hope to open the dividing wall and have 8x18 FC. The left side is a T section, intended to be a simple air mixing chamber. The right is a 90 bend that is not quite 90 so that I can mount a poly tube a bit higher and run it down middle on ceiling. You can see my current shaded greenhouse in the background.

This is the intake with a DIY electrostatic filter as described by liloldme in his build. It feels like the fan draws about 70% from the inside and 30% fresh air from outside. I can partially block either intake to promote FEA or inside air mixing, which I'll likely do on cold nights to keep the air moving without drawing in cold air.

Had to install this aluminum bar so that the humidifier would have something to hang on, another annoyance of 3' rigid foam:

Panda Film on all the wall and used a tarp zipper to divide the fruiting chamber from the incubation space (already looking forward to building a separate incubation space and removing that wall). Used folded duct tape and PL Weather/Sound barrier Glue (didn't work great) to hang the Panda Film. I tried to round off all the edges at the ceiling to promote air circulation.

This is the intake+recirculation 6" 440cfm with the 4" 181cfm exhaust. I expected this combo to make the chamber positively pressured but it's actually negatively pressures. It seemed the 440cfm barely draws on the intake vent at all and the 181cfm forces it to.

Mounted humidifier and how it gets sucked into the recirculation duct.

Shelves are 5 feet high, starting 6" off the ground and then every 18" for a total of 4 shelves (missing top shelf because Home Depot ran out of mounting brackets). I used 1" EMT that I cut down to 8'. When I open the middle wall, I can add a full 10' shelf, making 18' of shelving down each wall. The sides are 20 gauge metal studs. Shelves have a 10" overhang at the edges, so the span across the middle is only about 6', so no bowing yet. I would have loved to make the shelves wider and taller so that there was more spawn between each bag and shelf, but these were the dimensions that fit the space. I also have an air gap against the wall. The LEDs are 2835, 600 LEDs per strip. I didn't bother trying the sticky back they come with because I don't trust it and would be nice to be able to remove it easily, so I mounted it to the shelving with zip-ties and to the ceiling with clear tape. Note that I put it on the back bar of the front shelf, so it gives great coverage of the front of the back bags and moderate coverage of the front bags, which should be improved when I have the opposite shelf installed.

And my first round of bags with the ventilation tube installed! It seems to be doing a decent job of pushing air across the ceiling and down the walls, but I expect lots of tweaking once I have the room loaded.

Pinks started to fruit in under 12 hours in new FC. They are fruiting out the tiny air holes rather than the slits I put into the bags :waits:

Finished top shelf too.

Edited by flyontoast (08/05/17 05:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: flyontoast]
    #24424685 - 06/21/17 06:29 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Hate to say ,because of expense , spray foam would be the bomb in that. Taking little to no space and sealed. That is nice !

--------------------

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

#24424722 - 06/21/17 06:43 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking of insulating with this, but the 3 inches (not listed on their site). It has R-12 and reflective foil:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.96x48x2.1000747905.html

edit: As you said, expense. I'd be using cans of spray foam around all the seams though.

--------------------
:mushroom: My trade list :mushroom:
Looking for strong terrestrial fruiters for an outdoor beds experiment:
Agaricus Bitorquis, Agaricus Augustus, Agaricus blazei/subrufescens, Stropharia Rugoso-annulata, Clitocybe Nuda (blewits), and any species or other genus that you think work outdoors.
Also, any commercially viable Pleurotus, cold or hot strains.
Thanks for the Q&A, trades, and all the posters & teachers that have come before us  :skol:

Edited by flyontoast (06/21/17 06:47 PM)

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #24425791 - 06/22/17 04:16 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Like I said before fiberglass rolls are the cheapest option and don't take up any interior space.  6mil tarps are cheap and really don't look bad once you tighten them down.  Don't spray foam your interior, that smooth metal would be a breeze to clean in the grow room.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: drake89]
    #24426632 - 06/22/17 12:56 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
Like I said before fiberglass rolls are the cheapest option and don't take up any interior space.  6mil tarps are cheap and really don't look bad once you tighten them down.  Don't spray foam your interior, that smooth metal would be a breeze to clean in the grow room.

Thanks for the tip drake, I like the idea of saving money and not wasting interior space, but I need a crane truck to lift this and a driver willing to take it on the highway. Once I reach the new location, and if I want to turn it into a 12 month fruiting chamber, I'll happily take out the dividing wall to make a 18' fruiting room, insulate and wrap the outside, and put in a heat pump. Plus those walls aren't going to be as easy to clean as they look in the pic. Where the floor meets the wall, there's a 2" gap and about 6" down that you can't reach and isn't air tight. Each horizontal support is also 2" from the wall. I think I'd rather wipe down panda film and guarantee a positively pressured fruiting chamber.

Since I have upper and lower vents, I was thinking that, in the summer, I open the upper vent for passive exhaust and insulate the lower vents (with a wedge of rigid foam). And in the winter, block the upper vent and use the lower vents for passive air. Does that make sense? Hoping to get around having to AC and just fruit what can handle the temps for this season. I'll be putting 90% shade cloths over the top (with a gap).

--------------------
Agaricus Bitorquis, Agaricus Augustus, Agaricus blazei/subrufescens, Stropharia Rugoso-annulata, Clitocybe Nuda (blewits), and any species or other genus that you think work outdoors.
Thanks for the Q&A, trades, and all the posters & teachers that have come before us  :skol:

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24426685 - 06/22/17 01:35 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Ah I didn't see that.  I dunno are you selling mushrooms?  Qulaity is a bit shit without active air exchange and AC for me.  Unless you aren't growing oysters that is..

--------------------

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

#24426749 - 06/22/17 02:16 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I am currently selling oysters. Long story, but we are/were a new mix veg + mushrooms farm but this spring has been the wettest and coldest in decades and our field has been so flooded weren't able break land until 1 week ago, and the only thing we have been able to grow (poorly due to cold weather) is oysters in our shaded greenhouse. But a few local restaurants pay us $15/lb (a standing order of 45lbs just for 3 restaurants so far which we can't meet), so we are investing what money we have left into the mushroom side of our farm since the field has been a money pit, hence why we are moving to new land. So we need a more temp stable incubation space and fruiting chamber since last week it was too cold for our oysters to even fruit, causing us to miss out on a week of sales and look like fucking amateurs to the chefs, which we are lol.
I'd like to grow kings, chestnut, piopinni, and a few others experimentally in 1/3 the indoor chamber and 2/3 for oysters to at least meet our restaurants demand when combined with our greenhouses. Extra goes to market with our veggies (if/when!). All the chefs have expressed interest in anything I can supply and don't mind changing with the season, so if it's too hot for kings for the next 3 months, that's ok. Really the focus is on oysters at this point.
This is really a last-ditch effort to salvage our investments at least in the mushroom side of our operation. This van box was originally suppose to be cold storage for our veggies, but since we don't have veggies to store, we're doing this :smile: Plus a farmer down the street offered us cheap rent of their cold storage if/when our veggies ever start producing.
All that to say I do intend to install FAE but no AC if I can avoid it, then hopefully be able to re-invest in improvements in the fall. liloldme did a positive pressure/passive exhaust design, so I hoped that could work in my situation too.

--------------------

InvisibleBlueIndian
Maestro
 User Gallery

#24428911 - 06/23/17 10:58 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

There are insulation company's that have mobile rigs to spray the foam. They have spray guns attached to 55 gal drums of that stuff. If you were just doing the floor someone could prob be in and out of there in an hour time. Prob be cheaper than cases of spray cans.

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: BlueIndian]
    #24429527 - 06/23/17 03:23 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Spray it green.com and you could DIY for $700, on credit if you have paypal credit.  One 600 sqft kit would probably do your van at 1-2" on walls

--------------------

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

#24445607 - 06/29/17 07:43 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Updated the OP with progress. I did 3" rigid foam for less than $1000 CAD. I calculated that it would have been $2500 CAD for 3" to do spray foam myself and no local company wanted to do "such a small job." Only 1 company said they'd do it for $4000; no thanks.

--------------------

Edited by flyontoast (07/09/17 01:35 PM)

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24446569 - 06/30/17 08:50 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Lookin good mate! Cool idea!

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24465114 - 07/07/17 01:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Updated OP with pics of ventilation. Gonna clean-up today so I can start using the back incubation space with black plastic shelving that I already own. Then mount the humidifier under the "mixing chamber" and run panda film. Hopefully can get to custom shelving this weekend, but our field needs some attention too :P

--------------------

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24465181 - 07/07/17 01:33 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:awedance:

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

OfflineDesert-D
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24466043 - 07/07/17 07:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'm digging the build thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: Desert-D]
    #24467600 - 07/08/17 12:07 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Looking really good man! Your going to want to mount that IF-6 to be blowing down. 2 reasons, water and crap will collect inside the housing when blowing sideways like that, and you wont be able to hose it down while running without removing it.

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: Gr0wer]
    #24469695 - 07/09/17 10:13 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys!
Quote:

Gr0wer said:
Looking really good man! Your going to want to mount that IF-6 to be blowing down. 2 reasons, water and crap will collect inside the housing when blowing sideways like that, and you wont be able to hose it down while running without removing it.

I couldn't agree more, and it's certainly a major concern. But currently I don't have the space to mount it any other way and be able to positive pressure the chamber. I really like the way liloldme set-up their mixer-intake, but I don't have an end wall to hang mine on. In the spring I plan to remove the dividing wall and can move my mixer do the end wall at that point. Until then, this fan just has to survive 3-4 months until it's too cold to grow and I'll just have to take it down to clean it.
Do you think covering the mixing intake with a few layers of electrostatic filter would help? It claims to clean mold spores out of the air. I'll give it a shot, got lots of it left over, I'd rather change that every couple of weeks than have to take the fan down to clean.

--------------------

Offlinethunderfarm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oklahoma, USA Flag
    #24469727 - 07/09/17 10:28 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

fly, could you make a simple stand out of steel tubing that would have four legs and mount your fan at the top facing down?  This assumes that the space under your fan is available. Another option is to secure it to your side walls using steel tubing or wire that spans between the walls. Just a few ideas to consider.

--------------------

OfflineBoromyc
Stranger
Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: thunderfarm]
    #24470340 - 07/09/17 02:38 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I really like that you made a frame for your shade cloth. I keep seeing people wrap the shade cloth directly on the chamber/room, which seems to sort of diminish the logic of using a shade cloth in the first place. It's just not a very effective way of utilizing the design/concept, as you have found through your experience. Nice tweak.

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

Re: Fruiting Chamber Build, Van Box/Trailer Conversion (pics) [Re: Boromyc]
    #24470435 - 07/09/17 03:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thunderfarm said:
fly, could you make a simple stand out of steel tubing that would have four legs and mount your fan at the top facing down?  This assumes that the space under your fan is available. Another option is to secure it to your side walls using steel tubing or wire that spans between the walls. Just a few ideas to consider.

Yeah, right now I don't have space under the fan. And since it's in front of the door, rather than at the end wall, I have to somehow divert it into the middle otherwise it'd be blowing directly against a shelf.
But when I open the middle wall, I'll for sure be mounting it at the end wall pointing downward.
Quote:

Boromyc said:
I really like that you made a frame for your shade cloth. I keep seeing people wrap the shade cloth directly on the chamber/room, which seems to sort of diminish the logic of using a shade cloth in the first place. It's just not a very effective way of utilizing the design/concept, as you have found through your experience. Nice tweak.

Yeah, for ag crops they recommend at least 3 feet of clearance over the plants to allow the hot air to escape. When I move I'll try to build a real roof or at least extend the shade cloth outward 3-4 feet so there's an overhang. I didn't have to use as much lumber as I did either now that I see how effective the strings are, I'd do like an A frame roof with strings for the long runs.

--------------------

Invisibleflyontoast
 User Gallery

#24470473 - 07/09/17 03:24 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Started to fill the back incubation space! Already owned a bunch of those black plastic shelves, so they will do.
Did "mini-logs", about 8lbs each of grain hulls. Each shelving unit holds 32 bags (the way I spaced them), so I should be able to fit around 180 bags total. Right now it's not conditioned and stays between 17C low and 25C high (62-77F) when it's 30C outside (86F). Might have to do a portable space AC and duct it out one of the side vents (cut away a section of the insulation foam).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck