Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Colombia, South America Flag
Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is)
    #24378755 - 06/05/17 07:39 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Alright first the cultures... there's 3 that have the long ropey mycelial growth that "they" say you need to look for.  It's really hard to take pics in these jars because of their exquisite design.  Transfer again or take it to the grain?

Also, is sorghum any different from rye in how it is prepared?  I figured I would soak for 6 hours or so, strain, add to water, bring to boil, wait 30 minutes and strain again.  put into jars, PC.  ya.

thoughts?

--------------------
On a quest to find the undiscovered mushrooms in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of the Caribbean coast of Colombia, South America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: eldearmano]
    #24378836 - 06/05/17 08:21 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

There isn't terribly much info on sorghum as grain spawn and I have yet to see someone try sorghum / milo / rye side by side to see how they compare. Most people that have used it on these forums say it performs as well as rye, while others swear by it. You can prepare them with RogerRabbit's Rye Grain tek just the same.

P.S. Red Milo is red sorghum.

--------------------

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: Rapjack]
    #24378892 - 06/05/17 08:36 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rapjack said:
There isn't terribly much info on sorghum as grain spawn and I have yet to see someone try sorghum / milo / rye side by side to see how they compare. Most people that have used it on these forums say it performs as well as rye, while others swear by it. You can prepare them with RogerRabbit's Rye Grain tek just the same.

P.S. Red Milo is red sorghum.

AHH ok, cool, I can get either one.  I tried the red stuff first but don't think I let it boil long enough

thanks!

--------------------
On a quest to find the undiscovered mushrooms in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of the Caribbean coast of Colombia, South America.

OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: eldearmano]
    #24378965 - 06/05/17 08:57 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Hell yeah! Post results!!
Some people say red sorghum is superior to white for it's nutritional content, but once again I haven't seen this tested.

--------------------

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: Rapjack]
    #24379004 - 06/05/17 09:09 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Dunno if I have the right control variables to make anything statistically relevant... I'll start with the white stuff to get a feel for it... also because I have it on hand.  I ruined all the red stuff, good news is it is cheap as chips!

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24379012 - 06/05/17 09:12 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

how do you ruin it?

soak it 24hrs. drain. load slightly wet. pc 15psi 2hrs. let sit 24hrs. perfect.

milo/millet.. sorghum.. WBS shit. do not add heat. just soak. adding heat is a variable you do not need.
make it right the first time with a soak, know what to look for. then add heat for the next batches.

otherwise you are blindly guessing when its done unless youve made it a billion times.

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: mushboy]
    #24379089 - 06/05/17 09:37 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I did this the last time - let it sit for 24 hours and then straight to PC after a paper towel dry.  Mycelium didn't run, substrate was too dry from what I saw.  I'll try the soak for 24 hours with the white, and see what happens.

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24379115 - 06/05/17 09:45 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

soaked 24hrs? the grains were not dry. the myc didnt run??

maybe the inoculate was fucked? those plates look awful honestly. overgrown and reactionary looking. id take more transfers and dont let them grow out.

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: mushboy]
    #24380268 - 06/05/17 05:32 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

don't you want it fully colonized before you transfer a wedge to agar?

I'm going to try it again, tomorrow I'll PC and see how it goes.

--------------------

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24381609 - 06/06/17 07:14 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
soaked 24hrs? the grains were not dry. the myc didnt run??

maybe the inoculate was fucked? those plates look awful honestly. overgrown and reactionary looking. id take more transfers and dont let them grow out.

How do you mean reactionary? Overgrown, perhaps if the mission was to transfer to agar.  but I was hoping these were clean enough to inoculate. 

There's no black or green shit in them this time, which is 100% better than the last trial I did.

--------------------

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24381622 - 06/06/17 07:19 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I made jars and jars of millet, quinoa, and sorghum.
They all grew fine, but had a lot of sludge that required cleaning off when Spawning. Always like That, so I moved to rye.
Maybe a mixture would be better?
I did straight millet, which was the sludgiest, sorghum was much better, quinoa was sticky.

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24394105 - 06/10/17 03:02 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

here goes

--------------------

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24403078 - 06/13/17 05:25 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

update day 3

I drop the piece in and shake a little bit after the seal is tight.

There's a few areas of concern, one of them is in the picture.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24403301 - 06/13/17 06:42 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

In the future don't let your cultures hit the edge of the plate, 2/3rds of the plates tops

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineKenetic
Nam Sayin
 User Gallery

Loc: I don't believe in land Flag
Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: mushpunx]
    #24403441 - 06/13/17 07:41 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I use rye and millet (seperately) all the time.  The rye available to me seems to have a high endospore count, but it colonizes fast.  Millet, however is clean.  I never even rinse it, just throw boiling water in a bucket and let it sit until the next day when I get off work.  Drain and pc for 2 hours.  Love it.

--------------------
Todo Cambia

:cookiemonster::elmo:

DMT said: Everyone know's me, they just don't know it yet

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: mushpunx]
    #24405815 - 06/14/17 04:45 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
In the future don't let your cultures hit the edge of the plate, 2/3rds of the plates tops

will do.  i made more.plates to try another transfer.  i read on here it can take up to 6 transfers.  but i feel like im getting better at it.  good practice

--------------------

Invisibleeldearmano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: Kenetic]
    #24405819 - 06/14/17 04:46 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

if mush's 24 hour soak doesnt work ill give it a try. 

thanks hermanos!

--------------------

Offlinesandyfountain
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24405895 - 06/14/17 05:12 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:

why's that?  will the edge of the plate slow the jump to grains?

OfflineKenetic
Nam Sayin
 User Gallery

Loc: I don't believe in land Flag
Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: sandyfountain]
    #24406321 - 06/14/17 08:04 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Its hard to see contams on a fully colonized plate.  Not a deal breaker though

--------------------
Todo Cambia

:cookiemonster::elmo:

DMT said: Everyone know's me, they just don't know it yet

Offlinesandyfountain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I cut wedges now? Agar to sorghum or milo (whatever that is) [Re: Kenetic]
    #24406709 - 06/14/17 11:28 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kenetic said:
Its hard to see contams on a fully colonized plate.  Not a deal breaker though

oh, good.  I have a plate that's knotting up and has a pin starting and I didn't have time to get my grains soaked and PCd just yet. Hopefully tomorrow.  stupid work getting in the way of fun hobby time

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate