Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Face Shields * 2
    #24202746 - 03/29/17 02:15 PM (7 years, 17 hours ago)

hi everyone, i just wanted to share a tip i have been utilizing of late

whether in a SAB or in front of a flowhood, i always get uncomfortable wearing the mask. i get hot and sweaty and nauseous (which is already an issue for me, chronic GI problems), and when i get like that its no fun at all

SAB work really got to me in the summer, since i couldnt even turn on a fan to cool me down without disrupting the still air. the flow hood is a bit better because there is at least a constant breeze, but i still find myself sweating and hot from the mask

to remedy this, i have tried all kinds of masks, even tried a breathing tube lol... that worked, but wasnt comfortable either

finally, while watching the wonderful David Attenborough's nature stuff, i had the thought to start using the standard face shields, like he uses with this spitting cobra:

especially for the flow hood where there is an air current in your face, the shield seems block my breathing and blow it out to the sides, where it cannot interfere with the materials in the laminar flow area. it also helps block hair, skin cells, etc, that might fall off the face, and prevents contacts drying out which can be caused by a constant FH breeze in your face. i can still wear a respirator under the shield, but it is not necessary in most cases

these kinds of face shields are very clear and dont compromise your vision at all, and easily flip up

i recently picked up a new type that i am in love with, the bionic face shield with anti fog coating. this thing is perfect for my needs, face is totally comfortable and vision is unobstructed :laugh:

this shield is also VERY handy when cutting wood or grinding something, much more effective than safety glasses... i wish i had had it while i was building my hood, i kept getting splinters and sawdust in my eyes and it hurt like hell!

anyways, just wanted to share the tip in case anyone else finds masks uncomfortable for multi-hour SAB/FH sessions. face shields offer a much more comfortable way to achieve roughly the same ends. the bionic model is extremely comfortable to wear, i usually forget i have it on

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

Re: Face Shields [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #24202976 - 03/29/17 03:44 PM (7 years, 16 hours ago)

Whats it cost?

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: Face Shields [Re: bastard4life]
    #24203064 - 03/29/17 04:11 PM (7 years, 15 hours ago)

between $10 for one like davids, $22 for the standard bionic one, and $35 for the one i got with extra chin support, antifog, washable comfort sweatbands, etc

i have both, always been fine with the cheap ones, but the bionic kind is damn comfy, has fog-proof coating, and has chin support (which is good to have in case something flies off and hits me in the face while i am grinding it)

ive bought 4 or 5 pairs of goggles over the years, always the nicest i could find, to try to protect my contacts from sawdust, and they always fog up and get hot.... i wish i had never bought any of those and had just gotten the full face mask from the beginning, thing is damn handy for sterile work, woodworking, and metalworking

--------------------

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

― Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24203091 - 03/29/17 04:18 PM (7 years, 15 hours ago)

I got a facemask for when I grind/clean shit but for a SAB, it would get in the way of all the weed I smoke when I work :rofl:

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisibleJvF
Fletcher Detcher

Loc: Chicago Flag
    #24203146 - 03/29/17 04:34 PM (7 years, 15 hours ago)

I would buy that for no other reason than looking like a complete badass whn i grow.

I think i will get one actually, and use it in combimation with a surgical mask purely for aesthtic reasons.

Nice post!

--------------------

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

Re: Face Shields [Re: Mad Season]
    #24203158 - 03/29/17 04:40 PM (7 years, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
I got a facemask for when I grind/clean shit but for a SAB, it would get in the way of all the weed I smoke when I work :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24203201 - 03/29/17 04:59 PM (7 years, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:

its got that covered bro! i wouldnt be able to use it if it didnt haha.... thats one of my main problems with standard face masks, how often i have to take it off to smoke! im really glad you pointed that out :laugh:

it flips back on a pivot (all adjustable, super ergonomic headband and flip function, i guess thats what "bionic" means haha)

works absolutely perfectly with your favorite cannabis apparatus. the ease of using this and smoking is probably the #2 reason i got it, behind comfort vs mask :smile:

(i love technology :wink:)

have an enail built into my coffee table and my desk, i am building a custom table around a closet for the flow hood i built last week, it will have a built-in enail FOR SURE  :pipesmoke:

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

#24203226 - 03/29/17 05:08 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

That's cool

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24203234 - 03/29/17 05:12 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

Just thought about trying sab work with a gas mask bong :hehehe:

Yeah truthfully I'd consider it if I had a flowhood. With a SAB I am very minimal in my sterility lol. Don't even wear gloves tbh.

--------------------

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

#24203248 - 03/29/17 05:17 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

How do you get away with no gloves? I tried it thinking I was a bad ass and got a buttload of bacteria.

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

#24203255 - 03/29/17 05:19 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

I don't wear gloves either when I SAB. Not even g2g. But I do keep a bottle of germx next to my SAB just in case I feel "dirty" or my hands are out the box more than 10 seconds.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Face Shields [Re: Dactylium] * 1
    #24203258 - 03/29/17 05:21 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

Grab the scalpel from the butt, like a paint brush, it even cuts more precisely when you get used to it. I wear gloves though, they don't bother me at all.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Face Shields [Re: Dactylium]
    #24203260 - 03/29/17 05:22 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Dactylium said:
How do you get away with no gloves? I tried it thinking I was a bad ass and got a buttload of bacteria.

Check my improve your sterile techniques link in my signature :wink:

The reason I stopped wearing gloves was because I ran out and decided to do work before buying more, found that I had success without it so I said fuck it. I do PC my scalpels tho, since that's what goes over open media. Haven't bought any gloves for a long ass time now.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

#24203294 - 03/29/17 05:36 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

I boil my scalpel a minimum of 20 minutes if I am not using the pc. I use a bernzomatic torch to get the blade red hot. And I move as swiftly yet carefully as possible. Once your used to the rhythm it's easy.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24203336 - 03/29/17 05:51 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

bastard4life said:
I boil my scalpel a minimum of 20 minutes if I am not using the pc. I use a bernzomatic torch to get the blade red hot. And I move as swiftly yet carefully as possible. Once your used to the rhythm it's easy.

I've never sterilized my scalpel. I give it a quick wipe with iso and I torch it red hot, I hit some of the handle too

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24203693 - 03/29/17 08:07 PM (7 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
Just thought about trying sab work with a gas mask bong :hehehe:

Yeah truthfully I'd consider it if I had a flowhood. With a SAB I am very minimal in my sterility lol. Don't even wear gloves tbh.

that mighty vape (handheld volcano, same company) rocks flavor wise, i have a little custom hose attachment i would keep in my mouth sometimes while doing agar work like an oxygen patient haha... cant beat co2 cartridges for convenience though

you definitely can get away with not wearing gloves, by making liberal use of iso and understanding how a SAB/FH works. remember, you can never get your SAB sterile enough to do clean work, the principle at work is still air not sterile chamber. by leveraging this, and making sure you dont drop any hairs/etc on the plates, you can certainly do clean work without gloves

ive been kinda fixated on lab equipment since i was a kid; i have quite a bit and like playin with it haha... i have surgical gowns that i use on a rare occasion (usually too hot) and like the heavy duty black nitrile gloves which are easy to wipe down with iso and reuse. I have a butane bunsen burner which is AWESOME, so much faster and cleaner than an alcohol lamp, Blazer brand products are great

i keep a bunch of scalpels on hand, and a 100 pack of a few blade #s (mainly use #11). I wrap them individually in foil and sterilize with agar, and unwrap and use as needed. probably not totally needed, but makes it easier to figure out what happened if something goes wrong

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24205153 - 03/30/17 11:41 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

im in love with this face shield :laugh:

i did a few hundred plates yesterday and have never been so comfortable while doing clean work :cool:

plus i look like the bad guy from a spy movie

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

#24205214 - 03/30/17 12:04 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Or the hero depending on the movie.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds